Replacement Parts, On the way!!!!!!!!!!!!

tasha_111
tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi, Again... I contacted the Canadian Cancer Society today and they are sending me out a free Prothesis kit!!!!!!!!!.. Hey I might be able to look almost normal again!, They also told me where and when to get measured up for... "the real thing"..Do they mean coke?.. I hope this free "Falsie" weighs as much as my 40D or I'll still be going round in circles, unbalanced like a demented mountain goat! LOL Or a one eared backward flying Haggis.....they exist.

Huge hugs to you all.......Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Comments

• JoMama54
    JoMama54 Member Posts: 78
    Tasha, I got a prescription from my Dr. for a prothesis but my insurance won't cover it because of a new deductible and I can't afford it because of all the medical bills. I use to sew in my younger years and have tried to make my own but gosh a 40c is alot of cotton!! And I can't keep it down, it keeps riding up! Let me know how you make out with it.
    Keep Smiling, Jomama
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    yeah, what is a prothesis
    yeah, what is a prothesis kit? Do you have to sew your own like JoMama? She may have to give you some tips.
  • JoMama54
    Marcia527 said:

yeah, what is a prothesis
    yeah, what is a prothesis kit? Do you have to sew your own like JoMama? She may have to give you some tips.

Well everything I pick up I
    Well everything I pick up I have to cup in my hands!!
    Just to see if it comes close.
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Hi.........
    The American Cancer Society sent me a prosthesis also. They were just wonderful! It was a light fiberfill one, which worked out well after surgery and while going through treatment. But it was very lightweight. And if you don't laugh too hard, I will tell you what I did to it to add weight... I took a few of my son's smaller fishing sinkers and put them in a very small plastic bag and buried them in the fiberfill inside...lol! It worked however!

Now that my rad burns have healed, I have an appt. for a bra and regular prosthesis fitting. Can't wait! Especially since I won't be able to get away with wearing bulky, chest hiding clothes soon.

CR
  • JoMama54
    CR1954 said:

Hi.........
    The American Cancer Society sent me a prosthesis also. They were just wonderful! It was a light fiberfill one, which worked out well after surgery and while going through treatment. But it was very lightweight. And if you don't laugh too hard, I will tell you what I did to it to add weight... I took a few of my son's smaller fishing sinkers and put them in a very small plastic bag and buried them in the fiberfill inside...lol! It worked however!

Now that my rad burns have healed, I have an appt. for a bra and regular prosthesis fitting. Can't wait! Especially since I won't be able to get away with wearing bulky, chest hiding clothes soon.

CR

Also Diagnosed in July 2008
    CR1954
    I will have to try the sinkers. My next thought is one of those neck pillows with the real tiny filled balls....I am gonna cut one end off the size of me and see if that works. How did you get the American Cancer Society to send you the prosthesis?
    Jomama54
  • Wibby
    Wibby Member Posts: 27
    JoMama54 said:

Also Diagnosed in July 2008
    CR1954
    I will have to try the sinkers. My next thought is one of those neck pillows with the real tiny filled balls....I am gonna cut one end off the size of me and see if that works. How did you get the American Cancer Society to send you the prosthesis?
    Jomama54

Do You Knit?
    Hi Jomama54,
    Do you knit? There is a great pattern online for knitted prostheses, but they're called "knit *its" if you get my drift. I don't remember the web site, but the instructions were free. They recommend "weighting" the knit *its with a small (or larger) lucky stone. I made several, but they all came out too large - I donated them to my local cancer center.
    Good luck!
    Libby
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Hi jomama...
    I called our local chapter of ACS and they sent me a "packet" of all kinds of things. A soft prosthesis was included. They also encouraged me to come in and get a wig, which I did.

Try calling your local chapter and ask them about some of their programs. They will be happy to talk to you.

CR