Radiation

Options
Kristin N
Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Has anyone else had radiation on both breasts at separate times? I had radiation on one breast years ago and now am having it on the other breast.

Comments

• Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Options
    Yes
    Kristin..I have. Are you done with your 2nd treatment yet? I would like to know. I am still doing radiation the second time...got aways to go yet. :(
  • Kristin N
    Options
    Jeanne D said:

Yes
    Kristin..I have. Are you done with your 2nd treatment yet? I would like to know. I am still doing radiation the second time...got aways to go yet. :(

Bras
    I bought a couple of bras today to wear temporarily while I was taking radiation. They told me to not wear one, but, my boobs are kind of big and I am kind of embarassed not to. I know when I get further into the radiation, I won't even want to. Anyone else have any ideas on bras during radiation? This one bra has Vitamin E and Aloe infused into the fabric to aid in healing and comfort. I had never heard of such a thing. But, it does feel good on.
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Kristin N said:

Bras
    I bought a couple of bras today to wear temporarily while I was taking radiation. They told me to not wear one, but, my boobs are kind of big and I am kind of embarassed not to. I know when I get further into the radiation, I won't even want to. Anyone else have any ideas on bras during radiation? This one bra has Vitamin E and Aloe infused into the fabric to aid in healing and comfort. I had never heard of such a thing. But, it does feel good on.

Kristin, I didn't have to
    Kristin, I didn't have to have radiation because I opted for a mastectomy, but my niece who had radiation, wore cotton camis instead of bras. They are much softer and are not binding. Hope this helps, Lili
  • Kristin N
    Options

Kristin, I didn't have to have radiation because I opted for a mastectomy, but my niece who had radiation, wore cotton camis instead of bras. They are much softer and are not binding. Hope this helps, Lili

Thank you MMontero!
    I just bought the bras today and the one is already hurting, so, I guess it wasn't a good idea. Live and Learn I guess. I don't know if I will wear them now. Darn it. I think I will look into the cotton camis that your niece wore. Thank you so much for the info. You are a beautiful woman! HUGSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS to you!
  • Kristin N
    Options

Tamoxifen side effects
    You mentioned on your page that you were on tamoxifen. I am to go on it too for 5 years after I am done with my radiation. Is it really bad? The hot flashes and the weight gain? How often do you have hot flashes and how much weight did you gain? And, why did you gain it? I have so many questions about it and worried too I guess. Thanks!
  • EveningStar2
    EveningStar2 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Kristin N said:

Thank you MMontero!
    I just bought the bras today and the one is already hurting, so, I guess it wasn't a good idea. Live and Learn I guess. I don't know if I will wear them now. Darn it. I think I will look into the cotton camis that your niece wore. Thank you so much for the info. You are a beautiful woman! HUGSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS to you!

suggestion

I'm also going through radiation and am "well endowed". I have some cotton bras from WalMart and there are only 6 dollars or so. You can get them in front closure and *without* underwires. They work pretty well for me.

Maureen
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Kristin N said:

Tamoxifen side effects
    You mentioned on your page that you were on tamoxifen. I am to go on it too for 5 years after I am done with my radiation. Is it really bad? The hot flashes and the weight gain? How often do you have hot flashes and how much weight did you gain? And, why did you gain it? I have so many questions about it and worried too I guess. Thanks!

I've been on the tamoxifen
    I've been on the tamoxifen since January 2008. I gained weight during chemo and continued to gain weight until I literally counted every morsel that went into my mouth. I haven't gone to weight watchers in 2 weeks so I'll see tomorrow if I've lost any weight. I also work out 5 days a week and am struggling to lose the weight. I gained 40 lbs total and since being on weight watchers, I haven't gained any more weight, but then again, I've only lost 4 lbs in 4 months. So, the weight loss is a struggle. My primary care said that it may take until I'm off the meds for the weight to totally come off, but in the meantime, I'll be a healthy chubby. My cholesterol dropped so I am now at 189, I eat healthy, lots of vegetables, fruits and fish, I exercise, so I'm doing all the right things. The other side effect I've experienced is joint and muscle pain. My calf muscle in both legs have cramped up and I am doing physical therapy since last May for that and my middle finger on my left hand is kind of stiff, so I started taking glucosamine which the primary recommended and I'm hoping this alleviates this problem. I haven't experienced the hair thinning yet and I'm hoping it doesn't happen. I must stress that not everyone has the same symptoms or results so you may start tamoxifen and not experience any of these side effects. So, don't expect to experience them. The hot flashes are just that. You're fine and then all of a sudden, your feel the heat coming up from your groin all the way to the top of your head. I tend to have them about 1/2 hour after I eat and sometimes if the room is a little warm, it will cause me to have one. In the summer, I keep the air conditioner at all times and I have a ceiling fan in my bedroom which helps circulate the air and it helps keep me cooler. I hope I've answered your questions, and Kristin, like I said before, not every one has the same experience. You also have to look at the fact that it may prevent you from developing breast cancer again, so to me it was a no brainer. If you want further information you can private message me here at this site. Hugs, Lili
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    Kristin N said:

Bras

I found a lot of cami type
    I found a lot of cami type tops with a built in "shelf" for the bra. It is softer and easier on the burn and still holds you in. You may want to use a silkier type cloth when you get to be "medium rare". Not much helps, but when you are still out and about, it helps to have some lift, as the skin doesn't like to lay against itself either. Hope this helps!
  • Kristin N
    Options

suggestion

I'm also going through radiation and am "well endowed". I have some cotton bras from WalMart and there are only 6 dollars or so. You can get them in front closure and *without* underwires. They work pretty well for me.

Maureen

Thank you..I will look for
    Thank you..I will look for them at WalMart cause I really do need something. HUGS!
  • Kristin N
    Options

I've been on the tamoxifen
    I've been on the tamoxifen since January 2008. I gained weight during chemo and continued to gain weight until I literally counted every morsel that went into my mouth. I haven't gone to weight watchers in 2 weeks so I'll see tomorrow if I've lost any weight. I also work out 5 days a week and am struggling to lose the weight. I gained 40 lbs total and since being on weight watchers, I haven't gained any more weight, but then again, I've only lost 4 lbs in 4 months. So, the weight loss is a struggle. My primary care said that it may take until I'm off the meds for the weight to totally come off, but in the meantime, I'll be a healthy chubby. My cholesterol dropped so I am now at 189, I eat healthy, lots of vegetables, fruits and fish, I exercise, so I'm doing all the right things. The other side effect I've experienced is joint and muscle pain. My calf muscle in both legs have cramped up and I am doing physical therapy since last May for that and my middle finger on my left hand is kind of stiff, so I started taking glucosamine which the primary recommended and I'm hoping this alleviates this problem. I haven't experienced the hair thinning yet and I'm hoping it doesn't happen. I must stress that not everyone has the same symptoms or results so you may start tamoxifen and not experience any of these side effects. So, don't expect to experience them. The hot flashes are just that. You're fine and then all of a sudden, your feel the heat coming up from your groin all the way to the top of your head. I tend to have them about 1/2 hour after I eat and sometimes if the room is a little warm, it will cause me to have one. In the summer, I keep the air conditioner at all times and I have a ceiling fan in my bedroom which helps circulate the air and it helps keep me cooler. I hope I've answered your questions, and Kristin, like I said before, not every one has the same experience. You also have to look at the fact that it may prevent you from developing breast cancer again, so to me it was a no brainer. If you want further information you can private message me here at this site. Hugs, Lili

Lili
    You are the sweetest woman and a beautiful one too! Thank you for all of that info. I truly appreciate it. Cancer is so scary and then after I finish radiation, I have to start tamoxifen and I have no idea of what it might do to me inre to side effects. Thank you so much! I just want to know all of the info that I can about it.
  • Kristin N
    Options
    cats_toy said:

I found a lot of cami type
    I found a lot of cami type tops with a built in "shelf" for the bra. It is softer and easier on the burn and still holds you in. You may want to use a silkier type cloth when you get to be "medium rare". Not much helps, but when you are still out and about, it helps to have some lift, as the skin doesn't like to lay against itself either. Hope this helps!

Yes, your reply does help.
    Yes, your reply does help. Thank you so much! I will look for them. You didn't say at what store, but, I am sure lots have them. I need to look. You are a sweetie..thanks!
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    Kristin N said:

Yes, your reply does help.
    Yes, your reply does help. Thank you so much! I will look for them. You didn't say at what store, but, I am sure lots have them. I need to look. You are a sweetie..thanks!

cami tops
    funny, I found a lot of them at the thrift store, figured I would need one for every day, so I thought I would get the most variety that way. a lot of different styles for less money too. Good luck searching!
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Options
    cuddle duds
    i hope they still make them. i still have a couple of cuddle duds just because i loved them. i got them at jc penneys and they are the absolute in softness!! i plan on wearing the couple i have and searching for more when i do rads (soon) google this and let me know. I know you would love them
    jackie
  • Kristin N
    Options
    rjjj said:

cuddle duds
    i hope they still make them. i still have a couple of cuddle duds just because i loved them. i got them at jc penneys and they are the absolute in softness!! i plan on wearing the couple i have and searching for more when i do rads (soon) google this and let me know. I know you would love them
    jackie

Cuddle Duds? lol Cute
    Cuddle Duds? lol Cute name. I will certainly google it and see what I find and/or go to the Penney's website and see if they are on there. Thanks Jackie!

I wish I would hear from someone who has had radiation on both breasts. Am I the only one?
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    Options
    Kristin N said:

Cuddle Duds? lol Cute
    Cuddle Duds? lol Cute name. I will certainly google it and see what I find and/or go to the Penney's website and see if they are on there. Thanks Jackie!

I wish I would hear from someone who has had radiation on both breasts. Am I the only one?

There is a camisol that you
    There is a camisol that you can get at Walmart, called Sweet Nothings (manufactured as a division of Maindenform). They are soft material, firmly fitted, but no wires. They have long, extend down to about your mid hips, and have room for an insert in the bra area. Because there are no seams to irritate your breast area, they are the most comfortable support I have found. When first out of surgey, I wore my husband's cotten t-shirts (the ones with no arms). They were adequate, but with the Sweet Nothings I can wear regular clothing and not feel exposed at all. Just a thought. Hugs,

Judy
  • Kristin N
    Options

There is a camisol that you
    There is a camisol that you can get at Walmart, called Sweet Nothings (manufactured as a division of Maindenform). They are soft material, firmly fitted, but no wires. They have long, extend down to about your mid hips, and have room for an insert in the bra area. Because there are no seams to irritate your breast area, they are the most comfortable support I have found. When first out of surgey, I wore my husband's cotten t-shirts (the ones with no arms). They were adequate, but with the Sweet Nothings I can wear regular clothing and not feel exposed at all. Just a thought. Hugs,

Judy

Sweet nothings..ok I will
    Sweet nothings..ok I will go to Walmart and look for them. I just need something and the bras I bought yesterday hurt. Dumb me for buying them..oh well I just wanted some support and not to feel so exposed. OK..NOONE has ever had radiation on both breasts? I wish someone could reply to that. I would like to know what to expect. Thanks all!
  • Ltalcott
    Ltalcott Member Posts: 119
    Options
    Kristin N said:

Cuddle Duds? lol Cute

Cuddle Duds
    I love these. I get cold easily, and a long sleeved top under a regular blouse was perfect. I have the bottoms too, but it doesn't get that cold here in Texas.

I'm not going to be doing radiation, so I won't need them for that. I do know they have sleeveless V-neck tops.

Lisa
  • Kristin N
    Options
    Thanks for all of the
    Thanks for all of the clothing recommendations. I am getting a lil red now, but, it doesn't feel too bad. Just can't stand anything close to it.
  • Linda_Dippold
    Linda_Dippold Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Getting getting lumpectony surgery date tomorrow. How soon after surgery do you start radiation? How long in general is the radiation treatment? I understand it's five days a week. Sounds like a new job without getting paid. Guess, my job is to survivie.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. Took down about the camisole and Cuddle Duds.