Opinions needed: UPDATED

Options
dianetavegia
dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I had unexpected gall bladder surgery this past Wednesday. My regular chemo is scheduled for THIS Wednesday. That's one week between the two. I'm sore and bruised but not in pain. I feel fine, other than some twinges once in a while.

I've been thinking about the timing, because of how sick Beth felt this past week after her infection and hospital stay, so thought I'd ask.......

Has anyone had surgery and had chemo a week or days later with no extra side effects?

Would you think I should ask for a one week delay so I can be a bit more healed?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Diane

No chemo for 2 weeks so I can heal from surgery. No problems. No concerns. Doctor said I'm his little trouble maker. :o)

Thanks for all the help!

Comments

• PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Options
    Ask Onc or Give Yourself a Break
    I had my port put in years ago then started with chemo 1-2 days later. Otherwise I've always been off chemo between operations. I would think your Onc would know what is best to do. If I was in doubt though, I'd ask for a week off. I'm sure they'd give it to you. Anytime I can get a break I take it.
    Good luck, sorry you had to have the surgery.
    -phil
  • dianetavegia
    Options
    PhillieG said:

Ask Onc or Give Yourself a Break
    I had my port put in years ago then started with chemo 1-2 days later. Otherwise I've always been off chemo between operations. I would think your Onc would know what is best to do. If I was in doubt though, I'd ask for a week off. I'm sure they'd give it to you. Anytime I can get a break I take it.
    Good luck, sorry you had to have the surgery.
    -phil

Thanks Phil
    I think I'll call tomorrow and see if they've already made a decision so I can plan my week.

Diane
  • PhillieG
    Options

Thanks Phil
    I think I'll call tomorrow and see if they've already made a decision so I can plan my week.

Diane

You 1st
    Diane, remember, you come first. If you're not comfortable with starting up so soon they let them know.
    Best of luck...
    I have (yet) another round of chemo tomorrow.
    -phil
  • dianetavegia
    Options
    PhillieG said:

You 1st
    Diane, remember, you come first. If you're not comfortable with starting up so soon they let them know.
    Best of luck...
    -phil

Thanks Phil!
    Hope tomorrow's chemo is easy on you.
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    Options
    PhillieG said:

You 1st
    Best of luck...
    -phil

Ah Phil,
    I start another round tomorrow as well...I'll be thinking of you.

Vicki
  • snommintj
    snommintj Member Posts: 601
    Options
    VickiCO said:

Ah Phil,

Vicki

Dr's call
    When it comes to decisions about whether chemo should be administered I usually defer to my Drs. It is important to stay on schedule but not 100% necessary. If the Dr gives you the thumbs up and you feel ok, go for it.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    I agree, ask....
    I, at one point, was terribly tired and just had lost the hope. I had physical troubles, including my heart was irregular, and I shared that, too.

She said that the purpose of chemo was to make me feel better, in the long run. But, if I was not up to it, a week's breather was appropriate. I never regret having asked for that week...I was up for it the next week, and rarin' to go...

Hugs, Kathi
  • PhillieG
    Options
    VickiCO said:

Ah Phil,

Vicki

Likewise Vicki
    How long are your treatments again, I forget. Mine are a little over 2 hours, every other week at this point. I am only on Erbitux. It's not so bad except for the skin issues but I'm pretty good at dealing with them since I've been on that medication for a long time. I think it takes me longer to go to and from SK than it does for my treatment.
    It's supposed to rain like crazy tomorrow, I got soaked in the city the last time I went in. I bought a new rain jacket after that. It looks like I will be able to use it.
    Be well.
    -p
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options
    a week off
    Hi Diane,

I doubt it would hurt to skip one week, as long as you haven't missed or put off too many other treatments in the recent past. That's my vote!
    Hope you keep healing from the gall bladder surgery well- take care!

Lisa
  • dianetavegia
    Options
    lisa42 said:

a week off
    Hi Diane,

I doubt it would hurt to skip one week, as long as you haven't missed or put off too many other treatments in the recent past. That's my vote!
    Hope you keep healing from the gall bladder surgery well- take care!

Lisa

Office called
    I've been having my liver enzymes drawn the day before chemo so doctor would have those results and they called early this morning to remind me to be there tomorrow. I just thanked them and am going in for that. I am going to let doctor call this one. Other than sore, I'm fine. I just didn't get a full 10 days of feeling great this time and really wanted that.

I'll let you know if he says something while I'm in the office for my labs tomorrow.

** My R.N. from United Health Care called today and said she'd be really surprised if I have chemo this week. She said counts can rise right after surgery.... and that I should ask the doctor to call me after they get the results tomorrow so I don't have to go over for no reason on Wednesday.

Diane
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    Options
    PhillieG said:

Likewise Vicki
    How long are your treatments again, I forget. Mine are a little over 2 hours, every other week at this point. I am only on Erbitux. It's not so bad except for the skin issues but I'm pretty good at dealing with them since I've been on that medication for a long time. I think it takes me longer to go to and from SK than it does for my treatment.
    It's supposed to rain like crazy tomorrow, I got soaked in the city the last time I went in. I bought a new rain jacket after that. It looks like I will be able to use it.
    Be well.
    -p

Phil
    Mine are the 5FU infusion (pushed) with a drip first of Kytril, dexamethasone and something else (maybe leucevorin? I have chemo brain) I do this for 5 days straight (it takes about 45 minutes) and then have 3 weeks off. I had a scare this morning at the doctor visit. I need a new CT scan...I started another thread about it. BTW - this time I am losing my hair...last time it just thinned but now I am combing out large amounts...almost bald on top.

Good luck! Vicki
  • dianetavegia
    Options

Office called
    I've been having my liver enzymes drawn the day before chemo so doctor would have those results and they called early this morning to remind me to be there tomorrow. I just thanked them and am going in for that. I am going to let doctor call this one. Other than sore, I'm fine. I just didn't get a full 10 days of feeling great this time and really wanted that.

I'll let you know if he says something while I'm in the office for my labs tomorrow.

** My R.N. from United Health Care called today and said she'd be really surprised if I have chemo this week. She said counts can rise right after surgery.... and that I should ask the doctor to call me after they get the results tomorrow so I don't have to go over for no reason on Wednesday.

Diane

No chemo per doctor
    I went today (Tuesday) for my lab work and the girl at the desk apologized saying they should have not had me come in. She said to come on Wednesday for lab work and doctor will 'check me' and talk to me about when we'll restart chemo. No chemo on Wednesday.