Radioactive pellets okay?

saunafin
saunafin Member Posts: 7
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had a lumpectomy last week for Stage 0 breast cancer and am healing slowly. Has anyone heard whether radioactive pellets are safe for DCIS? I haven't met with my medical oncologist yet and am gathering as much info as possible. Thank you.

Comments

• mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Haven't heard of it being
    Haven't heard of it being used for breast cancer. I know it's used widely for prostate cancer. Hope all goes well with you. Please keep us posted. Hugs, Lili
  • EveningStar2
    EveningStar2 Member Posts: 491 Member
    rads

There is a surgical implantation of radiation that can be used in breast cancer. It has more to do with where the cancer was-I had DCIS but was not a candidate per my breast surgeon so I am having conventional radiation.

Maureen
  • saunafin
    saunafin Member Posts: 7

rads

There is a surgical implantation of radiation that can be used in breast cancer. It has more to do with where the cancer was-I had DCIS but was not a candidate per my breast surgeon so I am having conventional radiation.

Maureen

Radiation options
    Thank you so much. I don't want to get overwhelmed by all the information on the Internet. I'm paranoid that if I don't have regular radiation treatments for six weeks, my cancer will not be killed and will slowly start growing again. I guess I should try to calm down, continue to heal from last week's surgery, and wait for my appointment - probably next month - with my medical oncologist. I just want this whole thing to be over.
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Hi Sauna: You were very
    Hi Sauna: You were very fortunate that they caught it early (if fortunate is the right word, since no one wants to have to deal with this beast). I had a mastectomy so was able to avoid radiation all together but did have to go through chemo. I was stage 1 tumor grade 3 and I had invasive ductal carcinoma. The internet can be both good and bad. You need to filter through a lot of the information you will be reading. For now, take the time to heal and buy yourself a note pad where you can write down all the questions that arise. This way, when you do go to the oncologist, you will remember all the questions you had and also have a place to write the answers. Take someone with you as they will overwhelm you with information. Two heads are always better than one. Hope everything works out for you and please keep us posted. Hugs, Lili
  • EveningStar2
    EveningStar2 Member Posts: 491 Member
    saunafin said:

Radiation options
    Thank you so much. I don't want to get overwhelmed by all the information on the Internet. I'm paranoid that if I don't have regular radiation treatments for six weeks, my cancer will not be killed and will slowly start growing again. I guess I should try to calm down, continue to heal from last week's surgery, and wait for my appointment - probably next month - with my medical oncologist. I just want this whole thing to be over.

options
    Listen to what your doctor says. Then listen to what your head says. And if they agree, you're set. If they don't get a second opinion. I asked a whole lot of questions about why/why not I needed radiation--while my husband was jumping up and down in the background saying "you're getting radiation'. I'm still not totally unconvinced that I *have* to have radiation but it is the safe course and the gold standard after removal of DCIS. It's doable, just an inconvenience.

Maureen