sleep changes

tommaseena
tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have found that for 3-4 days after my treatment that I only sleep 5-6 hours at night and have so much energy during the day. I see where a lot of ladies are tired and need to rest more and take naps.

I don't understand why my body is reacting this way. If I go to bed at 8pm I am wide awake at 2am. I am still able to work all day at my job and may get a small wave of tiredness in the afternoon of day 2 following chemo but it only lasts like 30 mins and then I am wide awake.

Yesterday morning I was up at 2:15 did wash and cleaned the house all before 8am. I did go to bed at 8pm and slept last night until 4:15 this morning (that is my norm on regular days).

I would like to know if anyone else has had this happen to them.

Margo

Comments

• Derbygirl
    Derbygirl Member Posts: 198
    My sleep habits were
    My sleep habits were disrupted from the day I was diagnosed with breast cancer in June 2008. I finished chemo and radiation 3 months ago and it's about the same. I fall asleep easily but wake up after a few hours. I also work full time and get tired during the day. Sometimes I take a Benadryl at bedtime which is not habit forming. I learned to live with the new me by taking a power nap at the end of the work day or whenever I feel like it on the weekend. Seems like I've read about others having similar problems. Hopefully this will pass.
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Sleep through the night???? What a thought!!!!
    I had this problem also Margo. I don't know if it was a reaction to one of the chemo meds or to the steroids they gave me for the nausea. I suspect it was my reaction to the steroids. Some get sleepy and others are wired tight. I was wired. LOL. So, I learned to rest when I was tired and just did my work around the house when I had the energy. I haven't slept through the night since I was diagnosed, and now with driving teens I don't get much rest either. LOL. So, I guess it will take me a little longer to be able to sleep through the night. So, just go with the flow and rest when you are tired. Hugs, Lili
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Margo
    I think it is pretty common not to sleep good the first few days after chemo. I think with me it is the steroids given before chemo. I use this time to get a few things done...as i am sure to be extremely tired in the days following.

It is also that you have so much on your mind, and it is hard to shut it down. I find reading or watching movies helps me to relax and become drowsy.

You also need your rest, I have found zanax or Ativan also helps with anxiety and sleep. Did your Dr. give you a prescription for something?

All my best to you and may we all have peaceful sleep and sweet dreams.

God Bless,
    Jackie
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    I haven't had chemo, but, I
    I haven't had chemo, but, I know I am getting tired already with the radiation treatments. I got a sleeping pill from my primary doctor to help me sleep at night. It works pretty well. Wishing you the best Margo!
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    It's the steriods and/or anxiety
    I have that wired feeling, too, the days when I am taking the steriods. It may be lasting longer for you. Also, as others have said, your adrenaline could be heightened if you are experiencing a lot of anxiety about your diagnosis. When I was first diagnosed, I did not sleep for 3 days. I was wide awake, not tired at all, went to work full time, and spent all night reading books. I was experiencing a fight or flight response, I think. Eventually, I crashed. Xanax has really helped me sleep through the night without anxiety. Hope you find a solution!

Mimi
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    mimivac said:

It's the steriods and/or anxiety
    I have that wired feeling, too, the days when I am taking the steriods. It may be lasting longer for you. Also, as others have said, your adrenaline could be heightened if you are experiencing a lot of anxiety about your diagnosis. When I was first diagnosed, I did not sleep for 3 days. I was wide awake, not tired at all, went to work full time, and spent all night reading books. I was experiencing a fight or flight response, I think. Eventually, I crashed. Xanax has really helped me sleep through the night without anxiety. Hope you find a solution!

Mimi

benedryl

I have found that if I take a benedryl tablet right before I go to bed it helps me "drift off" sooner ... with less tossing and turning and stewing over life in general.

hugs.
    teena