Hopeful News from Vanderbilt

Options
amcp
amcp Member Posts: 251 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
As you have read in the past my husband of 40 yrs was diagnosed with stage 4 colonrectal cancer in 8/06...surgery and colostomy done 9/06...chemo until 12/08 at which time our local onc. said nothing left for him to do. So he sent us to Vandy...met with liver surgeon and he said he could have liver resection but he had a spot in his right lung that had to be taken care of first. Referred to Lung surgeon...he said yes he could do lung surgery but Frank would have to quit smoking or no surgery. That night after smoking for 45 years my husband quit "cold turkey" He had lung surgery on 2/10/09 at Vandy ...only had one cancerous met which he removed with 4% of his right lung. He is very weak from that and is still short of breath. Released from lung dr last wk and came today to see liver onc. surgeon. He ran another CT scan and labs...sch to come back next week to have echo & stress test done and meet with cardiologist to get clearance. Embolization is scheduled for next Friday and will spend the night in the hospital. Go home the next day and get to stay home for a month and return on May 1 to have another CT scan and meet again with Liver onc. surgeon to schedule liver resection. That is the plan if nothing does wrong. The liver oncologist today said he felt that the left side of the liver only had two small spots that could easily be burnt or cut out and then removed the right lobe of the liver. He felt this was Frank best chance for a "CURE"....we were in shock...he actually mentioned CURE. We are so happy ...we know there is no guarantees and there are alot of "ifs" but this is the first time anyone has even hinted that there is at least a possibility of NED. Just wanted to share...please keep us in your prayers ...we pray for each of you nightly. You will never know how much support and encouragement we get from reading this site.

Comments

• tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Wow!
    Well, that's just fabulous! I can't wait to hear more updates on this wonderful happening.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options
    wonderful!
    Hi,
    How wonderful to hear that they're talking "cure"! What a contrast from back in December. It's another lesson to everyone that additional opinions should always be sought out when a doctor declares "there's nothing left that can be done".
    I wish you and Frank all the best and will keep him in my prayers.

Blessings,
    Lisa
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options
    lisa42 said:

wonderful!
    Hi,
    How wonderful to hear that they're talking "cure"! What a contrast from back in December. It's another lesson to everyone that additional opinions should always be sought out when a doctor declares "there's nothing left that can be done".
    I wish you and Frank all the best and will keep him in my prayers.

Blessings,
    Lisa

Vanderbilt......
    Doesn't work on percentages , they work on maintaining the best lifestyle for the person available. It seems as if you have found the right place at the right time. Please take each step as it comes and have joy in each path you take as you take it. Frank has a long road ahead but a great chance of having a fantastic finish. God Bless you both and I will keep you both in my prayers. I am only 2 hrs away so if something goes wrong with vehicle or you need anything just let me know and I will be up there to help ...or let me know anyway when your there.........Good Luck and God Bless......
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    Options
    Such Good News!
    Thanks for the update! I am so happy Frank is improving. We will keep up our end with the prayers and encouragement.

Vicki
  • dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Cure! Wow!
    I certainly will pray for Frank and you! God is good and still in the miracle business! What a blessing it was to see this post this morning. I know it will bring a bit of sunshine to a lot of lives today.

Thank the Lord for HIS peace and our hope!

Diane
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Options
    Great news
    The only word better than NED is CURE I think.
    Glad he quit smoking too, that's a good deal the Dr made with him.
    Life is full is "ifs" and what "ifs" but it all sounds positive.
    -phil
  • kimby
    kimby Member Posts: 797
    Options
    Cure
    Cure is my favorite word and hope for a cure is so exciting! Celebrate with abdandon! Now is the time to go crazy with joy and hope. I'm so happy for you and your family, you have been through so much.

Congratulations!

Kimby
  • Buzzard
    Options
    kimby said:

Cure
    Cure is my favorite word and hope for a cure is so exciting! Celebrate with abdandon! Now is the time to go crazy with joy and hope. I'm so happy for you and your family, you have been through so much.

Congratulations!

Kimby

and while I am in here.......
    Kimby.....I see beauty in your smile and caring in your heart...beautiful picture, thanks for sharing it....God Bless you.....
  • amcp
    amcp Member Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Buzzard said:

and while I am in here.......
    Kimby.....I see beauty in your smile and caring in your heart...beautiful picture, thanks for sharing it....God Bless you.....

Tootsie1,lisa42,BUZZARD, VickCO, netavegia, phillieg, & Kimby
    Thank you ...Thank each of you ...Thanks for your support, your encouragement, for sharing your stories, and for giving people like us hope when no one is offering hope. We could not have made it this far without each of you. Your kindness, thoughtfulness, caring, and concern are like beacons of light in a world of darkness. You have helped in more ways than words can express. BUZZARD..you are so amazing to offer to come two hours to help...what a blessing you are. We pray for each of you and pray that each day is a better day for you. We thank GOD for each of you and you each have blessed our lives in so many different ways. We know there are alot of "IF'S" ahead but hope is such a necessary thing...we all need hope.
    May GOD bless each of you and may your road ahead be smoother and less difficult. May your days be filled with happiness and joy. We love each of you.
    Your truly are Angels.
    Hugs,
    Frank and Anna
  • Buzzard
    Options
    amcp said:

Tootsie1,lisa42,BUZZARD, VickCO, netavegia, phillieg, & Kimby
    Thank you ...Thank each of you ...Thanks for your support, your encouragement, for sharing your stories, and for giving people like us hope when no one is offering hope. We could not have made it this far without each of you. Your kindness, thoughtfulness, caring, and concern are like beacons of light in a world of darkness. You have helped in more ways than words can express. BUZZARD..you are so amazing to offer to come two hours to help...what a blessing you are. We pray for each of you and pray that each day is a better day for you. We thank GOD for each of you and you each have blessed our lives in so many different ways. We know there are alot of "IF'S" ahead but hope is such a necessary thing...we all need hope.
    May GOD bless each of you and may your road ahead be smoother and less difficult. May your days be filled with happiness and joy. We love each of you.
    Your truly are Angels.
    Hugs,
    Frank and Anna

OK, now ya got me cryin'......
    Now I gotta go double up on my prozac, what a sweet post...Thank you so much...We love ya'll also......God Bless ya both........