headache from wig??

sunnygirl
sunnygirl Member Posts: 57 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I'm due for my 3rd of 8 treatments tuesday--happy st. patty's day--things are going ok--but, after wearing my wig for an hour or so, I start getting a real zapper of a headache. Has anyone experienced this? The wig seem to fit just fine.

Comments

• Derbygirl
    Derbygirl Member Posts: 198
    No headaches from the wig,
    No headaches from the wig, but headbands used to give me headaches. I wore my wig for 8 hours a day, 5 to 7 days a week. Do you have the right size since they range in sizes from petite to large? One of mine had a velcro strap to tighten or loosen as needed. The TLC catalog from the ACS has an example on how to measure your head for a wig. Good luck.
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Derbygirl said:

No headaches from the wig,
    No headaches from the wig, but headbands used to give me headaches. I wore my wig for 8 hours a day, 5 to 7 days a week. Do you have the right size since they range in sizes from petite to large? One of mine had a velcro strap to tighten or loosen as needed. The TLC catalog from the ACS has an example on how to measure your head for a wig. Good luck.

Wig Headache
    I also get a headache after a couple of hours wearing my wig. I did cut the velcro, and it helped. I was measured for the wig at a wig store, so I don't know what the problem is. Except, I have always been quick to get headaches--including migraines. (Some people get stomachaches; I always got headaches for the least of reasons.) So, I figure that is the cae here. I just wear the wig for a few hours, to go out to dinner or shopping. I wear hats or caps at work and home.

I would also see about loosening the velcro and visiting the place where you got the wig. Good luck. I hope you can adjust your wig or replace it.
  • bahallock
    bahallock Member Posts: 12
    headaches
    For about a week after Chemo any pressure on my head gives me a headache,(baseball caps, bandanas, anything I've tried). I make the cap as loose as I can and it helps some. Try new things, maybe a scarf. Some of them are soft and silky. TLC catalog has a good variety.
    Hope you find a solution. It is hard to have a headache all the time. B
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    I had the same problem.
    I had the same problem. Even though I was fitted and everything, that darn wig always gave me a headache and it pinched the back of my head near the neck. So, I wore it the least amount possible. I tended to wear nice head scarfs and baseball caps since I went through chemo in the summer. Hugs, Lili
  • ohilly
    ohilly Member Posts: 441
    no headache
    I didn't have a headache. I wore a 'wig liner' under the wig. Are you doing this? Also, I ONLY wore my wig to work. At home I always wore these little caps and turbans from headcovers.com or I think there was another one called Hats with a Heart (you can probably google it).

Ohilly
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    no headache
    I did not have a headache, but I felt more comfortable in hats. My Sister hated anything on her head, so she went bareheaded. The TLC catalog from the American Cancer Society also sells some partial wigs, I think they are called "falls". It looks like hair attached to a band that goes around the head and is designed to be worn under a hat. Something like that may be more comfortable.

Hope you find what you like, seof
  • Jan_M
    Jan_M Member Posts: 116
    Headaches from wigs
    I bought a real comfortable headband wig from tlcdirect. It is so comfortable you can sleep in it. I think they are on sale now. When I get home I usually take off my going out wig and put on the headband wig or a ski cap. My head gets cold without a cover.
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    ADJUSTMENTS
    Hello Sunny,

I did get headaches with my wigs at times. You have probably already done this, but incase you have not there are usually adjustments inside that allow you to losen the wig which will also losen the pressure. In addition to this some people find wearing a wig cap under the wig will lessen the pressure to your scalp, you can get the wig caps where wigs are sold. I think ACS also has them at times. I hope this helps a bit.

My best to you,

RE
  • sunnygirl
    RE said:

ADJUSTMENTS
    Hello Sunny,

I did get headaches with my wigs at times. You have probably already done this, but incase you have not there are usually adjustments inside that allow you to losen the wig which will also losen the pressure. In addition to this some people find wearing a wig cap under the wig will lessen the pressure to your scalp, you can get the wig caps where wigs are sold. I think ACS also has them at times. I hope this helps a bit.

My best to you,

RE

headache from wigs??
    Thanks for the ideas--I will try the liner cap and if that doesn't help, I'll go back to the shop. I do have some turbans and the soft caps that tie--I think my scalp is just super sensitive right now. Thanks again.
    Hugs,
    Sunny
  • Joycelouise
    Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
    While your hair is still
    While your hair is still falling out, the scalp can be super sensitive. If you are still having some hair loss, that may be it. BTW, a sister on this site told me about wearing a scarf, but instead of tying it, usuing a scrunci to make the back into a pony tail. That was super comfortable and made wearing scarves in public easier and firmer. Best wishes, Joyce
  • sunnygirl

While your hair is still
    While your hair is still falling out, the scalp can be super sensitive. If you are still having some hair loss, that may be it. BTW, a sister on this site told me about wearing a scarf, but instead of tying it, usuing a scrunci to make the back into a pony tail. That was super comfortable and made wearing scarves in public easier and firmer. Best wishes, Joyce

scrunci
    A scrunci--that's a good idea--I'll try that. Thanks Joyce I had my head buzzed a little over a week ago when fall-out started, but I do still have some stubble.
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072

While your hair is still

Headaches
    Hi, I had 2 under-wig stocking caps, one fitted great, the other was way too tight and gave me awful headaches, I binned it after the 2nd time of use. I gave up with the wigs and found some wonderful scarves at Claires, Real ethnic stuff with silver and gold threads running through them....wonderful! Hope this helps. Hugs Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    tasha_111 said:

Headaches
    Hi, I had 2 under-wig stocking caps, one fitted great, the other was way too tight and gave me awful headaches, I binned it after the 2nd time of use. I gave up with the wigs and found some wonderful scarves at Claires, Real ethnic stuff with silver and gold threads running through them....wonderful! Hope this helps. Hugs Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

just wondering..
    I have shaved my head twice now, believing that it was the stubbles giving me a headache. It keeps growing back into stubbles again. My hubbie wants to shave it again. But i don't know. I only have 2 treatments left, could it be growing back in? Bob says i probably need to shave it again so it will grow back in even when it does. What do you all think? P.S. i don't have the headache anymore.
    Thanx
    Jackie
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    rjjj said:

just wondering..
    I have shaved my head twice now, believing that it was the stubbles giving me a headache. It keeps growing back into stubbles again. My hubbie wants to shave it again. But i don't know. I only have 2 treatments left, could it be growing back in? Bob says i probably need to shave it again so it will grow back in even when it does. What do you all think? P.S. i don't have the headache anymore.
    Thanx
    Jackie

Jackie, toward the end of my
    Jackie, toward the end of my chemo treatment, about the third week after infusion, my hair started trying to peak through the scalp, but when the next infusion came, the stubble fell out again. I think it was a couple of weeks after my last infusion that the "peak" started up again, and that time it continued to grow. Sounds like your hair is striving to revive itself, and each time gets kicked back by the chemo. I didn't do anything about the stubble, but just let it grow as it wished. Now I have hair about 2 inches long, all even, and a slight bit darker than my normal color. I am now six months out of chemo treatment. While on radiation, my hair was not affected at all, but did grow slowly. Rads ended in October, and have seen a lot of growth since then. Everyone has a different progression with hair growth, and hope everyones comes back just like you want it. As far as headaches with the wig, I tossed my wig as soon as the slightest bit of cover was back on my hair. The wigs caused me headaches, and were awkward, so chose to lose it as soon as I could. If people want to stare, so be it...they don't have to endure the pain involved with wigs, so they surely can't comprehend how we can feel comfortable being just who we are....no cover ups! Do what makes you feel good....my favorite motto. Hugs,

Judy
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    rjjj said:

just wondering..
    Thanx
    Jackie

Jackie: Mine started
    Jackie: Mine started growing back in after my first shave. It was a peachy fuzz of stubble, but nonetheless, it was trying to grow back. I left it alone and just had the fuzz until it started growing back in full force. It took a couple of trips to the salon before it was shaped and it started growing in enough to get it styled. Hugs, Lili