U of M study seeks participants for Mediterranean Diet/ colon cancer

Options
dianetavegia
dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I was searching for info on the Mediterranean Diet and found a story regarding a study being done to see how a healthy diet helps prevent colon cancer recurrence. The stats are thought to be around 6%. The University of Michigan is seeking people who have colon cancer for a paid study but you must be able to travel to the university at least 3 times to meet with their nursing staff. The pay is $270.

Click here

Anyhow, I didn't qualify because of distance but they emailed me the 26 page booklet they will be giving all participants. It's quite informative. They suggested I follow the diet on my own since all numbers point to this diet being a great help.

I have saved the booklet and can email it to anyone who'd like. tavegia@bellsouth.net I will not retain your email info for forwards, etc. Also, you can write for your own info / booklet by contacting Mary Rapai mrapai@med.umich.edu

For some reason, Hotmail perceives the booklet as spam and won't accept it. :o(

Eat Healthy!
Diane

Studies have shown that enough Vitamin D (in foods and sunlight) raises colon cancer survival by 39%. Lots of exercise raises survival rates by 55%. Eating healthy (Mediterranean Diet) by 6%.

Comments

• lmliess
    lmliess Member Posts: 329
    Options
    I am interested!
    Hi there - I have a hotmail account but can you try to send to me?

lmcook66@hotmail.com

Thanks!!

Linda
  • dianetavegia
    Options
    lmliess said:

I am interested!
    Hi there - I have a hotmail account but can you try to send to me?

lmcook66@hotmail.com

Thanks!!

Linda

Seems to have gone through
    I hope you got it Linda (and others). Previously one sent to a relative at hotmail came back as spam, but I've not gotten yours back as of today.

Diane

p.s. I really DO have all my front teeth. Not sure why my picture appears to have a missing tooth! EEK
  • SandyL
    SandyL Member Posts: 218
    Options

Seems to have gone through
    I hope you got it Linda (and others). Previously one sent to a relative at hotmail came back as spam, but I've not gotten yours back as of today.

Diane

p.s. I really DO have all my front teeth. Not sure why my picture appears to have a missing tooth! EEK

Mediterranean diet.
    If you would be so kind as to send that info to us; my husband has stage III colon cancer and we would be interested in reading this info. Thanks so much for the kind offer to email

Sandy
    lakelewis@gmail.com
  • JONinAPPLEVALLEY
    JONinAPPLEVALLEY Member Posts: 17
    Options
    I am interested Diane.
    My email address is jon.holmes@sprint.com
  • beachinmom
    beachinmom Member Posts: 73
    Options
    Would love the copy too! Thanks Diane
    Diane--

Thanks for this info. I would love one too.... I am at rhembree8209@yahoo.com
  • dianetavegia
    Options

Would love the copy too! Thanks Diane
    Diane--

Thanks for this info. I would love one too.... I am at rhembree8209@yahoo.com

Sent them this a.m.
    Enjoy!
  • SandyL
    SandyL Member Posts: 218
    Options

Sent them this a.m.
    Enjoy!

Thank you
    Thanks, Diane for sharing this information. I'm very excited to sit and read thru this at my leisure. I told hubby about this and his comment was "If this is a trial in Michigan, how do they know it helps?" No answer for him, but we'll read the info and follow thru. Thanks so much
  • dianetavegia
    Options
    SandyL said:

Thank you
    Thanks, Diane for sharing this information. I'm very excited to sit and read thru this at my leisure. I told hubby about this and his comment was "If this is a trial in Michigan, how do they know it helps?" No answer for him, but we'll read the info and follow thru. Thanks so much

Have hubby
    Have Hubby type in 'colon cancer Mediterranean diet' into his address bar and search. Numerous articles will come up.

Here's one quote about general health and this diet.

9/12/2008 (Reuters) - Sticking strictly to a Mediterranean diet rich in fruits and vegetables offers substantial protection against cancer, heart disease and other major chronic illnesses, Italian researchers said on Friday.

People who did this had a 9 percent drop in death from heart disease, a 13 percent reduction in incidence of Parkinson's and Alzheimer's disease and a 6 percent reduction in cancer compared to those who were not as diligent, their study found.
  • mono5
    mono5 Member Posts: 94
    Options
    Hi Diane,
    I think diet has a lot to do with keeping us in remission and prevent cancer. I would like a copy of that information. My email address is rhstar@hotmail.com Also I have a study that I purchased from Cancer decisions I'm happy to share, that I can email you and anyone else that interested. Its called:

SHOULD PATIENTS UNDERGOING RADIATION
    AND CHEMOTHERAPY TAKE ANTIOXIDANTS?

Its a huge pdf file and answers a lot of questions... You can print it out and share it with your doc...
    Eat healthy and avoid GMO,
    Ron