Lymphatic fluid in breast

Derbygirl
Derbygirl Member Posts: 198
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My oncologist said mild swelling and discomfort was lymphatic fluid accumulating in my breast after sentinel node biopsy and lumpectomy in August 2008. I'm aware of arm lymphedema and its problems even though I don't suffer from that. This is not disabling in any way and I have exercises to help drain the fluid. Has anyone had this complication of cancer or its treatment and what was done about it?

Comments

• Jadie
    Jadie Member Posts: 723
    lymphatic fluid
    Hi Derbygirl

Yes I have this problem. But I never had it until after reconstruction (that I noticed).
    It is mild and a little discomfort sometimes. My radiation onc told me to message my breast starting at the nipple and moving up toward the lymphnodes. This helps move the fluid out. I do it a few times every morning in the shower. What exercise did he give you?

Hugs
    Jadie
  • Derbygirl
    Derbygirl Member Posts: 198
    Jadie said:

lymphatic fluid
    Hi Derbygirl

Yes I have this problem. But I never had it until after reconstruction (that I noticed).
    It is mild and a little discomfort sometimes. My radiation onc told me to message my breast starting at the nipple and moving up toward the lymphnodes. This helps move the fluid out. I do it a few times every morning in the shower. What exercise did he give you?

Hugs
    Jadie

Onc. said to "milk" or
    Onc. said to "milk" or massage the area at the bottom of my breast and stay below the site of the lumpectomy. The idea is to drain fluid to the right side (I had left breast cancer). He said to do this five times a week for about 30 minutes while I watch TV or at rest. Thanks for your response.
  • ohilly
    ohilly Member Posts: 441
    ah,yes
    Fluid: Yes! I definitely had this problem with both my mastectomies: it is called seroma, and is a royal pain. I had two separate mastectomies, one for cancer and one preventative. when I had the first mastectomy, my drain popped out by accident the first day after the surgery. Then they started draining out the fluid build up with a needle, but after a long while of doing this they finally surgically re-attached the drain and that took care of the fluid build up in a short while. With the second mastectomy, I also had to have the fluid drained off with a needle for maybe a month, then it stopped.

This caused a lot of anxiety for me because I was afraid the fluid build up wouldn't stop, but I am here to tell you that it does eventually. It's not harmful, just bothersome, so don't worry.

Ohilly
  • barbb516
    barbb516 Member Posts: 4
    Lymphatic fluid in breast
    I am 14 days out of mastectomy surgery and I have a collection of fluid near the drain site. It doesn't hurt but is feels weird. My Dr. told me it will drain off, not to worry.