Are Stents useful?? Did you undergo this type of procedure? If so, how useful is it???

Options
marc24
marc24 Member Posts: 92
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hello, just relaying a message from my mom. Oncologist called today to discuss more information in regards to my mom's chemo treatments starting next Monday. The discussion regarding metal stents were brought up a few days ago, but the doctors state that although my mom has alot of discomfort during bowel movement, she does not need a stent for now. Then today, the oncologist suggested that a metal stent might be useful esp. when the chemo starts and as the weeks go by. MY question is, are these stents prove to be useful? Meaning, did they make your life a bit easier in terms of having to not go as often, and is this a good procedure to get? I believe the person who did the colonoscopy to my mom said to me that what he found was something in a size of a lime, a small one i guess, not sure...but i guess im not a doctor, but this might have been obstructing my mom's bowel movement. In short, do you have a stent in place and is it useful/make your life easier somewhat??

Thanks again...

Comments

• snommintj
    snommintj Member Posts: 601
    Options
    I have heard good things
    I have a very close friend that had a stint placed for an enormous tumor. She says it helped. I wrote a post the other day its called getting things moving. Try those things, if they don't help then perhaps a stint is in order.
  • marc24
    Options
    i c...
    also...i was wondering if the friend of yours had trouble with control...meaning, did the stent affect your friend's control during bowel movements?? Right now, my mom is taking colace to help, but now we want to ask the doctor if control issues would make it very inconvenient to go..
  • snommintj
    snommintj Member Posts: 601
    Options
    marc24 said:

i c...
    also...i was wondering if the friend of yours had trouble with control...meaning, did the stent affect your friend's control during bowel movements?? Right now, my mom is taking colace to help, but now we want to ask the doctor if control issues would make it very inconvenient to go..

Never asked
    I don't know the answer about control. We never discussed that. I'll try to find out. I'm fishing this weekend but I will see her next week sometime. I'll ask. I would call her but my phone is at the bottom of a lake along with all my contacts.

Quick hint. Never put your phone in your lap while fishing. When you get a bite you'll have a tendency to stand up. When you stand up, your phone will be hurled overboard. When that happens, do your best to catch the fish because you've lost the phone.
  • marc24
    Options
    haha..
    thanks for the tip haha, yeah i tried to fish once, caught a fish my first try, then managed to fail the rest of the day..and forever :-) Well thanks for that, whatever helps, today my mom got her picc installed..but i look forward for any info and keep on fishin!
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    snommintj said:

Never asked
    I don't know the answer about control. We never discussed that. I'll try to find out. I'm fishing this weekend but I will see her next week sometime. I'll ask. I would call her but my phone is at the bottom of a lake along with all my contacts.

Quick hint. Never put your phone in your lap while fishing. When you get a bite you'll have a tendency to stand up. When you stand up, your phone will be hurled overboard. When that happens, do your best to catch the fish because you've lost the phone.

can't you just see those fish using up your minutes?!!!
    AGGGHHHH! The moment you realize you have just done something that you won't be able to take back! Did you watch the phone in slow-mo going into the water?!!! Hope you had insurance!
    mary