First "mop up" week done!

VickiCO
VickiCO Member Posts: 917
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Well, I made it. We had quite a week here. It started out in the 70's, ended in a Blizzard. They actually decided to cancel my 5th visit because of the storm, but then it passed quicker than expected and they called me in anyway.

The early part of the week was fine - just tired. I had some bowel issues because of the Fentynal, but MiraLax is helping. Then about Thursday I started to notice the changes. I had the shakes, all the familiar feelings, etc. Quite a bit of nausea this time which was different. But overall, a very mild week compared to before. The nurses tell me that the next few days may catch up to me, but so far so good, and now I don't have to go back for 3 weeks!

Thanks for all of the encouragement. I know my story is more positive than a lot of yours, but I still have those late night worries and what-ifs, you know? Until I get my scans later this year, and they come back clear, I don't think I'll relax.

Many hugs to you all! Vicki

Comments

• dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    Glad to hear this!
    I'm so happy to hear this week went okay and know you'll enjoy the time off! Praying this mop up is a forever done with clean-up and that you remain NED forever and a day!
  • maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member

Glad to hear this!
    I'm so happy to hear this week went okay and know you'll enjoy the time off! Praying this mop up is a forever done with clean-up and that you remain NED forever and a day!

good girl
    awww 70 degrees that is just a dream....30 here today. So that's good Vicki you got the first round done. I did several months of the 5FU 5 day on bolus and i found it really hard. I am glad the first batch went relatively smoothly

thinking about you

Mags
  • dixchi
    dixchi Member Posts: 431
    Quilt Novels
    Am very happy for you that the first week is over; light is
    getting brighter at the end of the tunnel.

Wanted to pass on to you some info about a series of novels
    focused on quilters since you edit a quilting magazine.
    Jennifer Chiaverini has written them; she was a guest writer
    recently at one of our bookstores and even tho I am not a
    quilter I appreciate them and was intrigued by her novels.
    "The Winding Way Quilt", "The Runaway Quilt", "The Sugar
    Camp Quilt" are a few......Chiaverini's family lives in
    Cincinnati. Once upon a time flour and other commodities
    used to come in what they called "croker sacks" which were
    colorful prints and people used to make piece quilts out of
    them.....wow, that goes back to the 1940s and earlier and
    was a rural practice.

Barbara
  • VickiCO
    dixchi said:

Quilt Novels
    Am very happy for you that the first week is over; light is
    getting brighter at the end of the tunnel.

Wanted to pass on to you some info about a series of novels
    focused on quilters since you edit a quilting magazine.
    Jennifer Chiaverini has written them; she was a guest writer
    recently at one of our bookstores and even tho I am not a
    quilter I appreciate them and was intrigued by her novels.
    "The Winding Way Quilt", "The Runaway Quilt", "The Sugar
    Camp Quilt" are a few......Chiaverini's family lives in
    Cincinnati. Once upon a time flour and other commodities
    used to come in what they called "croker sacks" which were
    colorful prints and people used to make piece quilts out of
    them.....wow, that goes back to the 1940s and earlier and
    was a rural practice.

Barbara

Thanks Barbara
    Yes, I have read all of Jennifer's books. They are well-written and very popular with quilters! I myself have made 'flour sack' quilts. The 30's were the heaviest use of them, not only for quilts, but clothing. The sack manufacturer's actually printed designs for the housewives, and it was another way of saving money. They are heavily bought and sold today on e-bay & other sites.

Thanks again...Vicki
  • maglets
    I love those quilts
    sorry to jump in here but I love those sack quilts....I am nuts about the teeny little patterns and those 30's and 40's colours.....

they are my all time fav.....I'll haven't read the books though

Vicki I would love to see a pic of you in an Easter!! bonnet:):):)

Thanks
    Mags
  • VickiCO
    maglets said:

I love those quilts
    sorry to jump in here but I love those sack quilts....I am nuts about the teeny little patterns and those 30's and 40's colours.....

they are my all time fav.....I'll haven't read the books though

Vicki I would love to see a pic of you in an Easter!! bonnet:):):)

Thanks
    Mags

Not gonna happen! LOL!
    I do have to update my photo...but hats?? Not me!

Vicki
  • maglets
    VickiCO said:

Not gonna happen! LOL!
    I do have to update my photo...but hats?? Not me!

Vicki

quilt
    imagequilt

Hi vicki....here I am laying out one of the feed sack quilts I did last winter. Some of the prints are new re=pros and some are just collected from garage sales. The gal at the quilting store told me this green was called Nile Green and it became so popular it just became know as "That" green.

~Mags~
  • VickiCO
    maglets said:

quilt
    imagequilt

Hi vicki....here I am laying out one of the feed sack quilts I did last winter. Some of the prints are new re=pros and some are just collected from garage sales. The gal at the quilting store told me this green was called Nile Green and it became so popular it just became know as "That" green.

~Mags~

thanks!
    I have a Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt from the 1930's made from "That" Green! I didn't know until I had it documented by the State of Colorado Quilt Guild...it was very exciting.

This is a nice side trip! Vicki
  • usakat
    usakat Member Posts: 610 Member
    Survivor!
    Hi Vicki ~

Glad you are doing well...at least enduring well. And your spirits sound good. It's always so great to get one step/one treatment cycle closer to better health. You'll make it!

Keeping you in my best thoughts and prayers!

Stay warm....Katie
  • CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375
    maglets said:

quilt
    imagequilt

~Mags~

Beautiful!
    That is so beautiful, Maggie!! I love crafts of all sorts, but have I settled down and actually started any in the last umpteen years??? :) Quilting is something I would love to do one day, but I'm thinking you sort of need an area where you can spread your stuff out. Something tells me my little kitchen table wouldn't quite do the trick.

But what a lovely idea!!

Hugggggs,

Cheryl
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    HI Vicki,
    Glad you're making

HI Vicki,

Glad you're making through this treatment all right. Sorry you've had more nausea.

Mags- what a beautiful quilt- I'm envious- I'm not very talented craft-wise, myself.
  • dixchi
    dixchi Member Posts: 431
    lisa42 said:

HI Vicki,
    Glad you're making

HI Vicki,

Glad you're making through this treatment all right. Sorry you've had more nausea.

Mags- what a beautiful quilt- I'm envious- I'm not very talented craft-wise, myself.

Beautiful Quilt
    That is a gorgeous quilt, Mags. Love to see them; always see the
    quilt exhibit at the state fair, etc. but am all thumbs when it
    comes to sewing.

Barbara
  • VickiCO
    lisa42 said:

HI Vicki,
    Glad you're making

HI Vicki,

Boy Howdy!
    as they say in Minnesota! The nurses were right...it all caught up yesterday afternoon. This is the first time in all this journey that my head was in the toilet as much as my bum! The meds didn't seem to touch it for some reason. I am a bit better this morning, but I have been up all night running from one end or the other. But I am tough, and I will overcome! LOL Tea and cantaloupe seem to help now.

Quilting, or any hobby, is such a blessing I think. I can re-focus my thoughts and wrap my head around something else for a while! One of the hardest things right now is NOT being able to attend the major quilt conventions. (There is one in NH in a couple of weeks.) I'll miss the inspiration, the friendships and, of course, the quilts!

thanks for the notes. Just one more step toward NED! Vicki
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    VickiCO said:

Boy Howdy!
    as they say in Minnesota! The nurses were right...it all caught up yesterday afternoon. This is the first time in all this journey that my head was in the toilet as much as my bum! The meds didn't seem to touch it for some reason. I am a bit better this morning, but I have been up all night running from one end or the other. But I am tough, and I will overcome! LOL Tea and cantaloupe seem to help now.

Quilting, or any hobby, is such a blessing I think. I can re-focus my thoughts and wrap my head around something else for a while! One of the hardest things right now is NOT being able to attend the major quilt conventions. (There is one in NH in a couple of weeks.) I'll miss the inspiration, the friendships and, of course, the quilts!

Quilting.........
    There is a big quilt show in Paducah this coming April....My mother usually rents her house out to 4 women from Cinncinati but she is having surgery next week and has decided to cancel this year. If anyone is heading down this way for it I would love to meet up somewhere to have dinner or just to talk for a bit.....Maybe next year I will have rooms available for some of you that want to come....but mine are free.....

and I am very sorry that you are sick VickiCO...hang in there hun, we're almost home.....
  • Kathleen808
    Kathleen808 Member Posts: 2,342 Member
    VickiCO said:

Boy Howdy!

sorry you're feeling so sick
    Hi Vicki,
    Sorry the nurses were right. I wish this hadn't hit you. I know you will push through. Take care of yourself, better yet, have someone take care of you. :)
    Hugs.
    Kathleen
  • dorookie
    dorookie Member Posts: 1,731 Member
    Try to relax
    Vicki,

Your scans will come back great and you will be fine. THat is my prayer for you and that you have some rest and peace. Hope things continue going well and that the side effects dont get any worse. Gos Bless you

Beth
  • VickiCO

sorry you're feeling so sick
    Hi Vicki,
    Sorry the nurses were right. I wish this hadn't hit you. I know you will push through. Take care of yourself, better yet, have someone take care of you. :)
    Hugs.
    Kathleen

Thanks Kathleen
    After trying many things, Zofran finally did the trick. Funny, last time it didn't work! I stopped vomiting and now the nausea is subsiding somewhat. I'll make it....

My sweet husband is the best caregiver ever. I couldn't do this without him. He sure puts up with a lot!

Vicki
  • maglets
    dorookie said:

Try to relax
    Vicki,

Your scans will come back great and you will be fine. THat is my prayer for you and that you have some rest and peace. Hope things continue going well and that the side effects dont get any worse. Gos Bless you

Beth

so sorry
    Oh Vicki I am so sorry that you are so sick!

Darling girl...try to eat and stay hydrated.....dratty chemo:):)

Hugs
    Mags