Question on Zometa if anyone has taken it.

Options
survivor51
survivor51 Member Posts: 276
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hey Sisters,
For those of you that know me, apparently I am a good candidate to take the IV with Zometa. It takes 30 minutes to give through the vein and is suppose to help with bone cancer damage. It is suppose to help strengthen the bones for less damage. Has anyone taken this and if yes, how often and any side effects or success? Angela

Comments

• ohilly
    ohilly Member Posts: 441
    Options
    Zometa
    Hi, Angela. I am a clinical trial where I take Zometa (they think it will make the bone hostile to cancer and prevent recurrence in early stage bc). I will be in the trial for three years. For six months I had to get an IV infusion lasting a half hour every month, now I am down to getting the infusion every 3 months for the remainder of the three years. I have experienced no side effects from taking this drug at all except for the first time I felt a little 'fluey' after the injection. So far, so good. It seems that more and more is coming out about how much this drug helps, so I would encourage you to do it.

Write if you have other questions.

Ohilly
  • survivor51
    Options
    ohilly said:

Zometa
    Hi, Angela. I am a clinical trial where I take Zometa (they think it will make the bone hostile to cancer and prevent recurrence in early stage bc). I will be in the trial for three years. For six months I had to get an IV infusion lasting a half hour every month, now I am down to getting the infusion every 3 months for the remainder of the three years. I have experienced no side effects from taking this drug at all except for the first time I felt a little 'fluey' after the injection. So far, so good. It seems that more and more is coming out about how much this drug helps, so I would encourage you to do it.

Write if you have other questions.

Ohilly

Glad to hear from you
    I think the plans are to get the IV taking 30 minutes at 6 month intervals. They have not said every month. The information you give about the bone hostile to cancer sounds good to me. I will be 1.5 years after chemo and the effects of Arimidex is bad but not as bad as I had planed. Just makes me feel old and creekie. I'm glad to hear that it has worked for you in the positive. I am HR+ and PR+ and post menap. My white cell counts are below the normal mark and my liver counts are in the 70's. I find that I am tired a lot but my sleeping is better with sleeping pills. Overall I feel pretty good. Keep me up with any news about this drug and I'll do the same. Angela
  • ohilly
    ohilly Member Posts: 441
    Options

Glad to hear from you
    I think the plans are to get the IV taking 30 minutes at 6 month intervals. They have not said every month. The information you give about the bone hostile to cancer sounds good to me. I will be 1.5 years after chemo and the effects of Arimidex is bad but not as bad as I had planed. Just makes me feel old and creekie. I'm glad to hear that it has worked for you in the positive. I am HR+ and PR+ and post menap. My white cell counts are below the normal mark and my liver counts are in the 70's. I find that I am tired a lot but my sleeping is better with sleeping pills. Overall I feel pretty good. Keep me up with any news about this drug and I'll do the same. Angela

hair loss
    After telling you I had virtually no side effects from the Zometa, I am now suspicious that this might be what is causing my hair to grow in thin after chemo. I am going to call the company and ask about it and ask my onc at my next appointment. But did anyone mention hair thinning or loss to you as a possible side effect from Zometa?

Ohilly
  • survivor51
    Options
    ohilly said:

hair loss
    After telling you I had virtually no side effects from the Zometa, I am now suspicious that this might be what is causing my hair to grow in thin after chemo. I am going to call the company and ask about it and ask my onc at my next appointment. But did anyone mention hair thinning or loss to you as a possible side effect from Zometa?

Ohilly

questioning
    No that was not a side effect. Did you loose your hair with the Zometa or from the Chemo? I did lose all my hair with the chemo but it has now grown back really full. Did you begin Zometa right after the chemo or has it been a while and your hair has been thinning out since the Zometa? I do know that I am very tired and my bones just plain hurt. Angela