Childhood leukemia memories

feather80
feather80 Member Posts: 11
edited March 2014 in Childhood Cancers #1
Hello,

I'm 28, I had ALL leukemia when I was 6.
For a very long time, I didn't want to talk about it and didn't want anybody to mention it.
But now, I love talking about it, but I often don't dare, because I think it's not something that people expect you to talk about.
I think that one isn't really supposed to talk about having had cancer. But I would love to be able to talk about it each time it comes to mind.
For example, when I smell ether, I would like to tell people arround me that it reminds me of when I was in hospital, when they changed my central line bandage.
When people talk about giving blood, I would like to tell people that I had quite a lot of blood transfusions when I was a child.
When people say that it is terrible to have cancer, I would like to tell them that it isn't always terrible for everyone and that it wasn't that terrible for me.
When people say that everybody dies from cancer, I would like to say that it isn't true and that I am cured and lots of people get cured.

Are there other people like me, who had leukemia or cancer during their childhood and who have this desire to talk about it to people? It makes me happy to talk about it. Is it the same for any of you?

Thank you for your replies
Feather