Question for snommintj

Options
dianetavegia
dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I noticed you said your bills are now over $2 million. My insurance has a $2 mil lifetime cap. Have you had to change insurance companies to continue treatment?

Guess we should all keep an eye on these things and be prepared!

Again, God bless and wishing you only great news and a dance at your grandchild's wedding!

Diane

Comments

• snommintj
    snommintj Member Posts: 601
    Options
    Good Question
    Once you max out you insurance, you're done. No insurance would cover me and there is nothing like cobra for maxed out insurance. My wife had to get a job with insurance last march, the insurance was pretty good but I had to wait one year for the insurance to cover pre-existing conditions. In a cost cutting measure the company changed their insurance policy to a much lower ceiling. So when my condition was finally covered I maxed it out in just a few days, still uninsured. So I was uninsured Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan, par of Feb. I applied for my states medicaid program and am awaiting acceptance. I think my wife can get a new job with insurance and I will be covered but that insurance won't kick in for 90 days.

A small bit of help. An insurance card is as good as insurance if you need to be treated. I just gave my insurance card every time I went to the Dr or had a procedure. I knew it was maxed but the policy hadn't expired. They still bill the insurance company, it takes awhile for the company to deny the claim, but hey you already got the treatment.
  • dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    snommintj said:

Good Question
    Once you max out you insurance, you're done. No insurance would cover me and there is nothing like cobra for maxed out insurance. My wife had to get a job with insurance last march, the insurance was pretty good but I had to wait one year for the insurance to cover pre-existing conditions. In a cost cutting measure the company changed their insurance policy to a much lower ceiling. So when my condition was finally covered I maxed it out in just a few days, still uninsured. So I was uninsured Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan, par of Feb. I applied for my states medicaid program and am awaiting acceptance. I think my wife can get a new job with insurance and I will be covered but that insurance won't kick in for 90 days.

A small bit of help. An insurance card is as good as insurance if you need to be treated. I just gave my insurance card every time I went to the Dr or had a procedure. I knew it was maxed but the policy hadn't expired. They still bill the insurance company, it takes awhile for the company to deny the claim, but hey you already got the treatment.

Thanks for answering
    These type things are quite important and better to plan ahead!