Prothesis

Options
JoMama54
JoMama54 Member Posts: 78
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hey Chili and CR1954 how are your guys doing with your breast prothesis? I have found by the end of the day I am sure ready to get ride of it for some freedom, and I still have a slight creeping up on one side. But I feel a whole lot better in public.
Hugs to all my pink sisters!!
JoMama

Comments

• rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Options
    Hi Jomama
    I guess i too will be looking for the right prostheses. I had a friend/survivor give me hers after she had reconstruction done. It was the right size and i was thrilled. Lately i have thought it was a little bigger and is becoming uncomfortable. So another friend/survivor brought me hers yesterday. She left before i tried them on. I put both of them on one side and still to little ha ha. then it dropped out sometime and i didn I I't notice it.I have been looking for it all morning! God only knows..maybe my dog used it for a chew toy! At least she doesn't need them back..but i'm still searching. Moral of the story..just like Goldilocks i will have to find one that is JUST RIGHT.
    hugs
    jackie

P.S. your new pic just popped up and i love it. So funny!
  • Wibby
    Wibby Member Posts: 27
    Options
    I Agree
    JoMama,
    I love the picture!
    I know what you mean about wanting to get rid of the prosthesis by the end of the day. When I first got it a year ago, I couldn't wear it all day - it was uncomfortable and the skin under it became itchy. I don't have those problems now, but I just like the freedom of going without when I'm on vacation. I have a swimming prosthesis - it holds up well in chlorinated water. I don't think it's the same size as my other prosthesis as I look quite unbalanced when I'm wearing it. I think I need a smaller size. I actually forgot to wear it one day and nobody said anything....what would they say anyway? A little lopsided today are we? I am still uncomfortable in the locker room and put my bra on in the toilet stalls if there are others changing at the same time. I hope I get braver.
    My best to you!
    Libby
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Wibby said:

I Agree
    JoMama,
    I love the picture!
    I know what you mean about wanting to get rid of the prosthesis by the end of the day. When I first got it a year ago, I couldn't wear it all day - it was uncomfortable and the skin under it became itchy. I don't have those problems now, but I just like the freedom of going without when I'm on vacation. I have a swimming prosthesis - it holds up well in chlorinated water. I don't think it's the same size as my other prosthesis as I look quite unbalanced when I'm wearing it. I think I need a smaller size. I actually forgot to wear it one day and nobody said anything....what would they say anyway? A little lopsided today are we? I am still uncomfortable in the locker room and put my bra on in the toilet stalls if there are others changing at the same time. I hope I get braver.
    My best to you!
    Libby

Me too
    I currently have expanders and plan on reconstruction, but I am self-conscious about the mastectomy scars. I think our breasts are so much a part of what it means to be female that it just has an effect on most of us that we can't really explain. Anyway, here's a raised glass to greater bravery for all of us.

Best wishes, seof
  • ritazimm
    ritazimm Member Posts: 171
    Options
    seof said:

Me too
    I currently have expanders and plan on reconstruction, but I am self-conscious about the mastectomy scars. I think our breasts are so much a part of what it means to be female that it just has an effect on most of us that we can't really explain. Anyway, here's a raised glass to greater bravery for all of us.

Best wishes, seof

self consciousness
    I was thinking one day (I seldom do that) and thought that even though it is covered to others I really think that we go through the same thing emotionally as people that lose a limb. I know I was so self conscious before my recent surgery. Although my friends said that it was undetectable to others, I always thought others were noticing. If I would see someone looking my way, or quickly looking away, or those that refuse to look you in the eyes, I was sure that they thought I was a freak. VERY much over reacting to things around me. I suspect that these are similar thoughts of others with obvious physical differences even though ours are covered up. Afterall, we are losing a part of our bodies. This has to have some emotional effects, doesn't it?

Just thinking out loud here.
  • crazylady55
    crazylady55 Member Posts: 92
    Options
    ritazimm said:

self consciousness
    I was thinking one day (I seldom do that) and thought that even though it is covered to others I really think that we go through the same thing emotionally as people that lose a limb. I know I was so self conscious before my recent surgery. Although my friends said that it was undetectable to others, I always thought others were noticing. If I would see someone looking my way, or quickly looking away, or those that refuse to look you in the eyes, I was sure that they thought I was a freak. VERY much over reacting to things around me. I suspect that these are similar thoughts of others with obvious physical differences even though ours are covered up. Afterall, we are losing a part of our bodies. This has to have some emotional effects, doesn't it?

Just thinking out loud here.

also self conscious
    I had a right mastectomy two weeks ago today. I am just wearing the fiberfilled "temporary" prosthesis. I feel so strange in public but even more so around people who know me because the two sides definitely don't match. I am wearing the baggiest blouses that I own. I feel people looking at me so I have decided maybe I will just not wear my wig and will assume that they are looking at my bald head instead of my lopsided chest.

I am going to be fitted for a regular prosthesis next week and the dr. said I should be healed enough to start wearing it then. Any suggestions about fit or making it "match" my 53 year old lft side?

I am going to have reconstruction but not for a while because I still have to do radiation and because of my Lupus there are skin issues and healing to consider before reconstruct.

also, not meaning to whine or ramble on but how long does it take to get over how awful it looks when you are undressed? I showered without looking at it for the first week. My husband is wonderful and extremely supportive but I had not even let him see me without a shirt on until my emergency room visit on Saturday(a really long story). I hope I get over these feelings soon because it is even worse than the chemo depression.
  • ritazimm
    ritazimm Member Posts: 171
    Options

also self conscious
    I had a right mastectomy two weeks ago today. I am just wearing the fiberfilled "temporary" prosthesis. I feel so strange in public but even more so around people who know me because the two sides definitely don't match. I am wearing the baggiest blouses that I own. I feel people looking at me so I have decided maybe I will just not wear my wig and will assume that they are looking at my bald head instead of my lopsided chest.

I am going to be fitted for a regular prosthesis next week and the dr. said I should be healed enough to start wearing it then. Any suggestions about fit or making it "match" my 53 year old lft side?

I am going to have reconstruction but not for a while because I still have to do radiation and because of my Lupus there are skin issues and healing to consider before reconstruct.

also, not meaning to whine or ramble on but how long does it take to get over how awful it looks when you are undressed? I showered without looking at it for the first week. My husband is wonderful and extremely supportive but I had not even let him see me without a shirt on until my emergency room visit on Saturday(a really long story). I hope I get over these feelings soon because it is even worse than the chemo depression.

Hey crazylady
    That should definitely be my name!

I hate to tell you this but it may take a while to 'get over' those yucky feelings. Of course everyone is different but for me I don't think I have gotten over it (mastectomy was 11/15/07) but I have gotten past it. I mean I have gotten used to it and I can look at it in the mirror and not break out in tears but if I take the time to look at it and think about all the changes it hsa brought in my life I still lose it. I hate cancer, I hate what it has done to my body, I hate what it has done to my mind, and I hate how much it has caused my family to have to hurt. But, right now don't worry about when the feelings will go away, just worry about today. It really is one day, one step at a time. After taking one step at a time you will eventually see how far you have gone. It is a slow but steady kind of race. Keep the faith!

God bless!
    Rita
  • crazylady55
    crazylady55 Member Posts: 92
    Options
    ritazimm said:

Hey crazylady
    That should definitely be my name!

I hate to tell you this but it may take a while to 'get over' those yucky feelings. Of course everyone is different but for me I don't think I have gotten over it (mastectomy was 11/15/07) but I have gotten past it. I mean I have gotten used to it and I can look at it in the mirror and not break out in tears but if I take the time to look at it and think about all the changes it hsa brought in my life I still lose it. I hate cancer, I hate what it has done to my body, I hate what it has done to my mind, and I hate how much it has caused my family to have to hurt. But, right now don't worry about when the feelings will go away, just worry about today. It really is one day, one step at a time. After taking one step at a time you will eventually see how far you have gone. It is a slow but steady kind of race. Keep the faith!

God bless!
    Rita

Thanks
    Thanks Rita for your kind thoughts. You are right I do really need to look at as one step at a time. My sweet husband helps to keep my head on straight, last week when I complained that it maybe a year until I can have reconstruction, he said "what's a year compaired to the 30 we have had together". I keep telling myself that I need to be more thankful that chemo was not so bad (only one 4 day hospital stay) and so far my recovery from the surgery has not been too bad (a mild scare on Saturday that turned out to be nothing).

Any advice about prosthesis types or whatever?

God Bless all of you
  • JoMama54
    JoMama54 Member Posts: 78
    Options

Thanks
    Thanks Rita for your kind thoughts. You are right I do really need to look at as one step at a time. My sweet husband helps to keep my head on straight, last week when I complained that it maybe a year until I can have reconstruction, he said "what's a year compaired to the 30 we have had together". I keep telling myself that I need to be more thankful that chemo was not so bad (only one 4 day hospital stay) and so far my recovery from the surgery has not been too bad (a mild scare on Saturday that turned out to be nothing).

Any advice about prosthesis types or whatever?

God Bless all of you

New Picture
    Wibby, My grandkids think that is my persian cat "Lucy". I told them that is what she does when I am not at home...........and they believe me and giggle and tell everyone Lucy drinks beer! Oh how I love those little stinkers.
    Thank you ladies for you comments, it always helps to know what everyone else is feeling!
    Love you guys, JoMama
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    JoMama54 said:

New Picture
    Wibby, My grandkids think that is my persian cat "Lucy". I told them that is what she does when I am not at home...........and they believe me and giggle and tell everyone Lucy drinks beer! Oh how I love those little stinkers.
    Thank you ladies for you comments, it always helps to know what everyone else is feeling!
    Love you guys, JoMama

JoMama...
    LOLOL on the pic!! I love it!!

I feel comfortable wearing my new "girl" for a few hours. Then, I can't wait to take it off. They ( 2 fitters) spent a lot of time with me, getting the correct prosthesis and bras, so I know everything is right, but it just becomes kind of uncomfortable after wearing it for awhile.
    At home, if i'm not expecting anyone, I still just wear an undershirt.

However, I will say that it has made me feel better about how I look. It truly has. My self esteem has bounced.

Now, to just grow enough hair so that I can get rid of the scarves!

Love ya!
    CR