Hans update....

Options
KathiM
KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Thank you, thank you, all for your warm thoughts and prayers! And thank you, Lisa, for the thread!

Hans is taking a nap right now, so I have a few minutes.

He is definately mentally damaged. His words. He has to look at the callendar to figure out what day it is. Small things mainly, mostly short term memory stuff. But, he realizes he is in trouble, and so he is doing things to exercise his brain. He gets frustrated, and yells (usually at me), but I am trying hard to grin and bear it.

His pneumonia (from the intubation) is almost gone, and the gashes (!) in his legs and back are healing. There were many, many things done wrong during his stay, including a cardiac fellow (read grown-up resident) who shocked him 3 times, in front of me, flat-lined him the last time. And did it without a medical release, or an order from anyone.

I needed to analyze (you know me...lol!) why I constantly wanted just to run away. I actually did a few times in the hospital, but only to the cafe for a cup of coffee. His behaviors reminded me of my daughter's at the start of her mental illness. And we all know how badly THAT turned out! So, now that I understand my response, it's easier to curb it.

We are facing another procedure on Tuesday, but will not do it without him being better than he is today. This time, it is in the hospital where he is on staff, so it will be more like home. It is not even supposed to require a stay overnight. BUT I will NOT take him home if there is ANY question to his safety...I don't want him coding again, at HOME!

Thank you, again, for all of your support...my fellow semi-colons!

All of my love, Kathi

Comments

• VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    Options
    Ah, Kathi
    We are holding you guys close in our prayers and thoughts. I am sorry he's had such a hard road. And you are the best caregiver. Give yourself a break as well.

Many, Many {{{{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}}}}}} Vicki
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options
    my heart goes out to you
    Hi Kathi,

Oh, you poor dear! I can't believe all that has transpired with Hans. The incompetence and downright liable mistakes that were made are really awful and quite scary to think what happens in hospitals. I'm glad his upcoming procedure will be at a different hospital.
    I'm so sorry you're having to bear the brunt of his frustrations with his own lost mental capacity. Do you have adequate support, there around you? I know you have this board and am glad you do- but do you have someone there helping you and giving you their shoulder to cry on and actual help with things you need done? I am hoping and praying so for you.

You take care, dear, and let us know how it goes. I'll keep praying that things will turn around for the better.

Hugs,
    Lisa
  • CanadaSue
    CanadaSue Member Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Hans
    Kathi,

My thought and prayers are with you both as you go thru this trying time.

Wishing you both well on Tuesday!

Hugs,

Sue
  • maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member
    Options
    CanadaSue said:

Hans
    Kathi,

My thought and prayers are with you both as you go thru this trying time.

Wishing you both well on Tuesday!

Hugs,

Sue

so sorry

Ah Kathi I am so sorry you are having to go through this. I hope the next procedure goes more smoothly...and I hope you do have some support for yourself.

Love and thinking of you'
    Mags
  • robinvan
    robinvan Member Posts: 1,012
    Options
    Thanks Kathi
    Hi Kathi,

Thanks for the update on Hans. I'm so sorry you are both having to go through this. I hope the weekend brings some improvement and that things go well on Tuesday.

Peace and blessings...

Rob
  • Kanort
    Kanort Member Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    I'm Sorry!
    Hi Kathi,

I am just now catching up with the threads, so forgive my delay in voicing my sorrow to hear about Hans. You have been through so much. I certainly understand your need to run away.

I hope that Thursday's procedure will be without incident. Keeping you and Hans in my heart and prayers.

Hugs,

Kay
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Whew!
    Kathi,

I'm so glad this will be done in "his" hospital. It should make such a difference in his care. I'll keep praying for the two of y'all.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    Options
    AHOY, FORMER DAUGHTER
    Hey there, Kathi -

Please tell Hans that Katie and I are keeping him in our thoughts and prayers. We hope to catch-up with you guys for lunch or dinner next time we're out in CA.

- SB
  • Monicaemilia
    Monicaemilia Member Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Hans
    Hi Kathy: You two are being put through so many challenges, but you will overcome this one too. It is absolutely understandable that you would be reminded of what happened to your daughter, but remember, this is a different situation. The mind is an amazing thing, and there are many, many documented cases where mental damage is healed/reversed. At this point, you just need some patience and faith. I also just want to remind you to please not forget to take care of yourself, and continue to be ever vigilant. I will pray that Tuesday goes without a hitch. Monica
  • kmygil
    kmygil Member Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Time, Sweetie
    Ah Kathi,

You two have been through so much together. I understand your impulse to run away--sometimes everything just seems to be toooooo much! I'm glad that Hans will be treated in his own hospital; the quality of his care should be much better. I can't believe the actions that were taken where he is.

To quote a great cliche "Time is the great healer," is not being trite. I believe that brain damage can repair to a great extent given time. That time will be frustrating for both you and Hans, but the brain finds so many ways to compensate. I pray for you both to have the patience required and for God to heal.

Bless you both,
    Kirsten
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    crapness!
    I am so sorry to read about Hans and the horror of what you experienced while he was at the hospital. I pray you will be able to get those visions out of your head soon and that God strengthen Hans daily, as well as you. I know you will be comforted having him back at his own hospital, where his colleagues will be helping you to watch out for his best interests. Remember to take care of you while taking care of Hans.
    mary