sister diagnosed

Options
Marcia527
Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My older sister has just been diagnosed with breast cancer also. I was the first one in our family to have breast cancer. My mom passed away in 2001 of ovarian. Because no one else in the family had breast, I thought it was a fluke and didn't get genetic testing. Now her doctors are recommending it. What a bummer. They think it is about 3cm but are running the tests now. She has a MRI on Monday. A mammogram caught it but she has been having one every year. I was diagnosed in 2003. Another sister had uterine in 2002. Not a good decade for our family.

Comments

• Jadie
    Jadie Member Posts: 723
    Options
    sister
    Marcia I am so sorry to hear about your sister(s). I just want to send a hug your way. Keep us posted.

Hugs
    Jadie
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    Dang!
    (((((((HUGS))))))) to you and your sisters. My tumor was also 3cm~ and I too had mammos every year~ mine was the size of a walnut from one year to the next. No rhyme or reason for this beast, it seems. Perhaps your sister will find her way to this site and we can get to know her, along with her "baby sister".

Thinking of you!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    my opinion
    I think genetic testing is a good idea with your family history. If there are any daughters or nieces or other sisters involved it could give them good information. There are no guarantees that the someone with the gene will or will not get cancer, it is just another contrubuting factor, but it is good to know. My Sister died of BC mets in 2003, I was dx in 2007. Both of us got tested, both negative...one less risk factor for our other sister and our 3 daughters (between us).

May cancer leave you and yours and never return! seof.
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Options
    Marcia, that just downright
    Marcia, that just downright SUCKS!! There's only one good thing about it and that is she has you to help her through it. And us if she chooses. I do hope they caught it early and her tx is sweet and simple.
    love
    jan
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear that
    I'm so sorry to hear that Marcia. I'm glad she has you for support and us if she wants to join. I was also the first to be diagnosed with BC, and so far am the only one. I had genetic testing and it came back negative. Had yearly mammos since age 37 and mine was not detected at all. I felt the lump 3 months after my mammo. So go figure. Tell her we wish her well and send her many cyber hugs, Lili
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Options
    Marcia
    I am so sorry your sis also has to go through this battle with the beast. I have 3 sisters and a daughter. I worry about them all of the time. and make sure they get their mamo's. I will be praying for you and your sister.
    God bless
    Jackie
  • candican
    candican Member Posts: 24
    Options
    sister diagnosed
    Marcia527

Sorry to hear about your sister. I took the genetics that was recommended by my physcian and it can out negative. I have two sister that got breast cancer. Sometimes it does not matter if it runs in your family genes or not.

Maybe it was the chemical in the food that we ate or maybe it was an infection that was untreated that cause cells to go crazy!!!!

Hopefully, they will find a what cause it and the cure for this trouble disease.
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    So sorry
    I am so sorry Marcia. I will pray for you and your family. Take care hun!
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options
    Oh no
    Marcia,

I am very sorry to hear about your sister. She does have you to help her through the rough times. We are also ready to help if she feels ready to post about her experience. This cancer is so cruel -- what it does to us and our families. Hugs to your whole family.

Mimi
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Options
    mimivac said:

Oh no
    Marcia,

I am very sorry to hear about your sister. She does have you to help her through the rough times. We are also ready to help if she feels ready to post about her experience. This cancer is so cruel -- what it does to us and our families. Hugs to your whole family.

Mimi

Marcia
    So sorry to hear this news. Hope all goes well, it just ain't fair, is it?... Hugs Julia xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Options
    I am so sorry Marcia. My
    I am so sorry Marcia. My prayers are for you and your family!
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    Options
    Jeanne D said:

I am so sorry Marcia. My
    I am so sorry Marcia. My prayers are for you and your family!

Marcia, I am so sorry to
    Marcia, I am so sorry to here the news on your sister's diagnosis. She will be so lucky that she has you there to help guide her through all of the many questions you will have while going through the next months. I will be keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers, and know that if I can help in any way, I am as close as these boards. The people here are so wonderful and knowledgeable, and will be able to guide you through. Lots of hugs sent your way for you and your family.

Judy
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    Sister
    Marcia, I just saw your post. I am so sorry this has happened to your sister, too, and to your family. I will be thinking of you and her and praying for the best as you wait for more information. As others have said, your sister has a wonderful and powerful resource--you. At least in this awful time you have the gift of giving.

When she is ready,I hope that your sister will join us here. You know that we all will help her any way we can.