Breast Prothesis

JoMama54
JoMama54 Member Posts: 78
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have an appointment tomorrow to be fitted for a breast prothesis. Can anyone tell me what to expect and what works the best.
Jomama

Comments

• Wibby
    Wibby Member Posts: 27
    What I experienced
    Hi Jomama,
    I took my best friend with me when I went to be fitted so she could tell me truthfully whether I looked "normal" with my new prosthesis. I also took a slinky black jersey I hoped to wear. The woman who fitted me has been fitting cancer survivors for 20+ years and is a bc survivor herself. That really put me at ease. She took measurements like they would at any bra fitting store (Victoria's Secrets, for one). Then she brought out several mast. bras that she thought would fit and I tried them on. Unfortunately she did not have the prosthesis that I needed on hand, but ordered one for me. It was all done with the utmost dignity and privacy in a special room where she has all the bras and prostheses. I walked away with a bra I could use with my foam prosthesis (ugh) until the "real" one came in a few days later. I actually love my prosthesis and forget that it's there now. When I accidentally bump into someone, it feels very real.
    Good luck on your fitting and I hope you have as much success as I did!
    Warmly,
    Libby
  • JoMama54
    Wibby said:

What I experienced
    Hi Jomama,
    I took my best friend with me when I went to be fitted so she could tell me truthfully whether I looked "normal" with my new prosthesis. I also took a slinky black jersey I hoped to wear. The woman who fitted me has been fitting cancer survivors for 20+ years and is a bc survivor herself. That really put me at ease. She took measurements like they would at any bra fitting store (Victoria's Secrets, for one). Then she brought out several mast. bras that she thought would fit and I tried them on. Unfortunately she did not have the prosthesis that I needed on hand, but ordered one for me. It was all done with the utmost dignity and privacy in a special room where she has all the bras and prostheses. I walked away with a bra I could use with my foam prosthesis (ugh) until the "real" one came in a few days later. I actually love my prosthesis and forget that it's there now. When I accidentally bump into someone, it feels very real.
    Good luck on your fitting and I hope you have as much success as I did!
    Warmly,
    Libby

Thank you Wibby.
    Thank you Wibby for your experience...........cause I really didn't know what to expect. I called my best friend and she is going with me today. I am excited cause I have felt so unconfortable in public............I have noticed stares from people. Maybe now I can feel a little more whole!
    Jomama
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Thanks JoMama....
    I have an appointment myself for the very same thing, late next week. It's time, as I'm also very self-conscious. I find myself looking down at the ground when I'm out in public because I don't want to see how some people look at me. I've told myself from the beginning that I didn't do anything wrong, didn't ask for bc, so why should I feel so embarrassed in public. Doesn't work though. I still hate going out the door.

I have an appt. with a mastectomy "boutique" that my breast surgeon recommended to me. One that she highly endorses, so I am putting a lot of faith in them. And they sounded so friendly on the phone when I called for the appt.....

Anyway, glad you asked, as I really didn't know what to expect either.

Thank you Wibby, for the great info.!

CR
  • redriverartist
    redriverartist Member Posts: 54
    Fitting
    Jomama - I was fitted in December after a modified radical and absolutely love the prosthesis and the bra. In fact, I feel 'funny' when I take it off at night. It looks and feels so natural. Just rely on the expertise of your fitting professional - she'll guide you and make you look and feel great!

Keep us posted.

Blessings and hugs, Teresa
  • Bill.S
    Bill.S Member Posts: 177
    I want one too !!!!!
    Why do they make all of these things for you ladies and none for us guys ???
    My chemo-bald head gets very cold and 1/2 of my chest doesn't match the other 1/2---- what gives ?
    Lets work on some equal rights for male breast cancer survivors. OK ?????
    Luv Ya
    Bill S.
  • JoMama54
    CR1954 said:

Thanks JoMama....
    I have an appointment myself for the very same thing, late next week. It's time, as I'm also very self-conscious. I find myself looking down at the ground when I'm out in public because I don't want to see how some people look at me. I've told myself from the beginning that I didn't do anything wrong, didn't ask for bc, so why should I feel so embarrassed in public. Doesn't work though. I still hate going out the door.

I have an appt. with a mastectomy "boutique" that my breast surgeon recommended to me. One that she highly endorses, so I am putting a lot of faith in them. And they sounded so friendly on the phone when I called for the appt.....

Anyway, glad you asked, as I really didn't know what to expect either.

Thank you Wibby, for the great info.!

CR

New me!
    Well I absolutely love my newly adopted girl!!! It feels like I am almost whole again! I didn't realize what a change it would be. My tops fit again and I look 10 lbs lighter. I took my girlfriend with me and she said she could see a change right away. Thank you all for you comments!! Hugs to all...................... Jo Mama (2 boobs again) YEAH!!!!!
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Bill.S said:

I want one too !!!!!
    Why do they make all of these things for you ladies and none for us guys ???
    My chemo-bald head gets very cold and 1/2 of my chest doesn't match the other 1/2---- what gives ?
    Lets work on some equal rights for male breast cancer survivors. OK ?????
    Luv Ya
    Bill S.

LOL Bill, so glad you are
    LOL Bill, so glad you are back with your humor. Now we have Julia's and your posts to look forward to every day. I think you should look into the recon thing so that you don't feel left out. LOL. Hugs, Lili

PS. Eat small meals more often to help you gain that weight back. L
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    JoMama54 said:

New me!
    Well I absolutely love my newly adopted girl!!! It feels like I am almost whole again! I didn't realize what a change it would be. My tops fit again and I look 10 lbs lighter. I took my girlfriend with me and she said she could see a change right away. Thank you all for you comments!! Hugs to all...................... Jo Mama (2 boobs again) YEAH!!!!!

Jomama, I meant to post to
    Jomama, I meant to post to you a few times, and every time I was getting ready to write my mind went blank. I am so glad you went and got fitted. It does make a big difference. I am happy to say that now I don't need the prosthesis anymore since I had reconstruction, but I remember feeling so much better when I got mine also. At least, it wasn't so noticeable on the outside and didn't make me feel so self conscious. Hugs to you, Lili
  • Bill.S

LOL Bill, so glad you are
    LOL Bill, so glad you are back with your humor. Now we have Julia's and your posts to look forward to every day. I think you should look into the recon thing so that you don't feel left out. LOL. Hugs, Lili

PS. Eat small meals more often to help you gain that weight back. L

What to do after surgery and chemo is over
    I am sitting here watching my hair grow. Doesn't sound very exciting but at least my head will warm up----- and I live in SW Florida !
    Bill S.
  • chili
    chili Member Posts: 32
    Fitted yesterday
    Wish I had seen this sooner - I wouldn't have been so apprehensive. I got fitted yesterday - and it was the same experience you had. My daughter came in the room and just said "WOW". I guess it looks real. Today will be my first day wearing it - we'll see what people say, my friends have commented on how lop-sided I am ( I've asked for honesty and I get it). Now you can't tell. I know I'm paranoid and think everyone is staring at my chest - wait they really are! Have a great day.
  • JoMama54
    chili said:

Fitted yesterday
    Wish I had seen this sooner - I wouldn't have been so apprehensive. I got fitted yesterday - and it was the same experience you had. My daughter came in the room and just said "WOW". I guess it looks real. Today will be my first day wearing it - we'll see what people say, my friends have commented on how lop-sided I am ( I've asked for honesty and I get it). Now you can't tell. I know I'm paranoid and think everyone is staring at my chest - wait they really are! Have a great day.

Made all the difference!
    Chili,
    I wished I had done it sooner too. But because of medical bills I couldn't afford it. It had made all the difference in the world to me. Thank you for your comment. You have a great day with your new girl too!! Hugs Jomama
  • JoMama54
    Bill.S said:

What to do after surgery and chemo is over
    I am sitting here watching my hair grow. Doesn't sound very exciting but at least my head will warm up----- and I live in SW Florida !
    Bill S.

Hey Bill
    I could help you with some hair, luckily I still have mine and going for a haircut tomorrow.
    Hang in there and have a great day. Thank you for the comments!
    Jomama
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    JoMama54 said:

Made all the difference!
    Chili,
    I wished I had done it sooner too. But because of medical bills I couldn't afford it. It had made all the difference in the world to me. Thank you for your comment. You have a great day with your new girl too!! Hugs Jomama

Falsie's'
    Hey... Purolator (Canadian version of Parcel Farce) left a package on my doorstep last week......I was delighted to fing a foamy falsie, I stuck it in position and it was pointed and way too prominent (Yes I looked like a sign-post) Sooooooo I dug in and took some of the stuffing out, then I noticed it rode up every 2 minutes, so I took MORE stuffing out, Then it rode up even quicker....Oh Heck, I'm going to get a condom filled with water ..no whisky would be better. Bill, you want it? Hugs to you all Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • JoMama54
    tasha_111 said:

Falsie's'
    Hey... Purolator (Canadian version of Parcel Farce) left a package on my doorstep last week......I was delighted to fing a foamy falsie, I stuck it in position and it was pointed and way too prominent (Yes I looked like a sign-post) Sooooooo I dug in and took some of the stuffing out, then I noticed it rode up every 2 minutes, so I took MORE stuffing out, Then it rode up even quicker....Oh Heck, I'm going to get a condom filled with water ..no whisky would be better. Bill, you want it? Hugs to you all Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

LMAO
    Oh tasha_111..................you are too funny. I tried making my own and they all rode up. I even thought of getting some suspender clips with elastic and clip 1 to my bra and 1 to my pants but this new silicone boobie is doing the trick, even though I justa bout died when I was at my fitting and she pulled out this hugh one. But when she got it in place it matched much to my surprise.
    Hug to you............keep up with your funnies I love it!!!
    JoMama
  • chetra
    chetra Member Posts: 17
    JoMama54 said:

LMAO
    Oh tasha_111..................you are too funny. I tried making my own and they all rode up. I even thought of getting some suspender clips with elastic and clip 1 to my bra and 1 to my pants but this new silicone boobie is doing the trick, even though I justa bout died when I was at my fitting and she pulled out this hugh one. But when she got it in place it matched much to my surprise.
    Hug to you............keep up with your funnies I love it!!!
    JoMama

LOL
    When I went and got fitted it was the high point of all this. I to had a terrific shop to go to. They did a great job. But the cost was hard to take. But now I have gained 50 + pounds thanks to tamoxefin. And yes you know what happens LOL the falsie doesnt grow with the other side LOL so not even again. But going to hold out tell Jan 10 and medicare will kick in and pay 80% for falsie and 2 bras.Every 2 yrs. I was put on Social Security Disabilty but have to wait 2 yrs for medicare.
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    chetra said:

LOL
    When I went and got fitted it was the high point of all this. I to had a terrific shop to go to. They did a great job. But the cost was hard to take. But now I have gained 50 + pounds thanks to tamoxefin. And yes you know what happens LOL the falsie doesnt grow with the other side LOL so not even again. But going to hold out tell Jan 10 and medicare will kick in and pay 80% for falsie and 2 bras.Every 2 yrs. I was put on Social Security Disabilty but have to wait 2 yrs for medicare.

Falsies
    It was OK in the winter, apart from not wanting to go out in them vile temperatures, I sort of fitted in with clothing that was a cross between: Nanook of the North/ The Michelin Man and Sherpa Tensing... nobody could see that I was missing vital parts. BUT with the summer coming I really don't think it would go so unnoticed if I went to do the grocery shopping in a huge waterproof parka. I guess I'll go back to the pair of socks and 2 bandanas that I wore before. Oh well. I still like the idea of a condom filled with hard liquor..... If it burst in public, at least I could get lagged-up and not give a damn! LOL Hugs to all Jxxxxxxx
  • Bill.S
    tasha_111 said:

Falsies
    It was OK in the winter, apart from not wanting to go out in them vile temperatures, I sort of fitted in with clothing that was a cross between: Nanook of the North/ The Michelin Man and Sherpa Tensing... nobody could see that I was missing vital parts. BUT with the summer coming I really don't think it would go so unnoticed if I went to do the grocery shopping in a huge waterproof parka. I guess I'll go back to the pair of socks and 2 bandanas that I wore before. Oh well. I still like the idea of a condom filled with hard liquor..... If it burst in public, at least I could get lagged-up and not give a damn! LOL Hugs to all Jxxxxxxx

Hard Liquor
    Would be possible to run a hose into a straw so you could have a little sip of the good stuff once in a while? Of course that would make the condom smaller but by the time you drained it you would be feeling no pain and wouldn't give a darn about what people thought about your lopsided look.
    Should it be filled with Scotch, Burbon, Tequilla, ??????????????
    Be sure to double stack the condoms to prevent possible leaks or rupture.
    Luv
    Bill S.