Got Scope Done

Options
Annabelle41415
Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Yesterday I went in for my scope and the doctor was very pleased with the shrinkage and look of the tumor. My husband could see the monitor but I was faced away. Doctor said that the radiation/chemo did an excellent job and there is hardly anything left of the tumor. He also stated that when he did the rectal that he couldn't even feel the tumor - yipeee. I was told at the first office visit with a different surgeon that I would have a permanent colostomy. Finding out I have cancer was devastating, but then finding out two weeks later I needed a permanent colostomy threw me into another ball park. I accepted that and have went to several meetings already. Dr. told me yesterday he wishes the tumor was higher so he could do a j-pouch but there wasn't enough room, but he did say he would be able to do a temporary ileostomy and then a take down in two to three months. He did also state that my BM's will never be the same and I could be going to the bathroom frequently. I don't want to be a slave to the bathroom so I did ask him if after the reversal if I just didn't like this new "normal" could I then have a permanent colostomy and he said yes. Not sure if it would be another ileostomy or a colostomy. I know they are doing the ileostomy so that the big colon could heal I think to make the new rectum. Not sure yet about all that. My husband said that if the doctor hadn't pointed out to him where the cancer was he would have never seen it so it must have shrunk a good bit.

I also asked him about reoccurence of the cancer if he just did the permanent colostomy right now verses an ileostomy and then eventually a reversal. He said he would never compromise a reoccurence by giving me a procedure he didn't feel confident that he could get all the cancer and make me well. He just seemed very confident that all would turn out well and kept saying how well the radiation/chemo worked.

Now I'm going to have to search ileostomy as I have only searched colostomy.

The appointment went much better than I thought so husband and I are very happy with the shrinkage of the tumor and doctor's results.

Hugs! Kim

Comments

• rrob
    rrob Member Posts: 158
    Options
    Great news!
    Kim,

Great news! It sounds like your treatments have really been working. After my resection in December, I was in the bathroom frequently. Gradually it has gotten better and is very manageable. Enjoy yourself and celebrate your good results.

Rebecca
  • dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Another Great Praise Report!
    This is SO uplifting!! All these Praise God's in a row!!

Praying God heals you fully with a forever healing! God is good!

Diane
  • Kathleen808
    Kathleen808 Member Posts: 2,342 Member
    Options
    Good news
    Kim,
    So glad to hear about the shrinkage and to hear the treatment has been successful. Best of luck as you continue your research.
    Aloha,
    Kathleen
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    Options
    Happy for you!
    Kim,

I am so happy for you! I am one of the lucky ones...I responded completely to my radiation/chemo treatments and when it was time for surgery, the tumor was GONE. I also asked about the recurrence, and my doctor assured me that he had enough clear margins that nothing was compromised. AND, I didn't have an ostomy. Yes, my BM's are different, but after 6 1/2 weeks, I am finally gaining some control. Things won't ever be the same again, but manageable. I have a much worse problem with constipation than with diarrhea, but we'll see if that changes after the next round of chemo.

Again, I am very happy for you! Vicki
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Yay!
    That's just wonderful! I know you and your husband are both feeling so happy right now. We'll keep praying for more and more good news for you!

*Hugs*
    Gail
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options
    glad to hear it
    Hi Kim,

So glad to hear the radiation was a success! Keep up the good spirits!

Lisa
  • johnnybegood
    johnnybegood Member Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    lisa42 said:

glad to hear it
    Hi Kim,

So glad to hear the radiation was a success! Keep up the good spirits!

Lisa

congrats
    on your shrinkage.i too had radiation and chemo[xeloda]to shrink mine.my surgery was dec.30 08 i had a temporary iliostomy for 5 wks.did a scope to see if i was healed enough for reversal and i was.i am glad because me personally had a hard time dealing with that. probably due to not a lot of onfo given to me about it.when i woke up i thought i had some type of cap on me with a bag.when the ostomy nurse came in to teach me about it i found out that it was my small intestine sticking out of my stomach.my mom was here for 6 months helping me with everything and she would change it for me.it was mentally and physically hard.my skin around the stoma got raw and irratated and was very painful.my reversal was feb 4 09.i still have a lot of bathroom issues and have gone to wearing a pad at night or when i go somewhere.im trying different things to help bulk my stool up but even after only 5 weeks i have lost some muscle control and its just going to take time to learn how to live with this new normal.dont want to discourage you this is just my experiance of it and even though i do spend alot of time in the bathroom,i dont think i could deal with the bag all the time.but most people on this site dont seem to mind it,sorry i was so long winded have a great dayGodbless.....johnnybegood
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    Options

congrats
    on your shrinkage.i too had radiation and chemo[xeloda]to shrink mine.my surgery was dec.30 08 i had a temporary iliostomy for 5 wks.did a scope to see if i was healed enough for reversal and i was.i am glad because me personally had a hard time dealing with that. probably due to not a lot of onfo given to me about it.when i woke up i thought i had some type of cap on me with a bag.when the ostomy nurse came in to teach me about it i found out that it was my small intestine sticking out of my stomach.my mom was here for 6 months helping me with everything and she would change it for me.it was mentally and physically hard.my skin around the stoma got raw and irratated and was very painful.my reversal was feb 4 09.i still have a lot of bathroom issues and have gone to wearing a pad at night or when i go somewhere.im trying different things to help bulk my stool up but even after only 5 weeks i have lost some muscle control and its just going to take time to learn how to live with this new normal.dont want to discourage you this is just my experiance of it and even though i do spend alot of time in the bathroom,i dont think i could deal with the bag all the time.but most people on this site dont seem to mind it,sorry i was so long winded have a great dayGodbless.....johnnybegood

Excellent!
    I'm so happy to hear about the shrinkage Annabelle! I was told also that my tumors were shrinking, after these 3 past treatments, and get my scan next month, my first one, so I'll be the one nail-biting waiting on those lol...good luck on what is chosen to your next plan of care, I hope it all goes well, so great to hear you're doing well!

Huggssss!
    ~Donna
  • qwe
    qwe Member Posts: 124
    Options
    Shayenne said:

Excellent!
    I'm so happy to hear about the shrinkage Annabelle! I was told also that my tumors were shrinking, after these 3 past treatments, and get my scan next month, my first one, so I'll be the one nail-biting waiting on those lol...good luck on what is chosen to your next plan of care, I hope it all goes well, so great to hear you're doing well!

Huggssss!
    ~Donna

Kim I am so happy for you
    Kim I am so happy for you well we talked on the phone
    but I felt I needed to post to, good luck.
  • spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    Options
    GREAT NEWS!
    Kim -

Fantastic news! Congrats on your shrinkage. Contrary to what George Costanza might think, SOMETIMES shrinkage can be a good thing!

(It's shrinkage I tell ya - SHRINKAGE!)

- SB
  • kimby
    kimby Member Posts: 797
    Options
    WooHoo!!
    This is certainly the place for celebrating shrinkage! I'm so very happy for you...much continued success.

SpongeBob, you are hilarious! Thanks for keeping us laughing :)

Kimby
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    great news!
    The shrinkage is truly a good thing! I am sure you are a bit relieved. I know you are still anxious about the actual surgery and the ostomy, but I am sure you will do just fine. Be sure to get all the help you can and take it just a day at a time!
    mary
  • angelsbaby
    angelsbaby Member Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    annabelle
    That is very good news I am happy for you.

michelle