Pain meds and rash

Options
angelsbaby
angelsbaby Member Posts: 1,165 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Angel is getting dalauded in the pump and can give himself extra doses as needed which he has been doing lately stomach pain but any way about a week now he has been complaing of itching back ect. so i used an adhisive remover for the ileostomy glue and stuff that whole area that i used the adhisve he got these bumps itchy so i thought ok its the adhisive but he has it on his thighs now i think it is the pain meds but the hospice nurse didn;t have any answers. I will get him some benadryl and see,.He did itch like that before when he was in the hospital and the nurse said it was the opates in the pain meds. Any thoughts or suggestions

thanks michelle

Comments

• lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options
    a thought
    Hi Michelle,

Has Angel been using any different kind of adhesive for the ostomy or a different adhesive that holds the needle for the pump in place lately? Or anything else that's been a change? When I used to have a pump for 5FU, one time they apparently used a different brand of adhesive to put over the area of the needle going into my port. Within minutes of them putting it on me, I had itchy bumps breaking out under and around the adhesive & then the bumps started coming out on my face, arms, and legs also. It was a definite allergic reaction. The nurses (after removing it and pumping me full of benadryl) made a note of the brand and to never use that kind on me again. I had never had any kind of reaction to adhesives before, so it was a surprise that I had that reaction.

I have also heard that certain pain meds can cause rashes- so maybe that's it.

Best wishes to you. You are so strong through all this, Michelle. Keep it up and keep coming here when you need help or support. I'm still praying for you and Angel.

Blessings,
    Lisa
  • angelsbaby
    Options
    lisa42 said:

a thought
    Hi Michelle,

Has Angel been using any different kind of adhesive for the ostomy or a different adhesive that holds the needle for the pump in place lately? Or anything else that's been a change? When I used to have a pump for 5FU, one time they apparently used a different brand of adhesive to put over the area of the needle going into my port. Within minutes of them putting it on me, I had itchy bumps breaking out under and around the adhesive & then the bumps started coming out on my face, arms, and legs also. It was a definite allergic reaction. The nurses (after removing it and pumping me full of benadryl) made a note of the brand and to never use that kind on me again. I had never had any kind of reaction to adhesives before, so it was a surprise that I had that reaction.

I have also heard that certain pain meds can cause rashes- so maybe that's it.

Best wishes to you. You are so strong through all this, Michelle. Keep it up and keep coming here when you need help or support. I'm still praying for you and Angel.

Blessings,
    Lisa

Pain pump
    Lisa, Angels other pump is the one that looks like a hockey puck that they put directly into the stomach cavity a tube goes around his back and the pain meds are pumped directly into the spine. I think it medtronics pain pump if you would like to look it up, but any way thanks for your thoughts and prayers

michelle
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Options

Pain pump
    Lisa, Angels other pump is the one that looks like a hockey puck that they put directly into the stomach cavity a tube goes around his back and the pain meds are pumped directly into the spine. I think it medtronics pain pump if you would like to look it up, but any way thanks for your thoughts and prayers

michelle

Dilaudid/Fentanyl
    I have a similar pump that was installed during my first operation back in 04. That one, the size of a hockey puck, gave chemo directly to the place in my liver that had inoperable tumors. It worked to get rid of the tumors and I still have the pump in even though it's not being used anymore. It's one of those if they take it out, it can't go back in deals. Back to your topic...I've taken dilaudid in pill form and it helped with pain but if I took too many I had real bad itching.
    Dilaudid is in a group of drugs called narcotic pain relievers, also called opioids. It is similar to morphine.
    I was on IV Morphine in the hospital and it was real bad as far as itching goes. I no longer take dilaudid but I do take a fentanyl pain patch that has helped a lot.

More info on dilaudid here.

Hope the info helps.
    You guys are in my thoughts.
    -p
  • angelsbaby
    Options
    PhillieG said:

Dilaudid/Fentanyl
    I have a similar pump that was installed during my first operation back in 04. That one, the size of a hockey puck, gave chemo directly to the place in my liver that had inoperable tumors. It worked to get rid of the tumors and I still have the pump in even though it's not being used anymore. It's one of those if they take it out, it can't go back in deals. Back to your topic...I've taken dilaudid in pill form and it helped with pain but if I took too many I had real bad itching.
    Dilaudid is in a group of drugs called narcotic pain relievers, also called opioids. It is similar to morphine.
    I was on IV Morphine in the hospital and it was real bad as far as itching goes. I no longer take dilaudid but I do take a fentanyl pain patch that has helped a lot.

Hope the info helps.
    -p

meds
    good article thanks P, itching is one of the side effects for sure just another thing angel has to deal with. poor guy.

michelle
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options
    PhillieG said:

Dilaudid/Fentanyl

Hope the info helps.
    -p

How did you make that link in your post?
    Phil,

How did you make that link in your post on the "more info on dilaudid here"?
    Very cool to be able to do that.
  • angelsbaby
    Options
    lisa42 said:

Phil,

Link
    I thought so to lisa, Some people are so awsome with the computer
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    pain meds and itching
    I'm with Phil, when I take opiate derivatives for any length of time it makes me itch as well. Perhaps increasing his fluid intake will help, although I know he is having problems with keeping fluids in (is he getting IV fluids?). Topical lotions don't really help, since the itching really is coming from inside. I would think Benadryl or such might help. I am sure the Hospice people must be experienced with this side effect, you might want to ask them if they have any suggestions. You think you have a handle on it, then something else comes along. Be strong and know we are all thinking of and praying for Angel and you.
    mary
  • angelsbaby
    Options
    msccolon said:

pain meds and itching
    I'm with Phil, when I take opiate derivatives for any length of time it makes me itch as well. Perhaps increasing his fluid intake will help, although I know he is having problems with keeping fluids in (is he getting IV fluids?). Topical lotions don't really help, since the itching really is coming from inside. I would think Benadryl or such might help. I am sure the Hospice people must be experienced with this side effect, you might want to ask them if they have any suggestions. You think you have a handle on it, then something else comes along. Be strong and know we are all thinking of and praying for Angel and you.
    mary

Itching
    Thanks mary, you are all so awesome. As soon as i have a problem you all respond i just love that. It makes my day bearable.I will tell angel to drink more water. Everyday i go home and tell angel about all the wonderful people out there, he a pvt person i am the out spoken one in this family thats why i am posting and not him but he is ok with that I just love him so, But mary he has been doing good with the vomiting although he did throw up this morning and on friday but that is it , not 10x a day like before . With angel it is hard for me to know from day to day like last night he wakes up and he is moaning (stomach pains) trying to be macho i got up and activated the pain pump and that was that so really form hour to hour things change. So i just try to roll with the punches. I get great strength from everyone who responds to me And i need that . thanks again

michelle
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Options
    lisa42 said:

Phil,

how to make a link

Wow, it's hard to do this because when I write the code, it creates the link.
    I had to make an image then upload it somewhere so you can (hopefully) see it.

Here's
    a good tutorial on it.
    I hope it helps. It's helpful to add these. Images are not hard to do either. There is probably a link to a tutorial on that site.
    Have fun, be well.
    -p

Ah, it looks sloppy. Check out the tutorial.
  • CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375
    Options

Itching
    Thanks mary, you are all so awesome. As soon as i have a problem you all respond i just love that. It makes my day bearable.I will tell angel to drink more water. Everyday i go home and tell angel about all the wonderful people out there, he a pvt person i am the out spoken one in this family thats why i am posting and not him but he is ok with that I just love him so, But mary he has been doing good with the vomiting although he did throw up this morning and on friday but that is it , not 10x a day like before . With angel it is hard for me to know from day to day like last night he wakes up and he is moaning (stomach pains) trying to be macho i got up and activated the pain pump and that was that so really form hour to hour things change. So i just try to roll with the punches. I get great strength from everyone who responds to me And i need that . thanks again

michelle

Strength
    Michelle, I know I've said it before and I'm going to say it again... you are an awesome, awesome strong person and I so admire you, although I can't find the words I mean to say. I know you may not think you are, or you think that you wish you could do more and then you have your moments where you think you just can't bear what the two of you are going through and feel that maybe you are being weak. But dear heart, you have no idea just how many people would have broken and not been able to do what you are doing for the love of your life. Your strength and love comes through so clearly in every single post you write, be it a one liner or a note explaining what is going on, what Angel is doing or what you are doing for him.

I know he is a private person and he probably doesn't really understand this whole support board online with people you've never met.. but he loves you so much that whether he understands the concept or not, he's ok with it because it gives you support/help/answer to your questions. That shows what a kind, understanding and STRONG man he is.

If you could pass a message on to Angel for me... let him know that I feel for him when he is in pain and would do anything to send a magical formula to take that pain away, but when he is not in pain and enjoying you, his family and his bike... then I applaud him and the strength you both have for each other.

Hugggggs and love to both of you!!

Cheryl
  • kmygil
    kmygil Member Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Cumulative
    Hi Michelle,

It is probably the opiates causing the itching. I developed itching on percocet & darvocet which I never had before. I was on oral dilaudid for about 2 months, but did not develop any itching. Dilaudid is one of the strongest pain killers out there, so I quit using it in case it was needed later on. That's when the sensitivity to the "cets" started. Perhaps he can rotate the pain meds?

Hugs,
    Kirsten
  • angelsbaby
    Options

Strength
    Michelle, I know I've said it before and I'm going to say it again... you are an awesome, awesome strong person and I so admire you, although I can't find the words I mean to say. I know you may not think you are, or you think that you wish you could do more and then you have your moments where you think you just can't bear what the two of you are going through and feel that maybe you are being weak. But dear heart, you have no idea just how many people would have broken and not been able to do what you are doing for the love of your life. Your strength and love comes through so clearly in every single post you write, be it a one liner or a note explaining what is going on, what Angel is doing or what you are doing for him.

I know he is a private person and he probably doesn't really understand this whole support board online with people you've never met.. but he loves you so much that whether he understands the concept or not, he's ok with it because it gives you support/help/answer to your questions. That shows what a kind, understanding and STRONG man he is.

If you could pass a message on to Angel for me... let him know that I feel for him when he is in pain and would do anything to send a magical formula to take that pain away, but when he is not in pain and enjoying you, his family and his bike... then I applaud him and the strength you both have for each other.

Hugggggs and love to both of you!!

Cheryl

cheryl
    You are so needed on this board .Your encouraging words help me more then you know.I thank you. I will tell angel too.

michelle
  • angelsbaby
    Options
    kmygil said:

Cumulative
    Hi Michelle,

It is probably the opiates causing the itching. I developed itching on percocet & darvocet which I never had before. I was on oral dilaudid for about 2 months, but did not develop any itching. Dilaudid is one of the strongest pain killers out there, so I quit using it in case it was needed later on. That's when the sensitivity to the "cets" started. Perhaps he can rotate the pain meds?

Hugs,
    Kirsten

Kristen
    I think you are right. he has cut down giving him the xtra doses for break threw pain but then he was in some pain last nite and vomited about 2 am this morning, and he vomited 2x yesterday. I hope we are not starting the vomiting everyday thing, You just don't know how his day will be. thanks Kristen

michelle