Juicing revisited....

Options
lizbiz
lizbiz Member Posts: 120
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi everyone!

I was just wondering, for those of you that juice, what recipes do you use? I've done so much reading on anti-cancer foods and I'm just confused as to what would be the best veggie/fruit combo for me.

I try to juice at least 4 times per week and I find that I'm putting everything in but the kitchen sink. My latest combo is the following:

3 carrots
3 stalks bok choy
a large bunch of kale greens
3 leaves green cabbage
3 leaves purple cabbage
1 apple
2 oranges
a handful of grapes or blueberries (whatever I have at the time)

Am I crazy??? Does anyone have any advice for more "efficient" juicing?

Thanks in advance!

Hugs and Prayers,
Elizabeth

Comments

• scouty
    scouty Member Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options
    Crazy NO Brave YES!!
    What a combo!!! That is very impressive. I personally think it depends on what you are trying to achieve with your juicing: fighting cancer, rebuilding after chemo, preparing for surgery, general maitenance, etc etc...

I find the "Juicing for Life" book the best for spelling out what the juice of fruits and veggies do for your bod. It is written by Cherie Calbom and Maureen Keane. It's in paperback and I bet you can find a used one really inexpensive on amazon.

It starts with the basics and benefits and then covers dozens of disorders from Acne to Varicose Veins, including cancer. The last section is about diet plans.

Patrick Quillan's book "Beating Cancer with Nutrition" also has some juicing and diet tips for the various stages us cancer survivors go through.

You should be proud of yourself for doing what you are doing for your body Elizabeth!!!

Cheers!!!
    Lisa P.
  • claud1951
    claud1951 Member Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Elizabeth
    I've juiced for

Elizabeth

I've juiced for years now. I only add an apple to my veggie juice. I never mix any other fruit with it.

My daily juice is:
    Carrots
    celery
    spinach or kale
    1 apple (I happen to like ripe golden delcious because it's sweeter)
    slice of ginger

Also, I make sure I only have 1/4 "green" juice in the glass ( use more carrots than greens). More green can play with your tummy...gassy bloated feeling.

We all will have something different. This has worked for me.

I usually eat the fruit and juice the veggies. (Actually I eat the veggies, too).
    When I want to have a real treat I juice all Fruits together. For me, that is almost like dessert!

Happy Juicing.
  • emrose
    emrose Member Posts: 136
    Options
    claud1951 said:

Elizabeth
    I've juiced for

Elizabeth

I've juiced for years now. I only add an apple to my veggie juice. I never mix any other fruit with it.

My daily juice is:
    Carrots
    celery
    spinach or kale
    1 apple (I happen to like ripe golden delcious because it's sweeter)
    slice of ginger

Also, I make sure I only have 1/4 "green" juice in the glass ( use more carrots than greens). More green can play with your tummy...gassy bloated feeling.

We all will have something different. This has worked for me.

I usually eat the fruit and juice the veggies. (Actually I eat the veggies, too).
    When I want to have a real treat I juice all Fruits together. For me, that is almost like dessert!

Happy Juicing.

Juicing!
    I was juicing 3 times a day and it's a lot of work! I still
    Juice for my husband, but a lot less now that be's going through chemo.

I start with a fruit base (not much, just to sweeten and get more juice)
    Apple
    Orange
    Or
    Pineapple

Then I almost always add carrots

Then greens. Either cabbage, kale, or spinach (often a combo)

And usually one or two "bonuses"
    Beet
    Cucumber
    Celery
    Ginger
    Parsley
    Lemon

I usually throw in some green powder ad well.

And sometimes - it's just whatever we have!! As long as it's fresh, raw veggies - you can't go wrong!
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    emrose said:

Juicing!
    I was juicing 3 times a day and it's a lot of work! I still
    Juice for my husband, but a lot less now that be's going through chemo.

I start with a fruit base (not much, just to sweeten and get more juice)
    Apple
    Orange
    Or
    Pineapple

Then I almost always add carrots

Then greens. Either cabbage, kale, or spinach (often a combo)

And usually one or two "bonuses"
    Beet
    Cucumber
    Celery
    Ginger
    Parsley
    Lemon

I usually throw in some green powder ad well.

And sometimes - it's just whatever we have!! As long as it's fresh, raw veggies - you can't go wrong!

juicing fruits and veges
    seems to me i read somewhere that you shouldn't juice citrus with anything but citrus; that the acid can neutralize the nutrients in the other stuff. Apples are fine, and i think i juiced grapes in with veges as well, but never citrus. I'm sure emily would have more to say on this subject
    mary
  • glinka65
    glinka65 Member Posts: 132
    Options
    msccolon said:

juicing fruits and veges
    seems to me i read somewhere that you shouldn't juice citrus with anything but citrus; that the acid can neutralize the nutrients in the other stuff. Apples are fine, and i think i juiced grapes in with veges as well, but never citrus. I'm sure emily would have more to say on this subject
    mary

juice
    i love juicing!!! i to throw in all but the kitchen sink i find it helps build energy with the chemo, one of my favs is pineapple, apples, and strawberrys mmm mmm good carrots and celery with apple and ginger is a great boost!!!! good health to all!!! TOMMY
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    Options
    glinka65 said:

juice
    i love juicing!!! i to throw in all but the kitchen sink i find it helps build energy with the chemo, one of my favs is pineapple, apples, and strawberrys mmm mmm good carrots and celery with apple and ginger is a great boost!!!! good health to all!!! TOMMY

I don't know....
    ...much about juicing, but sounds good! do you just throw the fruits and vegetables without cutting or peeling, or taking the skins off and stuff? or do you clean and cut them all, taking the seeds out and all that?? how do you do this? I know this is a stupid question lol...
  • 2bhealed
    2bhealed Member Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    Juicing Rocks!
    Hey all,

my favorite juice du jour:

carrot
    parsley
    kale
    spinach
    celery
    ginger

add ons if I have them or am in the mood:

beets
    romayne
    cukes

I believe the ONLY fruits that can be combined with veggies are apples and lemons. Don't ask me why cuz I am not remembering (I should know...).

I like to make fruit smoothies and juice my veggies and eat my fruits and salads.

Apple/Lemon makes the BEST lemonade on the planet.

I add wheat grass powder and flax seed to my juices. I use to add protein powder but now I just put that in my smoothies.

JUICE ON ROCK STARS!!

peace, emily the juice chick who loves her shade of orange