How much time between chemo and radiation?

Aortus
Aortus Member Posts: 967
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Now that Moopy is coming up on the end of her chemo (one more infusion left, on April 24, YAY), we want to start the zapping as soon as possible. Moopsy is a so-called "triple negative," so we feel there is no time to waste.

We're counting Moopy's official "end-of-chemo" as May 15, which is 21 days out from her final infusion. Our question is, how much time usually elapses between the end of chemo and the beginning of radiation? Any information, comments, guidance or even weird jokes would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Joe
«1

Comments

  • jakeca
    jakeca Member Posts: 92
    3 weeks
    My personal experience was three weeks from the last infusion to the first rad treatment.
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    jakeca said:

    3 weeks
    My personal experience was three weeks from the last infusion to the first rad treatment.

    The recommendation from the
    The recommendation from the radiologist to start rads was three weeks from the date of the last chemo infusion. I actually started four days later, because I choose to start on a Monday so I could keep up with the schedule (chemo brain). I had 40 treatments of rads, and actually took my last treatment on a Monday because the hospital equipment broke down one of my scheduled days, therefore delaying me over a weekend to take my final rad. I was on TAC, just like Moopy, and was very tired after my last chemo infusion. However, I didn't want to delay rads, and stayed on schedule. I think this sounds normal to me, as lots of the posters here were scheduled the same as I was. I know she is looking forward to her last chemo...and I am in her corner waiting to hear it is over. The radiation treatments are not nearly as hard as chemo. The last week is a more concentrated rad, specifically on the tumor area, and not the entire breast. It makes you tired, but certainly not exhausted. We all will be keeping up with her schedule. Good luck. Hugs to you both, you are such a grand couple.

    Judy
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member

    The recommendation from the
    The recommendation from the radiologist to start rads was three weeks from the date of the last chemo infusion. I actually started four days later, because I choose to start on a Monday so I could keep up with the schedule (chemo brain). I had 40 treatments of rads, and actually took my last treatment on a Monday because the hospital equipment broke down one of my scheduled days, therefore delaying me over a weekend to take my final rad. I was on TAC, just like Moopy, and was very tired after my last chemo infusion. However, I didn't want to delay rads, and stayed on schedule. I think this sounds normal to me, as lots of the posters here were scheduled the same as I was. I know she is looking forward to her last chemo...and I am in her corner waiting to hear it is over. The radiation treatments are not nearly as hard as chemo. The last week is a more concentrated rad, specifically on the tumor area, and not the entire breast. It makes you tired, but certainly not exhausted. We all will be keeping up with her schedule. Good luck. Hugs to you both, you are such a grand couple.

    Judy

    Thanks both of you
    Thanks for the information! And Judy, thanks for your helpful details of what I can expect. As always, your encouragement and support means so much!

    Moopy
  • sausageroll
    sausageroll Member Posts: 415
    Moopy23 said:

    Thanks both of you
    Thanks for the information! And Judy, thanks for your helpful details of what I can expect. As always, your encouragement and support means so much!

    Moopy

    Good luck!
    Good luck Moopy...I know you will get through it all fine.
    On the news this morning 2 hospitals in Baltimore are starting a new radiation program that only lasts 5 days!
  • zahalene
    zahalene Member Posts: 670
    Moopy23 said:

    Thanks both of you
    Thanks for the information! And Judy, thanks for your helpful details of what I can expect. As always, your encouragement and support means so much!

    Moopy

    6 weeks for me...
    between chemo and rads. But that was a long time ago, things have changed. I think it depends a lot on how completely your incision has healed. Just wanted to mention this so you wouldn't be disappointed or freaked out if they want you to wait longer than 3 weeks. Hugs.
  • Derbygirl
    Derbygirl Member Posts: 198
    Radiation began 3 weeks
    Radiation began 3 weeks after chemo and I had 25 treatments. This will be so much easier on Moopy than chemo. My fatigue continued and there was a moderate burn that started during week #3. Aquaphor healing ointment was recommended by the Radiologist at the time the redness began and the burn was greatly healed one week after treatment ended. On the subject of being triple negative, Docs refer to me as NEARLY triple negative. I'm only 5% ER positive and taking hormone therapy to get whatever benefit possible to reduce the risk of recurrence. I'm glad my Onc. reviewed this part of my treatment again and recommended additional therapy. Good luck!
  • mgm42
    mgm42 Member Posts: 491 Member
    My Schedule...
    I had my last chemo on April 19, 2008 and was scheduled to start 33 radiation treatments on May 7th. However, I had to postpone until May 12th because my dad passed away on May 3rd. I agree with you that the sooner the better but I believe it's important to give your body a few weeks off, too. Hope this helps. Good luck. Marilynn
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    mgm42 said:

    My Schedule...
    I had my last chemo on April 19, 2008 and was scheduled to start 33 radiation treatments on May 7th. However, I had to postpone until May 12th because my dad passed away on May 3rd. I agree with you that the sooner the better but I believe it's important to give your body a few weeks off, too. Hope this helps. Good luck. Marilynn

    Hey Guys!
    Hi you two! I had a 3 week break then 33 rads. Rads are a breeze next to chemo and my hair started growing back and the technicians were a pleasure to be around every day..it soon passes. Keep your Pecker up Moopster!!!!!!! HUGE HUGS to both of you turquoise warriors! Jxxxxxxxx
  • Aortus
    Aortus Member Posts: 967
    tasha_111 said:

    Hey Guys!
    Hi you two! I had a 3 week break then 33 rads. Rads are a breeze next to chemo and my hair started growing back and the technicians were a pleasure to be around every day..it soon passes. Keep your Pecker up Moopster!!!!!!! HUGE HUGS to both of you turquoise warriors! Jxxxxxxxx

    How did you know
    ...keeping peckers up is one of Moopy's natural gifts?
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    RADS
    Hello you two, always nice to see your smiling faces! It was three weeks for me as well, I did get pretty tired and a tad burned. Moopy be sure to avoid direct sunlight use strong suntan lotion as you will be far more apt to get sunburned, ie: neck and shoulder area's. It really isn't all that bad, just time consuming and you have to lay real still which for me is near impossible! Keep us posted on your progress!

    HUGS,

    RE
  • Mikes Sunshine
    Mikes Sunshine Member Posts: 129
    RE said:

    RADS
    Hello you two, always nice to see your smiling faces! It was three weeks for me as well, I did get pretty tired and a tad burned. Moopy be sure to avoid direct sunlight use strong suntan lotion as you will be far more apt to get sunburned, ie: neck and shoulder area's. It really isn't all that bad, just time consuming and you have to lay real still which for me is near impossible! Keep us posted on your progress!

    HUGS,

    RE

    Rads
    Hi Moopey and Joe, I am heading to the Onc. tomorrow. I have the same question on the top of my list. I am getting my last chem on Friday. So I am anxious to find out when they will start rads also. I will let you know what they say but, It seems that everyones is saying the same thing here on the board, about three weeks. Take Care, Nancy
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    I think the "norm" is 3
    I think the "norm" is 3 weeks after chemo that you start radiation treatments. But, they also want to be sure that your incision/incisions have healed before they start it. So, that is probably the only thing that would delay it. Good luck to you! I am in radiation now...a little pink and itchy, but, surviving so far. :)
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    I think it was about 5 weeks
    I think it was about 5 weeks for me.
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member

    Rads
    Hi Moopey and Joe, I am heading to the Onc. tomorrow. I have the same question on the top of my list. I am getting my last chem on Friday. So I am anxious to find out when they will start rads also. I will let you know what they say but, It seems that everyones is saying the same thing here on the board, about three weeks. Take Care, Nancy

    Hi Nancy
    Wow last Chemo on Fri. I am so happy for you. my last will be on the 24th of this mo. Then i will also be doing rads. My Onc. did tell me about 3 weeks or maybe sooner. I am anxious to get this part done also. I will still have herceptin infusions every 3 weeks for a year and then the tamoxofin for 5 years. Are you doing this too?

    I will be thinking of you on Fri. and wishing you all the luck in the world always!

    Love
    jackie
  • Mikes Sunshine
    Mikes Sunshine Member Posts: 129
    Eil4186 said:

    I think it was about 5 weeks
    I think it was about 5 weeks for me.

    rads
    Hi Jackie, Nice hearing from you. Yes I have my last chemo tomorrow. I sawmy onc. this morning, she said 3 to 4 weeks before starting rads. They want to give a chance for my blood counts to come back to normal, I will get scheduled to see the radiologist as soon as possible to get things moving. Also she said they will make arraingments to have the port removed. I did take your advice and I am seeing a councilor and have started on anti-depressants. I am still very teary eyed but I am sleeping much better at night. I hope things arewell with you and I hope you have a wonderful Easter. Love, Nancy
  • Aortus
    Aortus Member Posts: 967

    rads
    Hi Jackie, Nice hearing from you. Yes I have my last chemo tomorrow. I sawmy onc. this morning, she said 3 to 4 weeks before starting rads. They want to give a chance for my blood counts to come back to normal, I will get scheduled to see the radiologist as soon as possible to get things moving. Also she said they will make arraingments to have the port removed. I did take your advice and I am seeing a councilor and have started on anti-depressants. I am still very teary eyed but I am sleeping much better at night. I hope things arewell with you and I hope you have a wonderful Easter. Love, Nancy

    Best Wishes, Nancy!
    Thank you for checking in again, Nancy. Moopy and I get worried about you when we don't hear from you - even though we know there are times when people are too tired or bummed out to check in. We are both happy to hear you have your last chemo tomorrow, and hope your Friday isn't just a GOOD one, but an EXCELLENT one!

    Best,
    Joe

    P.S. The antidepressants will really help. I've been on them for going on 15 years!
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    I think the norm
    is about 3 weeks after chemo. But, they mainly want to make for sure that you have gained some strength and that your incision has healed nicely. The radiation zaps out any energy you might have. Good luck to you! I just had # 18 today. I have 19 to go :(((
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143
    rads
    Joe, I have mine scheduled to start on May 4th -- about 4 weeks after my last chemo treatment. The extra week is to give me a break between treatments.
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    I dunno!!!!!!
    I have something sooo amazing to report about the time between chemo to radiation~ I DON'T REMEMBER!!!! This is a good thing: it is not an age related, residual chemo, denial state of mind, I promise! It just is part of what happened then, and honestly I can't recall! I could have sworn it was 6 weeks! I recall it being six weeks from surgery to chemotherapy, but I have a touchpoint for that. My chemo started on May 5,2003. That is a Big Holiday, celebrated with gusto here in California~ Cinquo de Mayo in Spanish for those of you keeping score. As my surgery was the 20th of March, well, as they say, You do the math!
    I have been reading all your posts that say a 3 week difference. That has got to be true~ I finished all treatment December 11, 2003, and being as I had 33 zapperoonies, it too had to have been a 3 week respite.

    How wonderful that every minute, day, hour, poke, prod isn't burned forever into our sometimes fragile psyches. Sometimes obviously, forgetting is a positive!!!!!

    Hugs,
    Claudia
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    chenheart said:

    I dunno!!!!!!
    I have something sooo amazing to report about the time between chemo to radiation~ I DON'T REMEMBER!!!! This is a good thing: it is not an age related, residual chemo, denial state of mind, I promise! It just is part of what happened then, and honestly I can't recall! I could have sworn it was 6 weeks! I recall it being six weeks from surgery to chemotherapy, but I have a touchpoint for that. My chemo started on May 5,2003. That is a Big Holiday, celebrated with gusto here in California~ Cinquo de Mayo in Spanish for those of you keeping score. As my surgery was the 20th of March, well, as they say, You do the math!
    I have been reading all your posts that say a 3 week difference. That has got to be true~ I finished all treatment December 11, 2003, and being as I had 33 zapperoonies, it too had to have been a 3 week respite.

    How wonderful that every minute, day, hour, poke, prod isn't burned forever into our sometimes fragile psyches. Sometimes obviously, forgetting is a positive!!!!!

    Hugs,
    Claudia

    I'm right behind you
    I'm right behind you Claudia. I was diagnosed Aug. 2003. The only reason I know these dates are because I wrote them down. Last chemo was April 8 2004 and started radiation May 6 2004.