Farrah Fawcett - Update

Options
VickiCO
VickiCO Member Posts: 917
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I just heard that Farrah Fawcett is losing her battle with anal cancer. She was hospitalized and has now slipped into a coma. My thoughts and prayers are with her loved ones.

Vicki

This was false information and I apologize for passing it on too quickly. See my post below for an update. Vicki

Comments

• msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    bummer
    I don't follow the stars, but i have always been interested in how her battle was going; you know, to get the funding we need, we really need some hollywood people to be touched closely by this particular beast. I was particularly interested in her because she was diagnosed a bit after me and I believe was doing Xeloda, at least did initially.
    mary
  • shoppergal
    shoppergal Member Posts: 118
    Options
    Farrah
    I just listened to the news about her and they didn't say that she was in a coma. They said she was dehydrated and they feel it was from the experimental treatments she was receiving in Germany. They also said she would most likely be released from the hospital. Interesting how different stories get told.Regardless we do know that she is losing her battle with anal cancer,so my best wishes go out to her and her family. VIcky, I know you live in Co, I was wondering where about? My son moved out there about 5 yrs ago and lives in Westminster. I go and visit every summer, it's beautiful that time of year. It's alot less humid than NY in the summer!
  • VickiCO
    Options

Farrah
    I just listened to the news about her and they didn't say that she was in a coma. They said she was dehydrated and they feel it was from the experimental treatments she was receiving in Germany. They also said she would most likely be released from the hospital. Interesting how different stories get told.Regardless we do know that she is losing her battle with anal cancer,so my best wishes go out to her and her family. VIcky, I know you live in Co, I was wondering where about? My son moved out there about 5 yrs ago and lives in Westminster. I go and visit every summer, it's beautiful that time of year. It's alot less humid than NY in the summer!

Farrah
    Yes, there are several stories now. The local news channel from Denver is where they said coma. They have now corrected themselves. I wish news people wouldn't be so eager to think the worst.

I live in Fort Lupton, about 15 minutes east of Westminster. Yes, we have no humidity, but it still gets HOT. We love it here, though.

Vicki
  • CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Farrah
    Hey Vicki... I haven't had the tv on today (been in and out of the apartment, it is such a glorious day here today!) so I haven't heard the latest on Farrah. The last I did hear was some weeks back... I think it was an article or something about how she and a friend filmed her treatments she got in Germany and they are going to do a documentary about her journey. I have not heard that she is losing the battle... that is new news to me.

Is it common knowledge that she is losing the battle or just the papparazzi's take on what's going on?

I can't remember now but she was on chemo and I think radiation at the beginning then I think I heard (I could be wrong here) that she stopped the traditional treatments and turned to alternative solutions (vitamin therapy, etc)... but I haven't heard anything since then.

Now, I'm wondering if the doctors had said there was nothing more they could do for her, hence her decision to go for alternative medicine/therapy or was it her own decision to stop chemo/radiation to change to alternative methods?

Cheryl
  • VickiCO
    Options

Farrah
    Hey Vicki... I haven't had the tv on today (been in and out of the apartment, it is such a glorious day here today!) so I haven't heard the latest on Farrah. The last I did hear was some weeks back... I think it was an article or something about how she and a friend filmed her treatments she got in Germany and they are going to do a documentary about her journey. I have not heard that she is losing the battle... that is new news to me.

Is it common knowledge that she is losing the battle or just the papparazzi's take on what's going on?

I can't remember now but she was on chemo and I think radiation at the beginning then I think I heard (I could be wrong here) that she stopped the traditional treatments and turned to alternative solutions (vitamin therapy, etc)... but I haven't heard anything since then.

Now, I'm wondering if the doctors had said there was nothing more they could do for her, hence her decision to go for alternative medicine/therapy or was it her own decision to stop chemo/radiation to change to alternative methods?

Cheryl

It was misinformation
    Thankfully it has been updated. An overzealous newsperson had her dying this morning and I mistakenly posted here before they corrected it. She is undergoing new treatment for liver mets. You can read the real story here

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=402696&GT1=28101&

As a journalist myself, shame on me for not checking it out before posting.

Vicki
  • Madre
    Madre Member Posts: 123
    Options
    VickiCO said:

It was misinformation
    Thankfully it has been updated. An overzealous newsperson had her dying this morning and I mistakenly posted here before they corrected it. She is undergoing new treatment for liver mets. You can read the real story here

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=402696&GT1=28101&

As a journalist myself, shame on me for not checking it out before posting.

Vicki

I heard that she was
    I heard that she was hospitalized for abdominal pain which was from the stem cell treatment in Germany that caused blood clots and further test showed the cancer spread to her liver. I too remembered when she got this. So sad, but you are right, a disease isn't "real" until hollywood gets it. Post pardom depression...Brook shields, Mental illness....Delta Burke, AIDS......Magic Johnson. And the list goes on.
  • CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Madre said:

I heard that she was
    I heard that she was hospitalized for abdominal pain which was from the stem cell treatment in Germany that caused blood clots and further test showed the cancer spread to her liver. I too remembered when she got this. So sad, but you are right, a disease isn't "real" until hollywood gets it. Post pardom depression...Brook shields, Mental illness....Delta Burke, AIDS......Magic Johnson. And the list goes on.

More tabloid who-ha ;)
    Except, as her spokesperson said, she did not get stem cell treatment in Germany and the reason she landed in the hospital this week was because of a painful hematoma, that had nothing to do with the cancer.

So again, one can't really depend on what any of the papers write... be them tabloids or even mainstream :/ It's too bad it's come to this because let's face it... we all tend to rely on the media, to some extent, to give us the news. It would be so nice to be able to be able to get reliable news, but it seems once one has reported an event in a certain light, then they all copy.

So, her hospital stay this time was no big deal and, although the hematoma was painful (hence why she went to the hospital to get it treated), it had nothing to do with her cancer or her life expectancy.

Cheryl