Question about 5 hour energy drink

Options
dorookie
dorookie Member Posts: 1,731 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Has anyone tried the 5 hour energy drink? If so how did it work? I am tired of being tired and not having any energy. I dont like the other drinks that have so much sugar in them and thought that maybe thnis one would be better. Any input is greatly apprecaited.

Thanks
Beth

Comments

• kimby
    kimby Member Posts: 797
    Options
    Energy Drink
    Beth,

I don't think you are going to feel less tired if you take an energy drink. Talk to your onc, there are things they can do that will help more. My doc likes Ritalin, but since I am ADD anyway (I know you're all shocked :O) it just makes me more tired. Some docs will prescribe other things. I find that a walk everyday makes me less tired - even a short one. Swimming also helps but I'm having trouble finding a local pool right now (really rural area) so I'm waiting for spring so I can open my own pool for the season.

Work with your doc first. Energy drinks will make things worse, IMHO.

Kimby
  • snommintj
    snommintj Member Posts: 601
    Options
    kimby said:

Energy Drink
    Beth,

I don't think you are going to feel less tired if you take an energy drink. Talk to your onc, there are things they can do that will help more. My doc likes Ritalin, but since I am ADD anyway (I know you're all shocked :O) it just makes me more tired. Some docs will prescribe other things. I find that a walk everyday makes me less tired - even a short one. Swimming also helps but I'm having trouble finding a local pool right now (really rural area) so I'm waiting for spring so I can open my own pool for the season.

Kimby

When I drive long distances
    The only time I take anything like that is when I have to drive long distance. I figure the safety aspect outweighs any harmful effects of the very occasional usage. I never really experienced any fatigue with my treatment. Of course I could be wrong. Is fatigue not wanting to do anything or not being able to do anything. I didn't feel like doing anything but was never unable to do it. Anyway, I have used the 5 hour energy once and it was very effective. I had a drive of about 10 hours, half way through I took the 5hr energy and didn't get tired at all. I would say it is more effective than a few cups of coffee. Of course I seldom take anything so the effects on me might be slightly magnified. I see no harm in trying one but I would highly suggest avoiding it as a routine.
  • dorookie
    Options
    kimby said:

Energy Drink
    Beth,

Kimby

Okay
    Will check with the Doc, I know I need to be more active, its I just dont have the engery or the want to, I guess. I am taking antidepressants and seeing a counselor, what else can I do? I hope the Doc can give me something, but I am already taking so many stupid pills, just hate it. Any way thanks for the reply.

God Bless
    Beth
  • snommintj
    snommintj Member Posts: 601
    Options
    dorookie said:

Okay
    Will check with the Doc, I know I need to be more active, its I just dont have the engery or the want to, I guess. I am taking antidepressants and seeing a counselor, what else can I do? I hope the Doc can give me something, but I am already taking so many stupid pills, just hate it. Any way thanks for the reply.

God Bless
    Beth

Medication
    I certainly don't fault anyone for taking any type of medication to help them deal with their situation. But sooner or later you're gonna have to accept your situation and make the most of it. If you can do that medicated, good for you. The only advice I have is to keep going. It is possible to feel completely worn down, wore out, and on your last leg. When you feel that way try to build momentum. Move a toe, then your foot, then you leg, then your other one. Next thing you know your walking.
  • kimby
    kimby Member Posts: 797
    Options
    dorookie said:

Okay

God Bless
    Beth

stupid pills
    Beth,

I say, whatever gets you through the day. If drinking an energy drink gets you up and walking, maybe that can start a trend until you don't need the energy drink anymore. Heck, my sister used to take caffeine pills so she could work a second job. Not always the best choice, but maybe the 'good enough for now' choice. Do what you gotta.

Hugs my friend,

Kimby
  • dorookie
    Options
    snommintj said:

Medication
    I certainly don't fault anyone for taking any type of medication to help them deal with their situation. But sooner or later you're gonna have to accept your situation and make the most of it. If you can do that medicated, good for you. The only advice I have is to keep going. It is possible to feel completely worn down, wore out, and on your last leg. When you feel that way try to build momentum. Move a toe, then your foot, then you leg, then your other one. Next thing you know your walking.

I hear ya
    I am trying, I get down on myself some though because I will have a good day and get out of the house and do things, but the next couple of days I find myself sitting and doing nothing, But I do keep trying, not giving up or giving in!!!

Thanks
    Beth
  • dorookie
    Options
    kimby said:

stupid pills
    Beth,

I say, whatever gets you through the day. If drinking an energy drink gets you up and walking, maybe that can start a trend until you don't need the energy drink anymore. Heck, my sister used to take caffeine pills so she could work a second job. Not always the best choice, but maybe the 'good enough for now' choice. Do what you gotta.

Hugs my friend,

Kimby

I hate pills
    At first I would gt to the point of being in so much pain or feeling sick before I would take any pills. My partner finnally convinced me its better to keep the pills in your system then to get to that point of pain or sickness. So I try to take them on a regular basis. I am afraid I am physically addicted to some of these drugs, and that just kills me, I have always been such an advacate against any kind of drugs, and now I find myself needing them. I know I know, I have to do what I have to do to get through this, its just another little thing that I stress about. Being an addict is not something I have strieved for ya know. Just another kick in the butt this beast has brought to the table. I cant wait for the day I dont have to take any pills.

How are you doing Kimby?

Beth
  • kmygil
    kmygil Member Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    5-hour energy drink
    Beth, I advise you to stay away from it. Do you remember Phen-fen? One component of that was Phentermine--which actually decreased appetite (can you say ZERO?) The other component which caused the heart problems was Pondamine, which you essentially took to negate the side effects of the Phentermine, so you could sleep etc. Where I'm going with all this is that during the time I was on Phen-fen, (yes, I lost a boatload of weight because I didn't eat & then gained it all back plus more--but I digress)....Anyway, the Phentermine made me feel like someone was pushing their finger right at the back of my skull--a persistent, nagging, sort of tense & headachy feeling. I also felt halfway removed from reality (probably due to lack of sleep. You know that Geico commercial where the 2 giant eyeballs are sitting on a pile of money? Well, that's how your eyes feel on Phentermine--but I digress again!)

To get to the point, I tried the 5-hour energy drink and it was like being on Phentermine again--all the same symptoms. When I read the teeny-tiny print, there was some relative of Phentermine in the ingredients. I advise you to stay away from it, especially if you are on antidepressants or some other brain chemical. The energy drinks and weight loss pills screw with your pleasure centers and mess with your ability to recognize tiredness. Sometimes I used to lie in bed, knowing I was dead tired, but unable to sleep or even FEEL tired--just that nagging pressure on the back of my head where the spine meets the skull. I knew I had to be tired, but I wasn't. Then when the drug wears off, you crash--unpleasantly. Don't believe the "no crashing" part of the commercial. You DO crash.

Gosh, I'm long-winded. Just don't do it.

Love ya!
    Kirsten
  • dorookie
    Options
    kmygil said:

5-hour energy drink
    Beth, I advise you to stay away from it. Do you remember Phen-fen? One component of that was Phentermine--which actually decreased appetite (can you say ZERO?) The other component which caused the heart problems was Pondamine, which you essentially took to negate the side effects of the Phentermine, so you could sleep etc. Where I'm going with all this is that during the time I was on Phen-fen, (yes, I lost a boatload of weight because I didn't eat & then gained it all back plus more--but I digress)....Anyway, the Phentermine made me feel like someone was pushing their finger right at the back of my skull--a persistent, nagging, sort of tense & headachy feeling. I also felt halfway removed from reality (probably due to lack of sleep. You know that Geico commercial where the 2 giant eyeballs are sitting on a pile of money? Well, that's how your eyes feel on Phentermine--but I digress again!)

To get to the point, I tried the 5-hour energy drink and it was like being on Phentermine again--all the same symptoms. When I read the teeny-tiny print, there was some relative of Phentermine in the ingredients. I advise you to stay away from it, especially if you are on antidepressants or some other brain chemical. The energy drinks and weight loss pills screw with your pleasure centers and mess with your ability to recognize tiredness. Sometimes I used to lie in bed, knowing I was dead tired, but unable to sleep or even FEEL tired--just that nagging pressure on the back of my head where the spine meets the skull. I knew I had to be tired, but I wasn't. Then when the drug wears off, you crash--unpleasantly. Don't believe the "no crashing" part of the commercial. You DO crash.

Gosh, I'm long-winded. Just don't do it.

Love ya!
    Kirsten

Thank you
    Kristen,

Thank you very much for the info. I will take youe advice and stay away from it. again thank you.

Beth
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options
    dorookie said:

Thank you
    Kristen,

Thank you very much for the info. I will take youe advice and stay away from it. again thank you.

Beth

I say No
    I say no to that especially with what you are going through. I'm new to this whole process and I sure don't have energy, but I don't think I would take one of those. I just try to walk more during the day and yes it does wear me out more, but I know it is good for me too. I know that I can't always feel perky and I noticed today I was extremely tired for some reason, and I don't know why, but I'm just going to go to bed earlier. Kim