shopping

Options
tgf
tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I've come across 3 things that have made my life a bit better as I travel this journey. You may already be familiar with any or all of them ... but if not ..

1. Bali bras (not for you Bill!)with the little "petal" things inside with a little padding and NO wires! They are sooooo comfortable ... and the little bit of padding is just right to "fill in" my incision area from the lumpectomy.

2. "Indelible Brow" eyebrow pencil. It's great ... especially since when I had hair it was gray and I needed a light taupe-ish color. The only place I've found it is online (last one I ordered was from "Headcovers" ... but I love it!)

3. Now ... this is a REAL treat! A HUGE big FLUFFY towel. Sounds silly ... but it is the greatest! Every time I get out of the shower and grab that fluffy towel ... and dry myself it gives me the feeling of giving my body and extra special treat! Feels terrific!

Well ... those are all of my helpful shopping tips. Just thought I'd share ...

hugs.
Teena

Comments

• Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the shopping tips
    Thanks for the shopping tips Teena! I love Bali bras! I plan on wearing my "push-up" ones after I finish radiation and heal. I miss wearing a bra..lol I have always worn one. How is they do it? ( . ) ( . ) haha
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Options
    Noel said:

Thanks for the shopping tips
    Thanks for the shopping tips Teena! I love Bali bras! I plan on wearing my "push-up" ones after I finish radiation and heal. I miss wearing a bra..lol I have always worn one. How is they do it? ( . ) ( . ) haha

I am also a Bali fan!

I am also a Bali fan!
  • Ltalcott
    Ltalcott Member Posts: 119
    Options
    bra shopping
    I spent two hours trying on bras today. I want to scream.

I'm 7 weeks out of bi-lateral mastectomies and DIEP reconstruction. I am about the same size I was before--but the shape is really different. The base of my breasts is much larger, so I have tissue almost under my arms. I'd think that would be cup size, but I tried As, Bs, and Cs, without success.

My plastic surgeon recommended no underwire (don't know why) and that cuts out 85% of the bras out there.

Anyone have suggestions? I don't know that I want to go to a high-end department store and get fitted--might freak the gal out!

Lisa
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Ltalcott said:

bra shopping
    I spent two hours trying on bras today. I want to scream.

I'm 7 weeks out of bi-lateral mastectomies and DIEP reconstruction. I am about the same size I was before--but the shape is really different. The base of my breasts is much larger, so I have tissue almost under my arms. I'd think that would be cup size, but I tried As, Bs, and Cs, without success.

My plastic surgeon recommended no underwire (don't know why) and that cuts out 85% of the bras out there.

Anyone have suggestions? I don't know that I want to go to a high-end department store and get fitted--might freak the gal out!

Lisa

The bra issue...
    Hello, Lisa. I had lumpectomy surgery; so, my search for proper-fitting bras was not nearly as complicated as yours...

Nevertheless, maybe I can help - even if just a little bit... :-)

The no underwire thing for ALL breast cancer patients: I had been an underwire-wearer my entire adult life. And, yes - the vast majority of bras out there in general retail include the darned banned underwires. So, I totally understand your frustration with this particular issue. The medical rationale for the ban is as follows: underwires inhibit circulation. Therefore, they increase the risk for lymphedema. All breast cancer patients, no matter what type of surgery, face this. I do everything I can to reduce the risk.

I don't blame you, at all, for not wanting to head to a department store and possibly freak someone out. Ask your doctor/nurse for a specific recommendation. There are specially-trained bra "fitters" out there who specialize in breast cancer patients & their issues. And, be sure to ask not only where to go; also, who to ask for.

Best of luck with your continued search.

Kind regards, Susan
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Options

The bra issue...
    Hello, Lisa. I had lumpectomy surgery; so, my search for proper-fitting bras was not nearly as complicated as yours...

Nevertheless, maybe I can help - even if just a little bit... :-)

The no underwire thing for ALL breast cancer patients: I had been an underwire-wearer my entire adult life. And, yes - the vast majority of bras out there in general retail include the darned banned underwires. So, I totally understand your frustration with this particular issue. The medical rationale for the ban is as follows: underwires inhibit circulation. Therefore, they increase the risk for lymphedema. All breast cancer patients, no matter what type of surgery, face this. I do everything I can to reduce the risk.

I don't blame you, at all, for not wanting to head to a department store and possibly freak someone out. Ask your doctor/nurse for a specific recommendation. There are specially-trained bra "fitters" out there who specialize in breast cancer patients & their issues. And, be sure to ask not only where to go; also, who to ask for.

Best of luck with your continued search.

Kind regards, Susan

I had no problem wearing
    I had no problem wearing underwire bras after my first lumpectomy and radiation in '85. I wore them until the day I had surgery this year. And, my oncologist and radiation oncologist said to just not wear them during radiation and until I heal up after the radiation, which shouldn't be very long this time. Strange how doctor's vary. But, I will put my underwire back on..I miss it. lol