taxol and hair loss

Options
13»

Comments

• VAL C
    VAL C Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Hair loss taxol and herceptin

hi just Kelly. Want to say that our diagnosis sound similar. I am on my 4th round if taxol and herceptin ano hair is shedding but not in an exorbitant aMount. Will that change I have no idea. I also bought a very expensive wig and invested I lots of hair coverings as I was told by week two I would lose my hair. I hope I am as lucky as you were and make it until week 12 hair loss free! 

• VAL C
    VAL C Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Sorry for the typos...didn't

Sorry for the typos...didn't proofread lol 

• HapB
    HapB Member Posts: 527
    Options
    justkelly said:

kept hair on weekly Taxol/Herceptin!

I just finished my tenth out of 12 infusions of weekly Taxol and Herceptin and I just want to say that I haven't lost any hair anywhere! Still have to shave my legs, and I MAY be shedding a few more hairs than normal but nothing noticable. I was told to expect hair loss by all my doctors and nurses so I bought an expensive wig.....just want to say, do not rush out and do this until you actually see you are losing your hair. You may not. I think the lower weekly dose isn't as hard on the hair follicles. (I am age 53, diagnosed with stage 1b triple positive IDC, RX with lumpectomy and will have radiation and Tamoxifen soon). This protocol has been very easy to tolerate, very minimal side effects. Good luck!

Justkelly

Cool

That is fantastic!  I don't know my stage yet, but I am also IDC triple positive and they are recommending a similar protocol so far. I am so glad for you that you kept your hair. When I was treated for another unrelated cancer 6 yrs. ago, I was told to expect hair loss and I didn't lose hair either...I was so blessed. I was much healthier back then before all the chemo and radiation from 6 years ago.  Your post gives me hope! 

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Loss of hair is painful to the soul....

I lost my hair after the second round of chemo.  It came out by the handfuls.  It was everywhere and it tickled my neck and face as it fell.  It was a mess.  So I went to the hairdresser and had it shaved off.  I put on my hats and scarves.  I did not like my wig, it was hot adn itchy.  When my hair started coming back in it was a wild crazy hair.  It was stressing me out!  Some long, some short, some thinner spots.  some straight, some curly.  I called it the hair from hell.  What to do with this?  If you read some post you will read about my frustration and breakdowns.   When I got on here and I took some suggestions the other ladies had.  I went to the hair dresser today and got a really short cut.  Like Peter Pan.  and as time goes on, she and I will manage it together. 

As many say on here, you have to embrace and get to know your new normal.  That is never easy, but I feel stronger by just taking charge of my hair today. It is a small thing in comparrison to what we have to endure in this fight.  Most of it is out of our hands, but today, my hair is under my control now and that makes me feel awesome.  ROAR!

Hugs,

Annie

• HapB
    HapB Member Posts: 527
    Options
    Annie

That is great! It really helps to feel good about yourself. I have forceps head, but thankfully great hair.  I heard about the shape of my head my whole life from my lare Mom who told me the story about how horrified she was when she first saw me. God bless her soul.  I really pray that I don't lose my hair, but if I do, I will be covering my forceps head!  I think what is bothering me the most about losing my hair is not the vanity thing per se, but the idea that everyone is going to know that I am sick. I hate that. I have been independent my whole life and I dread, dread, dread having people see that I am sick.  I know that is pride, which is a fault. God sure has a way of helping us overcome our weaknesses! 

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    edited May 2017 #47
    Options
    HapB said:

Annie

That is great! It really helps to feel good about yourself. I have forceps head, but thankfully great hair.  I heard about the shape of my head my whole life from my lare Mom who told me the story about how horrified she was when she first saw me. God bless her soul.  I really pray that I don't lose my hair, but if I do, I will be covering my forceps head!  I think what is bothering me the most about losing my hair is not the vanity thing per se, but the idea that everyone is going to know that I am sick. I hate that. I have been independent my whole life and I dread, dread, dread having people see that I am sick.  I know that is pride, which is a fault. God sure has a way of helping us overcome our weaknesses! 

Oh they notice...and it can be entertaining.

People will notice.  Most of the time you lose the brows and the lashes.  It is normal that people will notice.  Some wont know what to say or they will, out of nervousness, say something dumb.  I, myself, preferred nothing to dumb.

I never minded when child stared at me.  I would just try to give them a warm smile.  Sometimes I wore dark sunglasses because I became very light sensitive.  You could see them but they could not see your eyes. It was funny when all of a sudden you smile at them really big and they blush like Busted!.  You have to find humor in it somewhere.   

When my son was ill, (13 years cancer free!)  Most times he had to wear a mask when he was out and about.  The docs referred to it as the duck bill.  Yes, people stared at him because it was out of the norm.  So when he felt someone starred for too long, he would just catch their eye and quack one time at them.  Oh my, it was hard not to giggle at their shock.  My son always kept his sense of humor throughout his ordeal.  This was the young man, that if he thought the doctor took to long to come into the exam room, he would change it around.  When the doctor came in, my son would be sitting on the exam table with a straight face observing the doctor's confussed look. 

What I found out is more than likely everyone knows someone or has been touched by this beast in one way or the other and they get it and they are courteous and respectful.  And if someone goes out of their way to help you, it makes them more comfortable with it and shows us there still good people in this world.

Hugs,

Annie