Is there a possibility to...

Options
jenben59
jenben59 Member Posts: 136 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
change how often I get chemo? I'm on a schedule of every other week. Oxi at Md Anderson then 2 days of 5Fu. They had to stop my 5th chemo for a week because of the terrible side effects. I had a "week off" before my most recent treatment this past Tuesday. I still get the same side effects, but nothing so severe. I feel like I can really handle it and deal with these side effects, but every other week is getting overwhelming. I don't know why the schedule of treatment is set up the way it is, but is change possible? I plan on talking to my Onc at my next appointment. I'd appreciate any information you have. Thanks. As always I appreciate you.

Comments

• dmdwins
    dmdwins Member Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Dose reduction
    It is possible that they may be able to do a dose reduction for you? That is what my oncologist did when he felt the side effects were too severe. It did help and I was then able to stay on the every other week schedule. I was also able to finish my 12 treatments of Oxi/5fu/lecovoren and Avastin. It is not uncommon though for some not to be able to do the full 12 treatments of Oxi. It really is a tough one to tolerate.

Dawn
  • dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Also had a reduction
    My onc had told me before my first chemo treatment that it was quite normal for dosages to be reduced by the 3rd or 4th treatment. My WBC's dropped after #2 and my dosage was reduced before my third treatment. Ask! It doesn't hurt to ask!
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    treatment schedule
    i agree with the others regarding reducing the dosage, but I do remember talking with my onc way back when I first entered into treatment regarding the schedule, and it has to do with life of the drug, cell recovery, etc and it DOES make a difference if you were to go every 3 weeks ALWAYS instead of every 2 weeks. You give the good cells too long to recover you are also giving the BAD cells too long to recover. I am sure your doc will have more detail on this.
    mary
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Options
    I am not a Doctor
    but I play one on TV...
    Seriously, you should discuss it with your Onc as others and you have said. I believe they arrive at these treatment schedules from the clinical trials that they do with people. It's to find the most effective regimens for fighting the cancer with the chemo. There are always times when they can modify your schedule and as others have said, that chemo that you are on is a tough one. I did that first and it got tougher to do every other week. I did finish my round but it was not easy. Do the best you can Jen, hang tough.
    Chemo really sucks at times but if you can believe it, for me, looking back it wasn't that bad and it all helps you to become healthier.
    -phil
  • beachinmom
    beachinmom Member Posts: 73
    Options
    PhillieG said:

I am not a Doctor
    but I play one on TV...
    Seriously, you should discuss it with your Onc as others and you have said. I believe they arrive at these treatment schedules from the clinical trials that they do with people. It's to find the most effective regimens for fighting the cancer with the chemo. There are always times when they can modify your schedule and as others have said, that chemo that you are on is a tough one. I did that first and it got tougher to do every other week. I did finish my round but it was not easy. Do the best you can Jen, hang tough.
    Chemo really sucks at times but if you can believe it, for me, looking back it wasn't that bad and it all helps you to become healthier.
    -phil

Anything in particular?
    I too hope it gets better for you. Is there anything in particular that is the problem? Maybe we might have recommendations to make that part better.
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options
    every 3 weeks
    Hi Jen,

I think dosage reduction is probably the best thing to ask about right now for you- at least temporarily. Having the chemo less often would probably mean getting a slightly higher dose each time, since the infusion would be farther apart. At one time (twice, actually), I talked to my onc about getting the chemo less often, as I had heard some patients only get it every three weeks. His answer was that I'm doing so well now with my blood counts being good, that he'd hate to jeopardize that by going to every three weeks and then having to give me a stronger dose. His thoughts are the stronger dose would cause more side effects. If you went to every three week but did not increase the dose, then you may be opening yourself up to having time where it's not in your system, hence allowing those cells to possibly start growing and multiplying again.

Hope something can be figured out for you so you can get some relief.

God bless,
    Lisa