More about radiation

Options
jakeca
jakeca Member Posts: 92
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I told my radiology technicians that it seems to me radiation works "bass-ackwards." The more they cook me, the rarer I look! They were amused and said they hadn't heard it expressed quite like that before!

Two more treatments for me--Good Friday really will be a GOOD Friday for me this year!

Happy Easter to everyone.

Comments

• Aortus
    Aortus Member Posts: 967
    Options
    Excellent Friday!
    I'm glad Good Friday is going to be especially good for you this year. As with all of your other gifts to us, thank you Lord!

Joe
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Options
    Congrats!
    Good Friday will most certainly be GOOD for you ! I am so happy for you! I have 20 more to go...darn it. Happy Easter to you and all!
  • GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077
    Options
    Jeanne D said:

Congrats!
    Good Friday will most certainly be GOOD for you ! I am so happy for you! I have 20 more to go...darn it. Happy Easter to you and all!

celebrate!
    I got a coffee mug and a certificate from my radiation team when I finished!! I just felt so elated to be done with it. Congratulations on your completion of this part of the journey.
    M
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You did it!
    I am on #18 and getting really pink. Is that normal? It doesn't hurt yet, but, I have 3 1/2 weeks to go. Anyone????
  • jakeca
    Options
    Noel said:

Congrats! You did it!
    I am on #18 and getting really pink. Is that normal? It doesn't hurt yet, but, I have 3 1/2 weeks to go. Anyone????

yes
    It was around that time that I started noticing some burn. Your oncologist can recommend some creams for you to use to give you some relief. Don't use anything without asking him (or the radiology technicians) first. I finally had to pay for a prescription called Xclair and it has helped. I learned that radiation continues to be active for two weeks after your treatments end, so side effects continue that long. You're having a rather long go at it--I only had to have 30 treatments so guess I was lucky. The time passed quickly even though I had an hour drive each way. I got some audio books and really enjoyed listening to them.

Good luck with your remaining treatments and your health in the future. I am SO looking forward to getting my life back to normal.
  • Noel
    Options
    jakeca said:

yes
    It was around that time that I started noticing some burn. Your oncologist can recommend some creams for you to use to give you some relief. Don't use anything without asking him (or the radiology technicians) first. I finally had to pay for a prescription called Xclair and it has helped. I learned that radiation continues to be active for two weeks after your treatments end, so side effects continue that long. You're having a rather long go at it--I only had to have 30 treatments so guess I was lucky. The time passed quickly even though I had an hour drive each way. I got some audio books and really enjoyed listening to them.

Good luck with your remaining treatments and your health in the future. I am SO looking forward to getting my life back to normal.

Wishing you the best Jakeca!
    Yes, I have to have 37 treatments. 25 to the whole area and then 12 booster to the incision area only. I am dreading it as I am already pink. If I get too burnt..I might just stop them for awhile or stop them period. It isn't worth scarring my body any worse with a 3rd degree burn. I hope you get your normal life back Jakeca! You deserve it!
  • jakeca
    Options
    Noel said:

Wishing you the best Jakeca!
    Yes, I have to have 37 treatments. 25 to the whole area and then 12 booster to the incision area only. I am dreading it as I am already pink. If I get too burnt..I might just stop them for awhile or stop them period. It isn't worth scarring my body any worse with a 3rd degree burn. I hope you get your normal life back Jakeca! You deserve it!

Please think about it
    I'm pretty sure your doctor can get you through this without scarring your body for life. Of course everyone has to decide for herself. But I hope you do everything possible to keep from having a recurrence. I feel very satisfied that having done chemo, radiation and now starting the five year program of Arimidex (hope I can tolerate it without too many side effects) that I have done everything humanly possible to protect myself and if I do have a recurrence or even a new cancer develop, I will have no regrets. Please talk to your doctor about your concerns. Let us know what you decide.

P.S.--I love your name! Is that just a user name, or is it your real name?
  • Noel
    Options
    jakeca said:

Please think about it
    I'm pretty sure your doctor can get you through this without scarring your body for life. Of course everyone has to decide for herself. But I hope you do everything possible to keep from having a recurrence. I feel very satisfied that having done chemo, radiation and now starting the five year program of Arimidex (hope I can tolerate it without too many side effects) that I have done everything humanly possible to protect myself and if I do have a recurrence or even a new cancer develop, I will have no regrets. Please talk to your doctor about your concerns. Let us know what you decide.

P.S.--I love your name! Is that just a user name, or is it your real name?

Yea for you today Jakeca!
    You are done! Congrats! Yes, Noel is my real name. lol So, hi! I hope my doctor can get me thru radiation. I have just seen some other patients that are further along than me and they are burnt to a crisp, blistering, in pain etc. It has scared me! I admire you for all that you have been thru and you have such a great attitude and outlook! I wish I did. Maybe someday I will..not for sure. Thank you for your encouragment. I will keep you updated on what I do. HUGS TO YOU!!!
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS!!
    This really is a stepping stone back into your life. You did it!! and we are proud and celebrate with you. Happy Easter to you !
    God Bless
    Jackie