hyoscyomine

Options
fighting for mom
fighting for mom Member Posts: 96
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Well- Mom is still having trouble with diarrhea. The sandostatin shot helped to slow things down but hasn't stopped it. She is still having trouble eating- after a few bites she gets gaggy and just can't get any more down. She is drinking about 1500 cc - same trouble - just can't make it go down. I think if we could stop the diarrhea she would do better.

It was mentioned that lomotil and hyoscyomine could be used. What are the side effects of the hyoscyomine? I read up on it- pretty much everything is stated as a possible side effect.

The reason I ask is that Mom loves to read- that is something she can still do and helps to take her mind off of things. She has been switching between the lomotil and immodium mainly taking immodium due to the lomotil makes her eyes so she can't read. I wonder if this other med will do the same?

She has lost so much strength and ability in the last few weeks due to being dehydrated (7 hours of iv fluids and potassium sure helped) that I hate for them to put her on something and then she can't read. It is such a battle with these meds!

I am glad that there are so many people to bounce questions off of! Thanks!

Comments

• msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    hyocyamine
    well, it definitely makes you sleepy, much like any muscle relaxant. But the relief it offers is WELL worth it! Especially when you realize that dehydration, which often comes with unrelieved diarrhea, causes tiredness as well. I found that I NEVER had to take more than one dose of the hyocyamine; it did it's job and when I woke up it was onward and upward. Of course, also like any other kind of drug, over time, it made me less sleepy when I used it, but I still never tried to do anything requiring much concentration when I took a dose. When I FIRST took it I couldn't even hold a conversation!
    mary
  • fighting for mom
    Options
    msccolon said:

hyocyamine
    well, it definitely makes you sleepy, much like any muscle relaxant. But the relief it offers is WELL worth it! Especially when you realize that dehydration, which often comes with unrelieved diarrhea, causes tiredness as well. I found that I NEVER had to take more than one dose of the hyocyamine; it did it's job and when I woke up it was onward and upward. Of course, also like any other kind of drug, over time, it made me less sleepy when I used it, but I still never tried to do anything requiring much concentration when I took a dose. When I FIRST took it I couldn't even hold a conversation!
    mary

thanks
    Thanks for the info. I am pushing for Mom to get started on it by tomorrow. Like you say, the dehydration is much worse!

I took off of work last Friday through at least Wed to help mom and dad out. I am so fortunate that my boss was so quick to let me off. I am anxious to go with mom to her onc apptmt tomorrow- I think things could be going so much better. And knowledge is power! Thank you so much for sharing yours!

How often did you have to take the hyocyamine? Did you still take the lomotil daily as well? Just trying to convince mom it is the right thing to do.

Thanks so much!
  • fighting for mom
    Options

thanks
    Thanks for the info. I am pushing for Mom to get started on it by tomorrow. Like you say, the dehydration is much worse!

I took off of work last Friday through at least Wed to help mom and dad out. I am so fortunate that my boss was so quick to let me off. I am anxious to go with mom to her onc apptmt tomorrow- I think things could be going so much better. And knowledge is power! Thank you so much for sharing yours!

How often did you have to take the hyocyamine? Did you still take the lomotil daily as well? Just trying to convince mom it is the right thing to do.

Thanks so much!

Also
    You were right on target when you posted about the dehydration and need for iv fluids! You have been 1 step in front of us and helping to prepare us for what is to come!

Thanks msccolon!
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

thanks

Thanks so much!

how often
    Not often at all, really. Only needed it maybe once per treatment. I would use the lomotil first, and if it didn't take care of it, I would take the hyocyamine. Never had to take more than one dose of that! I have not had any chemo since end of April last year, so no, I don't take anything to control my bowels. However, occasionally I eat something that really does a number on my bowels and if I have uncontrolled diarrhea for more than 4 runs to the bathroom I will take hyocyamine and problem solved. I have probably done that once in the last 11 months.
    mary
  • PamPam2
    PamPam2 Member Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    brat diet
    Hi hon. Look up BRAT diet on wikipedia. Bannanas rice applesauce and toast. My onc nurse had me try this when I got diarreah, it works, and you can put grape jelly on the toast. If your mom can get a little of this down it may help a little, also peanut butter is a thickener. Hope the docs can get her feeling better, can she have the pedialyte for kids that is to hydrate children with diarreah? Wishing you and your mom the best and to get some releif.
    Pam
  • PamPam2
    PamPam2 Member Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Oh i forgot, i wanted to mention about the reading, i could not read when on chemo either, the library has extensive collection of books on tape, and i pick them up at the goodwill for 99 cents too. I believe there are also some websites for free borrowing of books on tape.
    Pam
  • ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Hi ,
    I was heading

Hi ,
    I was heading for renal faiure early in chemo. I just could not stay out of the loo. They changed my chemo to an old regime but I was still in trouble. My gp at the time suggested I try donnatabs or buscopan. He said they were used as irritible bowel meds. The donnatabs contain hyoscyamine sulfate atropine sulfate and hyoscine hydrobrimide. They worked extremely well for me and settled me down for the remainder of chemo. There were no discernable side effects and I only took them as neccessary,Ron.
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options
    eyes
    Interesting about lomotil making your mom's eyes "so she can't read". I've had a tough time with diarhea this week and have been downing the Immodium (I've never had a need to have anything prescription strength for it- thinking of asking for it tomorrow, though). Anyhow... I was reading to my daughter tonight & my eyes kept doing weird things. The words would go blurry, then it would look like the font of the print would slant slightly. I kept blinking, thinking I'm just tired or my vision's really starting to go.
    Do you think it could even be the Immodium causing that?
    I've probably taken 10 Immodium caplets today. I need to call my oncologist about it tomorrow.