question about reoccurring rectal cancer

Options
qwe
qwe Member Posts: 124
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I am having surgery in 6 days I have 2 opinions the tumor shrunk and can be taken out
through the rectum and come back later for a resection with a bag now I have a low
laying tumor at end of rectum soft tissues T2 cancer.
I have been told this type of tumor will come back what I would like to know if any one
here has had this type of tumor and had it removed and did the cancer come back and how may of you went straight for the bag I really need to know this now is I could please get an answer soon.

Comments

• qwe
    Options
    My Dr. called and he had
    My Dr. called and he had talked to his team who will be doing the surgery
    and they deem it necessary to do the resection with bag.

So I guess I don't need the help of the board cause no one even came and said
    any thing like no I don't know any thing about that I don't feel a part of this board
    I am kind a new here sorry I don't come here much to much to think about.
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Sorry
    I'm sorry you didn't get an answer. I'm just now checking this board for the day. I also had colon cancer, so I wouldn't have had an answer to your particular question. I'm glad you are part of the board, though, and I hope you will continue to post questions and comments. I'll be praying that you will have a complete recovery and NO recurrence.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • johnnybegood
    johnnybegood Member Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    tootsie1 said:

Sorry
    I'm sorry you didn't get an answer. I'm just now checking this board for the day. I also had colon cancer, so I wouldn't have had an answer to your particular question. I'm glad you are part of the board, though, and I hope you will continue to post questions and comments. I'll be praying that you will have a complete recovery and NO recurrence.

*hugs*
    Gail

hello
    i am so sorry you feel that way.you know we here at this board are all the same but different.i saw your post earlier today but i just didnt think in my situation i could be very helpful to your question.my tumor was low also and i did have a temporary iliostomy.my reversal was 5 weeks after my surgery.i was told that it would be temporary until i healed because they were able to put me back together.but at no time have they ever said that this would come back in the same place.i am currently doing 12 treatments of oxy and 5fu because i had 5 of 10 nodes with cancer cells in them so this is preventitive chemo that i am doing,but no doctor has ever told me it would come back in the same place as they have told you.please keep on posting here,im sure someone can be helpful as they always have been to me,it may take a while but there are a lot of caring people here and i hate to see someone who has this terrable disease feel like they have no one to turn to.we all care here and we are all semi-colon family.hope your surgery goes well and Godbless....johnnybegood
  • qwe
    Options

hello
    i am so sorry you feel that way.you know we here at this board are all the same but different.i saw your post earlier today but i just didnt think in my situation i could be very helpful to your question.my tumor was low also and i did have a temporary iliostomy.my reversal was 5 weeks after my surgery.i was told that it would be temporary until i healed because they were able to put me back together.but at no time have they ever said that this would come back in the same place.i am currently doing 12 treatments of oxy and 5fu because i had 5 of 10 nodes with cancer cells in them so this is preventitive chemo that i am doing,but no doctor has ever told me it would come back in the same place as they have told you.please keep on posting here,im sure someone can be helpful as they always have been to me,it may take a while but there are a lot of caring people here and i hate to see someone who has this terrable disease feel like they have no one to turn to.we all care here and we are all semi-colon family.hope your surgery goes well and Godbless....johnnybegood

Thank you it means a lot to
    Thank you it means a lot to me just to read your replies.
    My Dr didn't say it would come back in the same place but
    the type of tumor I have will come back maybe lower or
    maybe higher up but I have a history of poly's to and have
    6 limp nodes had 6 weeks of radiations and chemo.
    Sorry if I sounded like I was whining.
  • polarprincess
    polarprincess Member Posts: 202
    Options
    hi
    i have been gone at basketball tournaments all day so am just seeing your post now..i am not understanding why they think your tumor will come back, I mean i realize rectal cancers do have higher rates of recurrence, but since it is rectal cancer and you had radiation which should reduce the chance of recurrence to like 5%. How do they know you have 6 positive lymph nodes already without the resection?? have you had a second opinion to determine for sure if the bag is necessary? Make sure you are dealing with a board certified colon and rectal surgeon and not just a general surgeon... i have read some studies on having tumors removed through the rectum and those do seem to have a higher recurrence rate than the resection ...
  • steve g
    steve g Member Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Low Rectal Ca
    Qwe; My cancer was only 4cm inside and was told that it required at least 6cm to attempt a resection without a bag. I now have a permanent colostomy and am finally starting to accept it at 68 it's harder to make changes in your life. I too had chemo and radiation presurgery and was recomended to have the 12 treatment Folfox post surgery, I only had one treatment and deceided to stop,a personal decission. The origional dr that saw me,a general surgon, told me that I would have the bag so I sought a second opinion and went to Mayo Clinic and was told the same, Mayo did the surgery. I was cut front and back, I had asked the Dr about a less invasive procedure and he said he would rather feel the tissue. After the operation I asked about my 5 year survival chances and he said excellent so I hope he is correct, it has only been 4 months. I wish you the best and stay on this site for the best information and help, I seldom post but read daily. Good luck Steve
  • jillpls
    jillpls Member Posts: 238
    Options
    stage III reoccurrance
    HI
    I had stage III rectal cancer. I got a second opinion at UCSF to make sure what I was doing was right. Then I had it removed and had a temporary iliostomy. Make sure you really have to have a bag. My cancer came back in the lung and liver but they caught it so early that the chemo made it disappear. So now I"m on a maintenance regime and feeling good. God bless you and hang in there. You can get through this...get a second opinion.

JIll
  • dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Welcome QWE
    I didn't have colon cancer in the rectal area but wanted to uplift you.

My surgeon told me that colon cancer only recurs (all stages included) about 35% of the time. READ THAT AS IT NEVER RECURS 65% of the time! A study done at the Dana Farber Cancer Institute has proven that exercising every day or more strenuous exercise 4 days a week can increase survival chances by 55%. Another study has found that reservatol, found in red grapes, grape juice and wine helps prevent colon cancer.

♥ A positive attitude, laughter and prayer are very helpful, too! ♥

Eat (high fiber/ low fat), Drink (grape juice) and Be Merry (a joyful heart is good medicine)!

Welcome to the Semi-Colon Club and God Bless!
    Diane in Georgia
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    qwe said:

My Dr. called and he had
    My Dr. called and he had talked to his team who will be doing the surgery
    and they deem it necessary to do the resection with bag.

So I guess I don't need the help of the board cause no one even came and said
    any thing like no I don't know any thing about that I don't feel a part of this board
    I am kind a new here sorry I don't come here much to much to think about.

Sorry, I was in Sacramento...lobbying for CRC...lol!
    I had stage III rectal cancer, tumor in the first rectal fold.

I was told by my first surgeon that I had a 50% chance of a bag. I got a second opinion from a doctor that I had found by calling my local GI guys and asking them who they referred too low cancer to....his name came up 3 out of 4 times...

I had my entire rectum and sigmoid colon removed. And a total hysterectomy. I had a J-pouch procedure, where he took my descending colon and fashioned it into a 'new' rectum. I am 4 years (May 5) post-surgery, no reoccurance, and I will put my plumbing up next to anyone who has a full set....

So, yes, life DOES go on!!! And yes...you have soooo much on your plate. But we ARE a great group of 'been there/done that'...please, please don't give up on us before you get a taste of the Semi-colon family hospitality!

Kathi
  • miss3269
    miss3269 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Surgery
    Hi Qwe! I'm new here also and i just wanted to say that i had surgery 2/4 for rectal cancer, mine was only 4 to 5cm in and the surgeon did hand-assist laser surgery thru the front and was able to remove it and the lymph nodes, then went thru the rear to staple my colon back together, no bag. Mine was T1 and they ended up taking a foot to a foot and 1/2 of my colon out. But this type surgery was a better recovery time.
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    Options
    miss3269 said:

Surgery
    Hi Qwe! I'm new here also and i just wanted to say that i had surgery 2/4 for rectal cancer, mine was only 4 to 5cm in and the surgeon did hand-assist laser surgery thru the front and was able to remove it and the lymph nodes, then went thru the rear to staple my colon back together, no bag. Mine was T1 and they ended up taking a foot to a foot and 1/2 of my colon out. But this type surgery was a better recovery time.

WOW! miss3269
    We could be twins! I had my surgery 2/4. My tumor was just 4 cm inside...and I had complete response to radiation/chemo. I have no ostomy either. I also lost a foot and a half of colon/rectum.

Glad you are doing well....Vicki
  • taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
    Options
    I had rectal cancer - very low. I ended up with a permanent colostomy (bag). Of course it is nice if that can be avoided but the important thing is to get rid of the cancer! And the colostomy isn't so bad, once you get used to it.

The chances of no recurrence are usually GOOD and I certainly hope you fall into that group.

I have had a few recurrences myself -- in the lung (I was Stage 3 when diagnosed). But, they were detected early, treated successfully, and I am "NED" (no evidence of disease) now. I am taking some maintainence chemo.

Good luck!! Best wishes

Tara