Lingering Tenderness

Options
Cindy54
Cindy54 Member Posts: 452
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi Ladies...I have great news...had my mammo and all is well, nothing has changed, and there is no evidence of disease! I feel very, very blessed.

And now for a question. Mind you, I am not complaining at all about this. But I am wondering, how long were things sore or tender for you. I had ductal and lobular, the lumpectomy and 7 weeks of radiation. The surgery was one year ago. I still have the itchies from time to time, but the area is still tender sore if I brush up against it. I am a small breasted person. And yes, I am okay with these little things. I am just wondering if it takes a while for this to go away or is it just a healing process. Thank you all......Cindy

Comments

• mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options
    Hi Cindy
    First, congratulations on your clean mammogram. That is good news, indeed. I also had a lumpectomy about four months ago. I have not yet had radiation. My lumpectomy site is not really sore, but I do have periodic pains and tenderness occasionally. I am not as far out as you, though. Radiation may be the culprit. Did you discuss the soreness when you went in for the mammogram? Best,

Mimi
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Great news Cindy on your
    Great news Cindy on your clean mammogram. Gives us all a reason to celebrate with you. I had a mastectomy in June 2007 and still have tingling (nerve endings) and the occasional pain. I even get pain near the underarm area, which my surgeon said was normal. Too many nerves, muscles, and lymph nodes were removed so I am assuming you may have the same thing. For your own peace of mind ask your oncologist or surgeon. Hugs, Lili
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Options
    I occasionally feel twitches
    I occasionally feel twitches or a pulling feeling at my port site.
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I am tender and sore too but
    I just had my lumpectomy in January 2009 and I am in radiation treatments now. My surgeon said to expect for it to take at least a year for it to be healed, inre to not being sore and tender, if not longer. Just be careful and give it some time. good luck!
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Options
    Kristin N said:

I am tender and sore too but
    I just had my lumpectomy in January 2009 and I am in radiation treatments now. My surgeon said to expect for it to take at least a year for it to be healed, inre to not being sore and tender, if not longer. Just be careful and give it some time. good luck!

tender and sore
    I had surgery december 18th 2007........I'm still in considerable pain now......It is nowhere near as bad as it was, but it hurts enough to be on permanent pain killers.....sorry, but that's how it is. Jxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Ltalcott
    Ltalcott Member Posts: 119
    Options
    tasha_111 said:

tender and sore
    I had surgery december 18th 2007........I'm still in considerable pain now......It is nowhere near as bad as it was, but it hurts enough to be on permanent pain killers.....sorry, but that's how it is. Jxxxxxxxxxxxx

pain killers
    I'm only 4 weeks out of surgery, and I'd rate my pain as a 2-3 out of 10 most of the time. I came home from the hospital with Tylenol 3, but they gave me a fuzzy head and made me constipated.

They switched me to Celebrex, twice a day, which doesn't do anything as far as I can tell, so I just stopped it.

Today I stopped wearing the abdominal binder (I had DIEP reconstruction, so actually most of my pain is in my tummy.) I thought it was the binder that was uncomfortable, but it doesn't really feel much different.

I'm assuming this is just what I will have to go through, huh?

Should I ask for more/better pain killers? Every medication has side effects, so it's a balancing act?

Lisa
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    tasha_111 said:

tender and sore

Did you have a lumpectomy?
    Did you have a lumpectomy? That is odd to still be in pain from a lumpectomy after that long of time. And, to be on pain killers? Have you talked to your doctor about this?
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    OUCH!
    My breasts have ALWAYS been tender~ even prior to cancer. I literally hold my breath and have to practically have my wrists tied together to keep me from smacking the poor Dr when I have a breast exam, and again, this was before cancer. The surgery and rads have not helped that~ to the contrary, my "affected" breast is not just tender, but actually sore. My treatment ended 6 years ago....but I take that pain as a realization that I'm still alive and kicking!

Oh well! Sorry you asked??? LOL Oh yeah HOOOOORAY on your Great News! Yes! Yes! Yes!!

Claudia
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Options
    congratulations !!

that is wonderful news! i am four mo.'s out from surgery and still have tenderness but nothing severe.
    God Bless
    jackie
  • tami90650
    tami90650 Member Posts: 82
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS
    CONGRATULATIONS ON THE CLEAN MAMOGRAM. YAY. I too had lumpectamy, chemo and radiation. My last treatment for radiation was October 2007 and I still get an itch aqnd when I go to scratch it, Its still numb and doesnt feel me scratching the itch. Weird. I also am still sensative in that breast as well. I dont know if it ever completely goes away, but the tenderness slowly is fading. It does get better.