Anyone with permanent ileostomy I have a question?

Options
FAPMom47
FAPMom47 Member Posts: 68
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I was dx in 2004 with rectal cancer which turned out to be F.A.P.. I had a permanent ileostomy in May of 2006, my bottom is still bleeding. I live in Shelby North Carolina, I have seen 3 drs. and the head of the cancer center at Wake Forest Baptist Association Hospital in Winston-Salem, says there is a 2 cm stump that needs to be removed. I have seen 2 surgeons and they said they think it would be a high risk for infection, because it would have to be packed. I am real confused and I have already had 3 surgeries, I am a 40 year old female can anyone give me advice? PLEASE help I am confused and don't know what to do. Any advice would be helpful, Thanks so much.

Jackie

Comments

• Monicaemilia
    Monicaemilia Member Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Fellow FAPer
    Hi Jackie: I also was dignosed with FAP in Nov. 2005. I am 41 years old and have a temporary iliestomy that I am in absolutely no hurry to get rid of. What I do not understand about your situation is #1. why they left the stump in if the iliestomy is permanent? #2. if the surgeons are worried about infection, is there a second option? #3. You mentioned bleeding, are you also having other side effects from the stump being left in? Monica
  • FAPMom47
    Options

Fellow FAPer
    Hi Jackie: I also was dignosed with FAP in Nov. 2005. I am 41 years old and have a temporary iliestomy that I am in absolutely no hurry to get rid of. What I do not understand about your situation is #1. why they left the stump in if the iliestomy is permanent? #2. if the surgeons are worried about infection, is there a second option? #3. You mentioned bleeding, are you also having other side effects from the stump being left in? Monica

Thanks for your response
    Hi Monica, I don't understand why they left it either. I have seen 2 other Drs. for options, but they are saying surgery. I have started having severe abdominal pain, went to E.R. 2 weeks ago. They had me go back to the surgeon, who said he did not see why I was hurting. And told me to go back to Winston-Salem N.C. to the comprehensive cancer center. And they also called me yesterday to see the Dr. who will do the surgery. I seen him about 4 months ago and he left the decision up to me, and after him explaining everything I decided "no" surgery. He agreed but the head of the cancer center wants me to have the surgery. I am so confused about the whole deal. Thanks for the reply. Jackie
  • tiny one
    tiny one Member Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    ileostomy
    I'm saying prayers for you. I'm sorry I don't have any answers for you. I wonder what they mean when they say stump? Hopefully you'll get some clear answers to your problem. God bless.
  • FAPMom47
    Options
    tiny one said:

ileostomy
    I'm saying prayers for you. I'm sorry I don't have any answers for you. I wonder what they mean when they say stump? Hopefully you'll get some clear answers to your problem. God bless.

tiny one
    Thank You and I will read about your situation and be praying for you, too. You can never have too many prayers. God Bless You.

Much Love and Prayers
    Jackie