Back from Hospital

Options
2»

Comments

• lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options
    lmliess said:

Question for Lisa42? Or anyone who has had a liver resection...
    I noticed in one of your posts you had liver resection done? I am heading to MD Anderson next week for my mets to be removed by Dr Curley. 2/3 of the liver. I am starting to get anxious. What can I expect afterwards pain wise? Where do they actually go in? Front or back? I am still recovering from the colostomy surgery so I just wanted to get an idea how much this will put me back down?

Any suggestions or advise?

limliess- I responded in the other thread
    Hi,

You probably noticed already (hopefully) that I responded to this in your other thread where you asked about my liver resection.
    Take care-
    Lisa
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Options
    Yea!
    Welcome back. I hope you have a very speedy, easy recovery
    -p
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options
    Thank you all
    Thank you for your warm welcome home and recovery messages. After posting that, I haven't been on the computer much at all.

I'm having a hard time getting any nutrition since I can't seem to eat much without getting full. Think drinking all that water to stop from being dehydrated is causing that. I'm trying to eat but just get too full

Also, it seems like some people go off pain meds pretty quickly after returning home. Wow, I can't do that. I went 8 hours and I was hurting so bad I couldn't even walk so I'm trying not to overdo it and make sure I take it at least every six hours (except at night). I am trying to walk quite a bit too and I know that does help.

I pray for you all.

Hugs! Kim
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

Thank you all
    Thank you for your warm welcome home and recovery messages. After posting that, I haven't been on the computer much at all.

I'm having a hard time getting any nutrition since I can't seem to eat much without getting full. Think drinking all that water to stop from being dehydrated is causing that. I'm trying to eat but just get too full

Also, it seems like some people go off pain meds pretty quickly after returning home. Wow, I can't do that. I went 8 hours and I was hurting so bad I couldn't even walk so I'm trying not to overdo it and make sure I take it at least every six hours (except at night). I am trying to walk quite a bit too and I know that does help.

I pray for you all.

Hugs! Kim

get calories with your water
    by drinking koolaid or gatorade, or some other energy drink. The extra calories in the sugar may be what you need to get that extra boost to better healing. Of course, ensure and it's imitators would be better, lower sugar, but it might be too thick? And of course, if liquids is all you can handle right now, get someone to juice for you! Emily will tell you that's the BEST way to get nutrition in liquid form and lets your intestines and things rest while not depriving your body of the nutrition it desperately needs to heal!
    mary
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    Options

Thank you all

I pray for you all.

Hugs! Kim

Pain meds
    Don't worry about staying on meds. I had a rough time with pain and actually I am still on meds 7 weeks later. The Docs say my problem was radiation more than the surgery...I am just not healing from the burns quickly. And then each time I have chemo or another setback of diarrhea, the bleeding and pain starts again. I am now on a 24/7 Fentynal patch and use Vicodin for breakthrough pain. I did worry about the drugs, but the doctors say I will heal faster if I don't have the stress of the pain.

As for nutrition, your appetite will come back. I finally tried adding pudding and glasses of milk (if you are tolerant) and it helped a lot. But mostly I ate cantaloupe. For me it's the perfect food and has the added benefit of being a natural emend, helping with the nausea as well.

Hang in there. And keep walking. Vicki