Femara effects????????

babebussie
babebussie Member Posts: 150
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Does anyone take this drug? What are the side effects most people experience?

Comments

• cruf
    cruf Member Posts: 908
    Femara
    Yes,I took Tamoxifen for 5 years and had hot flashes and vaginal discharge. Then , I was switched to Femara for 8 mos. and had alot of side effects but not everyone has trouble. My major problems were joint pain in hands, and feet and trigger fingers which I never had before.When I would initially get up, I moved like an old lady,but once up, it losened up. I also had many other sideeffects. I switched to Aromasin for 1 1/2 years but the sideeffects continued and multiplied so it was affecting my quality of life so I decided, along with my MD, to stop taking Aromasin. I've been off meds since Oct. 2007 and I still have the same problems. I'm not sure it was caused by the meds but I never had these problems before taking them. As I said before, many ladies take femara or other aromatose inhibitors and don't suffer from these problems. I think it's worth trying. Sure would hate to have a return of BC.Good luck! Think positive and hopefully you'll do just fine! HUGS!! Cathy
  • babebussie
    babebussie Member Posts: 150
    cruf said:

Femara
    Yes,I took Tamoxifen for 5 years and had hot flashes and vaginal discharge. Then , I was switched to Femara for 8 mos. and had alot of side effects but not everyone has trouble. My major problems were joint pain in hands, and feet and trigger fingers which I never had before.When I would initially get up, I moved like an old lady,but once up, it losened up. I also had many other sideeffects. I switched to Aromasin for 1 1/2 years but the sideeffects continued and multiplied so it was affecting my quality of life so I decided, along with my MD, to stop taking Aromasin. I've been off meds since Oct. 2007 and I still have the same problems. I'm not sure it was caused by the meds but I never had these problems before taking them. As I said before, many ladies take femara or other aromatose inhibitors and don't suffer from these problems. I think it's worth trying. Sure would hate to have a return of BC.Good luck! Think positive and hopefully you'll do just fine! HUGS!! Cathy

Cathy, thanks for
    Cathy, thanks for responding. The Dr. wants to try this even though i'm not post-mena. The cancer that once started in my breast decided to come back in my hip area which hurts like hell. Just when i thought i was doing good, BAMMM. God is good though and he'll see me thru this one too. I just want it to work and not have to go thru surgery for this issue. I was suppose to take tamoxifen but the cancer flipped a script.
    Pray for me.
  • Derbygirl
    Derbygirl Member Posts: 198
    I've been taking Femara for
    I've been taking Femara for nearly four months and side effects are lower back aches and vaginal dryness. I was told by the Oncologist these are two of the four most common side effects as well as hot flashes and osteoporosis. I'm nearly triple negative (only 5% ER positive) but my doctors are urging women who are at least 1% positive to get whatever benefit possible from hormone therapy. It may become a quality of life issue for me if side effects worsen. For the time being, I'm doing what I can to prevent recurrence. I'll be anxious to hear from others taking Femara.