Options
2»

Comments

• phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Options
    tasha_111 said:

Thanks all
    I had WORDS with HIM. I think it might be finally sinking in..not so much "The Penny Dropped" as "The Thundering Crash of falling Coins"!!!!!!!
    Anyway, My ex-neighbour (Who is as weird as a nine Bob note; but knows loads of herbal stuff) Told me that Lettuce is good for sleep and so is Lavender,Eat the first, smell the last.
    I'm munching away on the lettuce now......Good luck all you raging insomniacs... If it doesn't work I'll see you at 3 A.M. Hugs Jxxxxxxxxxx

Tasha, you're right.
    Tasha, you're right. Lettuce is a sedative. I'd forgotten all about that. If one were to try it I think juicing 1/4 to 1/2 head depending on the size would probably let you know one way or the other if it worked. However today I think most people would rather take a pill. It's faster and there's no clean up.
  • celinelvr
    celinelvr Member Posts: 30
    Options

Tasha, you're right.
    Tasha, you're right. Lettuce is a sedative. I'd forgotten all about that. If one were to try it I think juicing 1/4 to 1/2 head depending on the size would probably let you know one way or the other if it worked. However today I think most people would rather take a pill. It's faster and there's no clean up.

sleepless in Ohio
    A cup of camomile tea works good for me!
    Milly
  • chili
    chili Member Posts: 32
    Options
    There is such a thing as sleep???
    I too have been unable to sleep, a combination of pain from the surgeries ( I had my ankle repaired just before the diagnosis and lumpectomy) stress (I'm sure) and just being uncomfortable. I've tried almost everything - including turkey! A combination of several items will let me sleep for up to 5 hours - it's heaven! You may have to experiment. Benadryl always leaves me foggy the next day so I try to stay away from it. Ambien works, but I really don't want to take it every night. Chamomile will make me sleepy if I'm not - but doesn't help with the waking up every 2 hours piece ( I tell people I sleep like a baby - up every 2 hours!). Spooning does help put me to sleep some nights - but my husband is a snorer, so once I'm asleep he's off to his bed. Hopefully we'll all be sleeping through the night sooner rather than later. I had forgotten about some of the home remedies and had never heard about lettuce - I need more veggies in my diet anyway! Thanks and hugs to all. Wishing you a successful and peaceful week.
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    Call your doctor and see if
    Call your doctor and see if they can prescribe something for you. I am taking a prescription sleeping pill now. I can't sleep either and I need my energy for Radiation. Let us know how you do.
  • HillBillyNana
    HillBillyNana Member Posts: 107
    Options

Hey you non-sleepers out
    Hey you non-sleepers out there. This is a major problem as far as I am concerned, so I have researched this on several Boards. There are some non-prescription meds that are talked about. The more common one is melatonin, which is found in health food stores, and is supposed to help with sleep. It comes in two forms...one that you put under your tongue and it melts, and another is time released. Another is called Calm Forte, which you can find only at Walgreens. And the third is called Natural Calm (don't know where to find this, but I am sure you could look it up on the internet). I haven't tried any of these, but if you are trying to get away from prescription sleep aids, one of these might be an option. I am on Ambien CR nightly, and this is the only thing that works to let me get a few hours of sleep anyway. I know this cannot be a long term solution, so may try one of the natural methods soon. Good luck on finding something that works for you. Hugs to all,

Judy

Melatonin
    Hi Creampuff, I am 5 years away from my last chemo treatment. I cannot sleep without the ativan. I have tried to cut down to half a pill, but by the second night i have to take the whole pill to sleep. I have heard of Melatonin and would like to try it. But my cancer was estrogen receptive. The oncologist says "no hormones" - do you think that means "no meltonin"? I would like to stop the ativan,but I need some sleep too.
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Options
    Jeanne D said:

Call your doctor
    and get a sleeping pill. There are so many out there now. I take Trazodone at night, just one and it works pretty well. It gives you that rapid eye movement sleep or whatever that we all need. Sometimes I take 1 1/2...depends on if I am tired or not. But,I know there are lots of others out there. You need sleep..so..try and get something that will help you!

Hi Jeanne
    Trazadone is a great one thats what I take.
    hugs, jackie
  • Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    Hi Dibs!
    Welcome to the Board! I'm sorry you are having a hard time sleeping. Just wanted to comment on the Valerian Root. It's made by Nature's Resource. It says for "occasional" sleeplessness. 1st-beware..it kinda smells! 2nd-this is actually a natural form of Valium. So, please check with the doc if you decide to go this route. I tried it several years ago and sometimes it worked well, sometimes not. I was under alot of stress at the time so that may be why it didn't! Hope you can find a solution soon and get some good restful sleep!
    Hugz,
    Cathy