thyroid problems

ralphie322
ralphie322 Member Posts: 20
lately i have been gaining weight ,having all types joint pain, fatty liver,tossin and turning,stiffness, just came back from the temple cancer center. they said i have to lose a couple of pounds,but eveything else is fine but i cant even when i diet. i asked the doctor about long term side effects of chemo he said that is a myth i had radiaion to to the head @neck could this cause thyroid problems. my symptoms read like hypothyroidism i read these off the internet is there anyone out there with advice thank you ........GO PHILS

Comments

• hodgkoid2003
    hodgkoid2003 Member Posts: 94
    Radiation vs. Thyroid... A Myth?????
    As I always say, I'm not a doctor but...

In all my years of dealing with HD, radiation, and other serious side effects, I can't believe that you have been told that radiation to the neck could cause thyroid issues would be a myth. It is so well documented that the liklihood of thyroid issues does exist.

Myself, I am hypothyroid as a result of the radiation therapy. In fact, the condition was actually diagnosed as early as a few months following my rads, though it took years for me to actually take anything for it. Just as a disclaimer, as far as radiation affecting the thyroid... perhaps the dosage may have something to do with it, or even the way it is administered. But for the record, I received over 4500 rads to my neck and I have a close friend who recieved over 8000. Granted this was 20 years ago and definitely a high amount of rads than what they use today.

But for peace of mind, get a second opinion. In fact, you don't even need to go through an oncologist, you can get simple bloodwork done through your GP. But I would think thyroid follow-up would almost be standard protocol for radiation to the neck.

Not a big Phils (baseball fan), but I am glued to the Flyers!!!

Paul E. (Hodgkoid2003)
  • hodgkoid2003
    hodgkoid2003 Member Posts: 94

In all my years of dealing with HD, radiation, and other serious side effects, I can't believe that you have been told that radiation to the neck could cause thyroid issues would be a myth. It is so well documented that the liklihood of thyroid issues does exist.

Myself, I am hypothyroid as a result of the radiation therapy. In fact, the condition was actually diagnosed as early as a few months following my rads, though it took years for me to actually take anything for it. Just as a disclaimer, as far as radiation affecting the thyroid... perhaps the dosage may have something to do with it, or even the way it is administered. But for the record, I received over 4500 rads to my neck and I have a close friend who recieved over 8000. Granted this was 20 years ago and definitely a high amount of rads than what they use today.

But for peace of mind, get a second opinion. In fact, you don't even need to go through an oncologist, you can get simple bloodwork done through your GP. But I would think thyroid follow-up would almost be standard protocol for radiation to the neck.

Paul E. (Hodgkoid2003)

Thyroid And Other Survivor Issues
    I purchased a book last year, alomst immediately following my heart bypass surgery (once I found out that the damage had been related to my cancer treatments. It is a book written by medical professionals and endorsed by institutions such as Sloan Kettering, University of PA, Standford, and the Fred Hutchison Cancer Center in Seattle and more.

The book is called "Childhood Cancer Survivors" by Nancy Keene (cancer advocate and mother to a cancer survivor), Wendy Hobbie (co-ordinator for long term follow up care at CHOP in Philly), and Kathy Ruccione (co-director at HOPE at Childrens Hospital in LA).

While the title says "children", I assure you that adults can find information pertaining to them. Especially side effect for the thyroid, pulmonary, cardiac, fertility, and more. You can get it in any book store or probably Amazon.
  • ralphie322
    ralphie322 Member Posts: 20

Paul E. (Hodgkoid2003)

thanks
    any help is better than none paul, makin a appointment at endocronolgy (not sure about the spelling)this is the advice i need to put my but in gear i have been dealin with the symptoms for years but lately they seen to have gotten worst thanks p.s i luv the flyers as well as all philly teams thanks again
  • Fran-HD
    Fran-HD Member Posts: 12

thanks
    any help is better than none paul, makin a appointment at endocronolgy (not sure about the spelling)this is the advice i need to put my but in gear i have been dealin with the symptoms for years but lately they seen to have gotten worst thanks p.s i luv the flyers as well as all philly teams thanks again

Thyroid vs radiation
    Actually that is one thing that all of my follow up docotrs have tested me for is thyroid function. I had radiation for hodgkins in 1980 to my chest and neck and my GP has always made sure that he kept track of my thyroid because it is so linked to radiation for malfunction. I have always been close on the blood work but this year it went over and I just started medicine about 3 months ago. The medicine worked great. Definelty follow up.
    Fran
  • Survivor86
    Survivor86 Member Posts: 18

Thyroid And Other Survivor Issues
    I purchased a book last year, alomst immediately following my heart bypass surgery (once I found out that the damage had been related to my cancer treatments. It is a book written by medical professionals and endorsed by institutions such as Sloan Kettering, University of PA, Standford, and the Fred Hutchison Cancer Center in Seattle and more.

The book is called "Childhood Cancer Survivors" by Nancy Keene (cancer advocate and mother to a cancer survivor), Wendy Hobbie (co-ordinator for long term follow up care at CHOP in Philly), and Kathy Ruccione (co-director at HOPE at Childrens Hospital in LA).

While the title says "children", I assure you that adults can find information pertaining to them. Especially side effect for the thyroid, pulmonary, cardiac, fertility, and more. You can get it in any book store or probably Amazon.

Anyone have Hyperthyroidism?
    I seem to have all the symtoms of hyperthyroidism, I have had sudden weight loss (17lbs), sweating mostly at night, fatigue, rapid heartbeat, nervousness, headaches and insomnia. I had recent lab work done to check a number of things and the GP won't return my calls, this is the GP that told me he didn't have time to research the late effects of the treatment I had as a child, 23 years ago. All he knows how to do is take your money!(Dr. Robert Martin-Knoxville, TN) My mother has made me a appointment at Vanderbuilt Hospital at the survivorship follow up care clinic.
  • ldot123
    ldot123 Member Posts: 272
    Fran-HD said:

Thyroid vs radiation
    Actually that is one thing that all of my follow up docotrs have tested me for is thyroid function. I had radiation for hodgkins in 1980 to my chest and neck and my GP has always made sure that he kept track of my thyroid because it is so linked to radiation for malfunction. I have always been close on the blood work but this year it went over and I just started medicine about 3 months ago. The medicine worked great. Definelty follow up.
    Fran

Absolutely Possible
    I have been on thyroid medication for years. The low thyroid is directly attributable to the radiation I received 20 years ago. The best thing to do is get your thyroid levels checked and get medication if you need it. Cheers, Lance
  • Pnktopaz10
    Pnktopaz10 Member Posts: 56
    Thyroid problems
    Just a quick note to say the my GP is watching my thyroid very closely since I had rad to my neck. Get your thyroid checked and what kind of a dr would tell you that it is a myth? Hugs to all Pnktopaz10
  • mitsar24
    mitsar24 Member Posts: 1
    hypothyroidism
    ralphie322 I battled thyroid problems for years, couldn't lose weight, tired all of the time. Since I no longer have a thyroid I will take medicatiin the rest of my life. Find an endocriologist they will be able to help you. Good Luck!
  • diamond-n-the-rough
    diamond-n-the-rough Member Posts: 14

Anyone have Hyperthyroidism?
    I seem to have all the symtoms of hyperthyroidism, I have had sudden weight loss (17lbs), sweating mostly at night, fatigue, rapid heartbeat, nervousness, headaches and insomnia. I had recent lab work done to check a number of things and the GP won't return my calls, this is the GP that told me he didn't have time to research the late effects of the treatment I had as a child, 23 years ago. All he knows how to do is take your money!(Dr. Robert Martin-Knoxville, TN) My mother has made me a appointment at Vanderbuilt Hospital at the survivorship follow up care clinic.

HI: SURVIOR86. I am still a fighter !
    HI: SURVIOR86. I was recently diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, low cortisone levels, no working pituitarty glands, no working adrenal glands, low testorones levels no sweat or saliva glands due to over radiation. my weight is 135 lb my doctors want me to gain about 40 pounds. noway! I also have stiffness in my joints, a history of blood clots a back disc in my back, but i workout everyday. cancer cant slow you down unless you let it.I'VE been a survior since FEB. 02, 2001 AND MY LIVE ONLY GETS BETTER! I will carry my cross, no matter how hard or heavy it may get. I LOOK UP ,and thank's him for everyday the sunrises.
  • missde3
    missde3 Member Posts: 7
    mitsar24 said:

hypothyroidism
    ralphie322 I battled thyroid problems for years, couldn't lose weight, tired all of the time. Since I no longer have a thyroid I will take medicatiin the rest of my life. Find an endocriologist they will be able to help you. Good Luck!

Three months after my
    Three months after my treatments ended, my thyroid ceased to function properly. Have been on Synthroid for it all these years (HD 1988). It took about 15 years for mine to get regulated. My dosage has been the same now for about 5 years. I see an endocrinologist every three months. I also get periodic thyroid ultrasounds since cancer there is a possibility. It's a simple blood test and your life will be better when your thyroid is stabilized. Good Luck!
  • ChrisBarb
    ChrisBarb Member Posts: 1
    Fran-HD said:

Thyroid vs radiation
    Fran

Hodgkins
    My wife Barb, had 4500 rads of radiation in 1976 at Saint Lukes Hospital in Chicago area. Her thyroid is swollen but her blood levels are okay. I thought you might be a good contact to share info and experiences that you have or will have from the cancer and treatment. She was originally dianosed with non-hodgkins and give a year to live back in 1975. We refused chemo, so they had to change it to hodgkins to treat with radiation, only after doing a staging-lap first to make sure the cancer had not spread to other internal organs. She has been fine until the last few years. Seems the radiation is making her pre-disposed to other problems. Is thyroid the only problem you have linked to radiation?
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator