SURGERY ON THURSDAY

Options
qwe
qwe Member Posts: 124
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I am very nervous about the surgery and the pain that is in involved .
I have rectal cancer had 6 weeks of rad and chemo shrunk tumor but still have to have a resection and wear a bag.I know I will have an ostomy nurse and she will teach me how to take care of it.I go into the hospital
on the 25TH and surgery on the 26TH at 12:10PM I will be in the hospital for 9 days.Just given you the update.

Comments

• dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Will remember you!
    qwe, Again, my surgery was in my upper abdomen (and no bag) but I never asked for one pain med and was discharged 42 hours after surgery. I ate a full meal at noon the day after surgery. It was nothing like I expected. I'm sure others who have had your type surgery can explain more but wanted you to know that I'll be praying for you and wishing you all good things!

Diane in Georgia
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    Options
    I understand...
    I had my surgery Feb 4 - I was told there was a 90% chance of ostomy. I was lucky - my margins were clear, even though my tumor was only 4cm inside...and I ended up with a resection and no ostomy. I was told I would be in the hospital 7 days...but went home on the 5th day.

BTW - aren't they having you meet with an ostomy nurse before the surgery? Call and see if you can make this happen...it will help you understand everything.

We will be thinking of you. Vicki
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options
    QWE
    Hey girl we have been corresponding since the "no smoking board message boards" and found out we had colorectal cancer two weeks apart. Me first and you second and go figure we have been through radiation/chemo at the same time and now we are going to have our surgery on the same date - that is too coincidental.

Both QWE and myself have meet on the message boards quitsmokingmessageboard.com and when I wasn't there for awhile and said why QWE pipped up and said I have the same thing to. We have been corresponding back and forth to one another since January. I quit smoking and so did she - but she has a lot longer on me quitting.

You are going to do fine, as well as me.

You go girl in getting you healed and we will talk after all this surgery stuff is done.

Hugs!
    Kim
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options
    will remember
    Wow- que and Kim having surgery on the same day. I will mark it on my calendar and remember to pray for you both. You'll come through just fine- it won't be easy at first, but you can do it, with God's help and with everyone else's support.
    I'll be thinking of and praying for you both on that date.

Take care and hang in there-
    Lisa
  • dixchi
    dixchi Member Posts: 431
    Options
    Qwe and Kim
    Praying for the best through your surgeries and that you will be
    back to vim and vigor in rapid time.

Hugs,
    Barbara
  • johnnybegood
    johnnybegood Member Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    dixchi said:

Qwe and Kim
    Praying for the best through your surgeries and that you will be
    back to vim and vigor in rapid time.

Hugs,
    Barbara

qwe and kim
    thats so cool it always helps when someone is at the same place as you are so you can get through it together.qwe they got me up the next day after surgery to walk.i couldnt believe it.but i tell you it was the best thing.the more you get out of that bed and get up and walk the hall the quicker you will feel better and get to come home.you both will do fine.Godbless...johnnybegood
  • kimby
    kimby Member Posts: 797
    Options
    surgery
    I will have you in my thoughts. Congrats on completing the radiation and chemo - that is no small feat! You've done well and now comes getting that tumor out of there!

I also had a colostomy for 9 mos. It wasn't what I expected and I wouldn't be afraid of it again. After 5 abdominal surgeries in the last 20mos, my best pain management advise is to walk. I get up as quickly as possible after surgery and walk as often as possible. Sounds silly but it works!

Good luck

Kimby
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options
    kimby said:

surgery
    I will have you in my thoughts. Congrats on completing the radiation and chemo - that is no small feat! You've done well and now comes getting that tumor out of there!

I also had a colostomy for 9 mos. It wasn't what I expected and I wouldn't be afraid of it again. After 5 abdominal surgeries in the last 20mos, my best pain management advise is to walk. I get up as quickly as possible after surgery and walk as often as possible. Sounds silly but it works!

Good luck

Kimby

Kimby
    Like your picture. What a beautiful smile you have. Thanks for the advice on walking. I've heard that before but I'm sure that after surgery that's the last thing you want to do but I'm sure it needs to happen and a lot.

Kim
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    prayers for you
    Praying that your surgery will go well.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • dianetavegia
    Options
    qwe and Kim!
    In case I don't get online after chemo tomorrow, I will, WILL, remember you in prayer on Thursday. Remember Beachinmom who has surgery on Wednesday.

Our God is an AWESOME God! I will be thanking Him for successful surgeries and speedy healing for you both!

God Bless and keep you in HIS hands,
    Diane
  • taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
    Options
    I had this surgery
    Good luck to you both -- I will be thinking of you.

I had this exact surgery (and presurgical treatment) about 6 years ago. I totally agree with the advice about walking. They will make you get up on your feet within the first 24 hours. Bit ouchy! My advice is to start walking asap and to walk as much as you are able -- both in the hospital and also after you get home. I feel it really helps with recovery. Also, make sure you are getting good pain relief. There is no need to be afraid of the pain - these days the pain relief drugs are very good. But make sure to let the drs/nurses know about your specific experience, so they can tailor the meds. I got off the morphine-type drugs as soon as I could, because they don't agree with me (ha) but continued to take other oral meds for a while.....

Tara
  • spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    Options
    THURSDAY
    We'll be keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.

Walk mjuch and feel better soon.

- (Sponge) Bob & USAKat(ie)
  • taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
    Options
    and also
    Meant to say -- those ostomy nurses are angels. Ask as many questions as you want/can -- they are a wonderful source of information. He/she will make sure everything is under control before you leave the hospital. Mine gave me free samples of various types of pouches, so I could figure out what I wanted....that was very useful.

Tara
  • kimby
    kimby Member Posts: 797
    Options
    surgery
    Just want you to know that I'm thinking of you and wishing you all the best. Update us when you can.

Hugs,

Kimby
  • Glv49
    Glv49 Member Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you on your
    Good luck to you on your surgery, I will be keeping you in my prayers. My hubby was supposed to have his surgery this Friday, but it was cancelled due to a death in the surgeons family.
    So he is scheduled for April 3rd.

Gail
  • mom_2_3
    mom_2_3 Member Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Prayers and good thoughts...
    Prayers and good thoughts to you on your surgery tomorrow!!!

Amy
  • lmliess
    lmliess Member Posts: 329
    Options
    You are in my prayers!
    You will do great and walk walk walk after!
  • dianetavegia
    Options
    lmliess said:

You are in my prayers!
    You will do great and walk walk walk after!

Kim and Chip/ surgery today!
    Let's remember both Kim and QWE in prayer today!
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options

Kim and Chip/ surgery today!
    Let's remember both Kim and QWE in prayer today!

Kim.Qwe, today and Chip tomorrow.....
    May God be with each of you with surrounding arms of comfort and healing hands. May your recoveries be speedy and painless, and may each of you have peace with the end result. Bless each one of you today and as you go through this time of healing and may God bring you happiness in the rest of your lives...We all will be thinking of each of you .....God Bless you all...............