port removal question.

Denise1966
Denise1966 Member Posts: 90
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi all, hope everyone's having a decent weekend!
Now that I'm finished with chemo and my CT scan came back clean, I called my surgeon and he will do my colonoscopy in June. They told me I could have my port removed whenever I wanted and since everytime I see it I feel kind of depressed, I decided to do it right away and I'm doing it this monday....does it hurt? will I be sore? will they knock me out?
Thanks in advance....
Hugs,
Denise

Comments

• usakat
    usakat Member Posts: 610 Member
    Congratulations Denise!
    Glad you are in the all clear!

Having my port removed was about the same pain-wise as it was when it was put in...not bad at all. I was put out for it going in, but did a local and stayed awake when it was removed. The worst part of having it removed was getting the shots for the pain block, but once I was numbed up, it was no big deal. It healed quickly. For me, having my port removed was like the epilogue of an epic tale...it was the final scene of my colon cancer fight. For me it felt very empowering, especially when the wound healed.

Wishing you many blessings for good health and happiness!

Katie
  • nanagrandma
    nanagrandma Member Posts: 40
    port removal
    When I had my port removed they did the same they did when they put it in. Don't know what the stuff was that they put in the iv but it made me feel real good and I didn't feel a thing. God luck with yours.
  • dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    My surgeon has said
    My surgeon said he does the port removal in his office under local.

Congrats on reaching this milestone! God is good! Wishing you only good reports and big smiles!

Diane
  • CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375
    Port Removal
    When I had my port removed, it was literally no big deal. I went in to a surgeon's office which was set up for a surgical day-clinic. I was not put to sleep, but given a local. The whole procedure from the time I lay on the table and the surgeon walked in to the time he said, "Ok, you can go now" was about 30 mins. The worst part of it? As he was getting started I remember thinking, "Darn! I wish I had gone and used the little girl's room before coming in!" ;) If there is a next time, I will remember to make sure I've gone before I get changed and head to the surgery room ;)

Pain? I don't recall there being much discomfort at all afterwards. Mind you, the reason I was getting it taken out is because if felt like it was rubbing on my collarbone and my shoulder/arm ached... so it was a real relief just to get it out.

Don't worry... it's a piece of cake getting it out. And if you do have some discomfort afterwards, chances are a little ibuprofen or mild pain reliever will do the trick.

Hugggggs,

Cheryl

PS: Congratulations for being over this part of your journey!!
  • bigCrandy
    bigCrandy Member Posts: 75
    piece of cake
    hi, I had my first port removed after my first round of chemo because it was plugged. the doctor who put it in did it in his office at my request. He used a local at the port site and talked to me as he pulled it out, didn't feel a thing. Took maybe 25 to 30 minutes. It was a whole lot easier than when they put it in. Best Wishes, hang in there.
  • Madre
    Madre Member Posts: 123
    Happy Day for you
    Isn't it wonderful when they say you can get the port out! You have survived the worst of it, port removal is a walk in the park in comparrison. When I had mine put in they gve me concious sedation, groggy but awake and numb. Taking it out they just used lidocain injections all around the port (the first needle hurt more than the port removal). She told me when they insert the port they "build" it inside, when they remove it, they just cut a few internal stiches and out it comes. They put pressure on the vien, just like when you have blood drawn, and that's it. Later that night it felt weird when the lidocain wore off. Kind of like when you go to the dentist for a filling. Mine has been out since November, and it itches every once in a while, but I keep putting shea butter on it. Good luck to you and YEH your all done with chemo!!! Enjoy Spring.
  • kmygil
    kmygil Member Posts: 876 Member
    Port removal
    Hi Denise.

Congratulations on getting your "alien" out! (Yeah, I called mine the Alien, albeit a benign alien.) When I got mine out, they did it under local & it took about 15 minutes. I was awake the whole time & drove myself out of there & went shopping. My doc said it was a lot easier to get it out than to put it in. So no fears!

Hugs,
    Kirsten
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    kmygil said:

Port removal
    Hi Denise.

Congratulations on getting your "alien" out! (Yeah, I called mine the Alien, albeit a benign alien.) When I got mine out, they did it under local & it took about 15 minutes. I was awake the whole time & drove myself out of there & went shopping. My doc said it was a lot easier to get it out than to put it in. So no fears!

Hugs,
    Kirsten

Part of the family
    I've had mine for so long it's part of the family. Plus it is sill in use
  • kristasplace
    kristasplace Member Posts: 957 Member
    the flying saucer
    Hello, and congrats on having your port removed! I jumped up and down for joy when my doc said we might as well take it out! I had it removed while i was supposed to have a takedown. The takedown didn't happen, but she took the port anyway. That was in February, and even though it didn't hurt much afterwards, the wound still itches and aches. It reminded me that it used to itch for months after they put it in, so maybe i'm just a slow healer. I think you're going to LOVE not having it anymore. Like Katie said, it's signaling the end of an epic journey. Even though it may not be the complete end to the journey, it's a good bet it's the end of the chemo!!

Many hugs,
    Krista