Anyone had experience with post op treatment for Laser surgery for vocal cord cancer

Options
dputrich
dputrich Member Posts: 1
edited November 2023 in Head and Neck Cancer #1
I had laser surgery for vocal cord cancer three ago. I am doing well and the doctor feels the cancer has been eradicated. I was teated in Boston by a doctor who is using a new kind of laser that goes after the blood supply.

All that aside, I am wondering what kind of post op instructions others have been given for laser surgery for this disease. I was ordered not to talk for week, whisper for week, and then talk sparingly until the voice gets stronger. I have adhered that and the voice is weak but getting better. I have been told the cords will not completely heal for seven to eight weeks.

I am also have been prescribed Nexium that I have to take daily. I am not allowed to drink coffee of any kind, nothing caffeinated, no alcohol, no spices or salty foods, no citrus,no chocolate, and no tomatoes. I am wondering if anyone else who has had laser surgery would be willing to share their post op treatment.

Thanks Dan

Comments

• paulineg
    paulineg Member Posts: 8 Member
    Options

I had laser in 2018 before my radiotherapy

after laser was told only to wait few days and that not to whisper as can strain vocal cords I guess every one gets different instructions but I know I was talking with in a few weeks and healed ok and also ate anything and drank coffee and tea

until I had radiotherapy that was awful and somthing very different

hope that helps

pauline