Question for women who had radiation to the pelvic area?

Options
lmliess
lmliess Member Posts: 329
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I am still in houston from my liver resection surgery and was refered to a oncology gyno to see while I am here, since I had radiation to the pelvic area. She was great but suggested I use this cream daily called ESTRACE Cream. It is an estrogen cream. Has anyone used this or anything like it? I guess I am just scared to used artificial stuff because the scare of more cancer. But she said I need to use that and then after my liver heals probably hormone treatment. Just wondering what all of your experiences are with this? I am 38 and I want to return back to as 'normal' as possible I guess.

Comments

• VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    Options
    Had 28 radiation treatments
    They also suggested the Estrace cream. I did use it for a while. I know some women have a problem with shrinkage of the vagina. I did not have too much of that issue, but dryness, burning and itching were my problems. The cream helped. I figured the benefits outweighed the future cancer possibilities. I say your doctor will monitor you, so go for it.

When I was on hormones after my uterine cancer, I used Estradial - it's plant, not animal, based and not as likely to cause future problems. I was on it for 11 years with no side effects.

Vicki
  • dasspears
    dasspears Member Posts: 227
    Options
    Cream...
    I was given the cream but told just to use a little when I'm using my dilators to stretch the vagina. I did shrink. My dr felt it would be safe since I did not have an estrogen type cancer - like breast cancer. So far, it hasn't helped with the elasticity too much. Oh well......
  • polarprincess
    polarprincess Member Posts: 202
    Options
    dasspears said:

Cream...
    I was given the cream but told just to use a little when I'm using my dilators to stretch the vagina. I did shrink. My dr felt it would be safe since I did not have an estrogen type cancer - like breast cancer. So far, it hasn't helped with the elasticity too much. Oh well......

hi
    hi, i have my first gyn appt in may and will be asking about the creams as well..i am alittle nervous as well to take anything that might increase my chances of another cancer..i did shrink and i have been using replens which is an OTC treatment for dryness. there are studies that show it is just as effective as estrogen creams.. so you might want to check that out if you are unsure about the estrogen creams.. if you have never visited the colonclub.com this would be a good time to check it out... do a search for the member weissoccermom and read up on her posts.. she is our resident radiation expert and you will find several threads on this issue that i have found helpful...
  • dasspears
    dasspears Member Posts: 227
    Options

hi
    hi, i have my first gyn appt in may and will be asking about the creams as well..i am alittle nervous as well to take anything that might increase my chances of another cancer..i did shrink and i have been using replens which is an OTC treatment for dryness. there are studies that show it is just as effective as estrogen creams.. so you might want to check that out if you are unsure about the estrogen creams.. if you have never visited the colonclub.com this would be a good time to check it out... do a search for the member weissoccermom and read up on her posts.. she is our resident radiation expert and you will find several threads on this issue that i have found helpful...

Thank you...
    Thank you for your post - I will check out that site now. I also something similar to replens for the dryness and helps - better than the estrogen cream.
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Did the radiation put

Hi,
    Did the radiation put you into menopause? I actually went into menopause from the oxaliplatin, but my onc said if that didn't do it, then the radiation I later had would have done it for sure. No one ever mentioned the cream to me, unfortunately. I did have issues with dryness- not sure if that's from the radiation or menopause (or maybe both). I just use a lubricant when needed and I'm okay. Intercourse did hurt for a while, but things are much better and pretty normal now.

Re. the menopause, I started getting horrible hot flashes and night sweats. I found extra strength Estravol (actually the generic version of it is what I use from Wal Mart) has helped greatly. The night sweats are gone & I only get hot flashes occasionally now.

Best wishes and know that I'm continuing to pray for your recovery.

God bless,
    Lisa
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    Options
    lisa42 said:

Hi,
    Did the radiation put

Hi,
    Did the radiation put you into menopause? I actually went into menopause from the oxaliplatin, but my onc said if that didn't do it, then the radiation I later had would have done it for sure. No one ever mentioned the cream to me, unfortunately. I did have issues with dryness- not sure if that's from the radiation or menopause (or maybe both). I just use a lubricant when needed and I'm okay. Intercourse did hurt for a while, but things are much better and pretty normal now.

Re. the menopause, I started getting horrible hot flashes and night sweats. I found extra strength Estravol (actually the generic version of it is what I use from Wal Mart) has helped greatly. The night sweats are gone & I only get hot flashes occasionally now.

Best wishes and know that I'm continuing to pray for your recovery.

God bless,
    Lisa

Yes on menopause
    Lisa, I too was thrown back into night sweats and hot flashes. My nurses suggested Black Cohosh, a supplement bought over the counter. It worked. Now that I am back on chemo, the hot flashes are back. I'll start using it again.

Vicki
  • kimby
    kimby Member Posts: 797
    Options
    Radiation and Menopause
    I had uterine canzer 6 yrs ago at the age of 39. At that time I had a complete hystorectomy and internal radiation treatments. I chose not to use the cream and really didn't need the HRT. I weathered the storm of menopause without it, but others struggle and NEED it. Don't be afraid to do what you need to, that is the way to get yours life back. Take care of you.

The internal radiation caused some issues with shrinkage of the vagina and that never goes away...I am still having issues with that. I had some issues with anemia, too. My GYN/onc is my favorite of any doc I've had....here is the advice he gave me:

1. Eat red meat at least 3 times a week
    2. Drink 1 glass of red wine every day
    3. Have sex 3-4 times every week for LIFE

How do you not love that doc? hehehehe I do have dilitators and during my treatment for crc there have been times that I could not keep up with the schedule of #3. If I'm too sick for too long, I need to use the dilitator before I'm capable of intercourse. That hasn't gone away for me nor has the dryness issue. I think that may be normal for post menapause, but the vaginal shrinkage issue is related to the radiation. It sucks but I can think of worse things. My husband is really supportive so that makes me feel less stress about the whole thing, I guess. I do really, really hate that dilitator, though.

Good luck, HTH and isn't too personal or more info than you wanted. It is embarassing sometimes to bare your personal laundry here. Ick...

Kimby
  • lmliess
    Options
    kimby said:

Radiation and Menopause
    I had uterine canzer 6 yrs ago at the age of 39. At that time I had a complete hystorectomy and internal radiation treatments. I chose not to use the cream and really didn't need the HRT. I weathered the storm of menopause without it, but others struggle and NEED it. Don't be afraid to do what you need to, that is the way to get yours life back. Take care of you.

The internal radiation caused some issues with shrinkage of the vagina and that never goes away...I am still having issues with that. I had some issues with anemia, too. My GYN/onc is my favorite of any doc I've had....here is the advice he gave me:

1. Eat red meat at least 3 times a week
    2. Drink 1 glass of red wine every day
    3. Have sex 3-4 times every week for LIFE

How do you not love that doc? hehehehe I do have dilitators and during my treatment for crc there have been times that I could not keep up with the schedule of #3. If I'm too sick for too long, I need to use the dilitator before I'm capable of intercourse. That hasn't gone away for me nor has the dryness issue. I think that may be normal for post menapause, but the vaginal shrinkage issue is related to the radiation. It sucks but I can think of worse things. My husband is really supportive so that makes me feel less stress about the whole thing, I guess. I do really, really hate that dilitator, though.

Good luck, HTH and isn't too personal or more info than you wanted. It is embarassing sometimes to bare your personal laundry here. Ick...

Kimby

Thank you!
    This info is what I needed. I will try and see what works for me. I really try to go all natural with herbs and vitamins but I guess sometimes you need a little help too.

Thank you all!
  • Joy1216
    Joy1216 Member Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    lmliess said:

Thank you!
    This info is what I needed. I will try and see what works for me. I really try to go all natural with herbs and vitamins but I guess sometimes you need a little help too.

Thank you all!

Estrace
    I went through premature menopause years before I was diagnosed with colon cancer. No surgery; the doctors decided that stress caused me to go into menopause. I was on estrogen replacement therapy for over fifteen years. The last estrogen pill I took was - you guessed it - Estrace.
    Joy
  • polarprincess
    polarprincess Member Posts: 202
    Options
    Joy1216 said:

Estrace
    I went through premature menopause years before I was diagnosed with colon cancer. No surgery; the doctors decided that stress caused me to go into menopause. I was on estrogen replacement therapy for over fifteen years. The last estrogen pill I took was - you guessed it - Estrace.
    Joy

menopause
    i had period right through until the end of radiation and after that they stopped completely..so i do assume it was that and that and not the oxy that put me into it..that was november that it ended...i am going to get my hormone levels checked in may so i guess we will see how far i am into it...i have not had any symptoms.. i have no libido but that might just be from feeling yucky and looking like crap...i hate those dilators too... i still can't belive sometimes that this is my life..
  • lmliess
    Options
    I know what you mean
    the libido right now is not there...you have to be kidding to think one would feel in the mood after being sliced and diced and bruised and picked and poked by needles. However I did want to get a jump start on getting a certain area taken care of that is why I went to the gyno in Houston. And of course they sent me home with dialators....how does one devote 10 minutes a day to that with a 4 year old following you around? :-)
  • jillpls
    jillpls Member Posts: 238
    Options
    premerin cream
    Hi, I used premerin cream. It worked great! I used it for about 5 weeks to heal the internal burn from the radiation. It also helped with the hot flashes. I wish I could still use it but I was told it's not good to use hormone pills or therapy after cancer. But the cream really healed me.
  • mommyof2kds
    mommyof2kds Member Posts: 519
    Options
    jillpls said:

premerin cream
    Hi, I used premerin cream. It worked great! I used it for about 5 weeks to heal the internal burn from the radiation. It also helped with the hot flashes. I wish I could still use it but I was told it's not good to use hormone pills or therapy after cancer. But the cream really healed me.

Pelvis radiation.
    HI, I have a different question, but it is related to radiation of the pelvic area. Did any of you have vaginal discharge once the treatment ended, if so, how long did it last. Thanks