OK, I'll take a mulligan

snommintj
snommintj Member Posts: 601
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
New CT scan today, they removed the tube from my diaphragm. I'm breathing ok. Hopefully I'm done with all these abscesses and infections. I did get some kind of bad news. The CT scan showed something in both lungs, very small. The nodule in my right lung is 6-7 mm. The doctors re-evaluated all of my previous CTs and PETs. The nodule in my right lung has always been there, it hasn't grown in the last year and has never showed up on a PET scan. The nodule in the left lung is very small 2mm. It could in fact be nothing. Nothing has appeared on any previous CTs or PETs. Including some CTs a few weeks ago. So who knows. The doctor says there isn't anything he could do right now because it's so small. So we're gonna continue to follow up as though I'm clean. If anything seems to progress I'll have to go on chemo. Oh well, I was planning on a recurrence this year, I was just hoping for some liver involvement. I'm not too enthusiastic about cutting, burning, or irradiating my lungs. I know it seems weird but I'm far more concerned about these two tiny spots than I was about all of my previous tumors.

Comments

• kristasplace
    kristasplace Member Posts: 957 Member
    Fear of the nodules
    I know where you're coming from about not knowing, and waiting...There are both postitives and negatives about the slow growth progression of this cancer. Positive because it will be easier to get a handle on it if it does turn out to be spread, but negative because it has to be a specific size before they can biopsy it. I have a spot on my lung that the radiologist swears has grown in the last year, and my onc doesn't think so. So every six months i'm going to have to have it CT scanned which is going to kill my kidney's.

I'm also freaked out about the prospect of them cracking open my chest (or back) to dig nodules out of my lungs. I'm trying very hard to keep the whole idea out of my head. Not easy, i know!

Many hugs,
    Krista
  • impactzone
    impactzone Member Posts: 555 Member
    I have had 2 lung surgeries
    I have had 2 lung surgeries to remove mets and they were much easier to come back from than the liver resection. It is not wierd to think that as I was the same way. Hopefully yours is nothing, but there are good procedures out there that are easy to come back from and I was skiing 3 months after having 25% of my lung taken out. I wish you all the best and understand we all pray for each other and I hope to hear some good things in your future.
    Chip
  • kimby
    kimby Member Posts: 797
    New CT
    John,

Did you have this CT scan on a different machine? I have 2 lung spots that showed up in August and a couple times since but not the last 2 scans and never a PET. The consensus now is that it isn't canzer, probably scar tissue. They are just guessing because the spots haven't changed when everything else has progressed. It depends on which CT machine I'm scanned on whether they even show up - different slice number from one to another. Go figure.

It's so hard to hear this news so soon and effects celebration time! Piffle. You deserve better. Here's hoping for scar tissue - we hope for weird things in canzerLand.

Kimby
  • ldot123
    ldot123 Member Posts: 272
    kimby said:

New CT
    John,

Did you have this CT scan on a different machine? I have 2 lung spots that showed up in August and a couple times since but not the last 2 scans and never a PET. The consensus now is that it isn't canzer, probably scar tissue. They are just guessing because the spots haven't changed when everything else has progressed. It depends on which CT machine I'm scanned on whether they even show up - different slice number from one to another. Go figure.

It's so hard to hear this news so soon and effects celebration time! Piffle. You deserve better. Here's hoping for scar tissue - we hope for weird things in canzerLand.

Kimby

Another scar tissue guy
    Hi there,

I have some nodules on my lungs that I will have checked on a regular basis. Last CT nothing has changed so they think it may be scar tissue from radiation a long time ago for something else. 2mm is small and that was the size of one of mine. Sending positive vibes that all is well with you.

Cheers, Lance
  • dixchi
    dixchi Member Posts: 431
    ldot123 said:

Another scar tissue guy
    Hi there,

I have some nodules on my lungs that I will have checked on a regular basis. Last CT nothing has changed so they think it may be scar tissue from radiation a long time ago for something else. 2mm is small and that was the size of one of mine. Sending positive vibes that all is well with you.

Cheers, Lance

Lungs or Liver
    Lungs or liver, neither are good, and all of us can deal with it in one
    place and not the other.......wish my situation would ease up on the liver
    area and go somewhere else like ovaries, I can do without those easily....
    ours not to choose.....anyway, all of it is difficult and I hope you coast
    right through this without much ado.

Best,
    Barbara
  • dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    John
    I'm hoping with you that the lung spots are nothing. I was trying to understand about lungs when Lisa posted something and the Mayo Clinic said 50% of all lung nodules found with no symptoms are 'nothing'. Let's hope that's what this is!

I'll keep you in prayer!
    Diane
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    lousy
    Hey,
    I'm glad to hear you're almost over this infection thing, but that's a definite bummer to discover there's something new in your lungs. Hopefully it will be benign, but it also may just stay that size. Cheryl has talked about how she has some lung nodules that have not grown for many months. Maybe yours will be like that.

Oh, it's definitely really, really lousy- this dreaded disease always is throwing us new curves, isn't it?! I hope and pray it isn't anything to worry about, though!

You hang in there- your good attitude is an inspiration to us all. Even if you don't feel great at the moment, you'll get it back- stay strong!

Blessings and prayers,
    Lisa
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Good and bad
    That's good news about the infection, but I know the nodules worry you. We're just going to pray that they're nothing to worry about at all.

*hugs*
    Gail