Reconstruction Update (Part III)

RE
RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Yesterday was my appointment with my surgeon. I went in there with the full intention of telling him not to put in any more more 100 cc's of fluid due to the pain I was having. Well, when he came in I explained the pain and he reclined the exam chair I was in as and was quite surprised as I winced and complained of just how painful it was to be in a laying position or to endure any type of quick movement. He stated that that was certainly not normal and he proceeded with the exam. As it turned out the expanded was folded in an awkward position at the bottom of it which was causing it to tear into the meaty insides of my being. Sorry for the rather distasteful description but that is what was happening. As a result of this he needed to put in enough fluid to expand this crease, I took another 200 cc's and I must admit there was immediate relief. I did not have the intense pain I had upon my arrival in his office. Yes, it still aches but it is no longer such a strong sharp jabbing sensation and I was able to sleep much better last night. I am now at the lets let it stretch a bit portion of this endeavor and do not go back to see him for a month (unless it becomes painful again.) At our next meeting we are to discuss if we need more fluid or if everything has settled enough to commence with surgery. I will keep you all informed.

My best to each of you,

RE

Comments

• mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    So glad you got that resolved
    What a relief, RE. Really happy that you are more comfortable now. This is testament to the fact that we must all speak up about our pain and symptoms -- often there is a reason and a solution.

Mimi
  • Ltalcott
    Ltalcott Member Posts: 119
    mimivac said:

So glad you got that resolved
    What a relief, RE. Really happy that you are more comfortable now. This is testament to the fact that we must all speak up about our pain and symptoms -- often there is a reason and a solution.

Mimi

"This is testament to the fact that we must all speak up about our pain and symptoms -- often there is a reason and a solution."

Read that again and again and again. I think that is so important. It's going to be my mantra through this whole thing.

Lisa
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    I agree with
    I agree with ltalcott...always let the Dr. know how you are feeling and ask questions, especially if you are uncomfortable. Quite often they can find a way to make it better.

Glad you feel better, seof
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    I am so relieved that you
    I am so relieved that you are feeling better and that there was actually a reason for the discomfort. I was getting concerned that there might have been an infection. Glad everything is ok. Hugs, Lili
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    I'm glad Re
    So glad your found the reason for your pain. Last Dec. when i got home from my mastectomy, the surgeon told me to keep the bandages and mastectomy bra on for a week, and not shower or get them wet. After a week i was feeling sharp pain and not knowing if it was due to the mastectomy. When the surgeon took my bandages off he found that the mastectomy bra (elastic on it) had actually grown into my skin! ouch. I went on antibiotics so it would not get infected..but still have the scars. When we have never had something done before we don't know what to expect. Good luck with the rest. It will all be worth it in the end!
    hugs
    Jackie
  • GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077
    rjjj said:

I'm glad Re
    So glad your found the reason for your pain. Last Dec. when i got home from my mastectomy, the surgeon told me to keep the bandages and mastectomy bra on for a week, and not shower or get them wet. After a week i was feeling sharp pain and not knowing if it was due to the mastectomy. When the surgeon took my bandages off he found that the mastectomy bra (elastic on it) had actually grown into my skin! ouch. I went on antibiotics so it would not get infected..but still have the scars. When we have never had something done before we don't know what to expect. Good luck with the rest. It will all be worth it in the end!
    hugs
    Jackie

glad thats over
    Re~now you can rest-and sleep a little better perhaps. And a month off!
    Yeah.
  • chriss26
    chriss26 Member Posts: 18
    Oh My!
    You poor thing. I can only imagine the pain you must have felt. It hurts enough just getting stetched. I have not been on in a while so I did not know about your ordeal. I am glad that your pain has been relieved somewhat. Hang in there Re! Only a few more bumps (ha ha) to get through on your recovery road. Sleep well. Chris