Young mother of 3,stage3, chemo,radiation now, 12 more weeks of chemo

tina32
tina32 Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I was diagnosed back in Oct. 08 with IDC with sarcoma features. I did two cycles of chemo which did not go well cancer continued to progress. I had surgery in 1/5/08 with radical mastectomy (6.5cm in size) and 21 lymph nodes removed. All were node negative. I am currently undergoing radiation with 3 weeks in. I have to undergo 12 weeks of chemo after completion of radiation. I asked my prognosis on Friday and was given a 70-80% chance but this is not set in stone b/c of my type of cancer as well as my age of 32(31 when I first found lump). I am hoping for any advice or help from any and everyone especially those who have this type. It is scary because this type is so rare and reacts differently than other breast cancer. I also want to say to all of you I will keep everyone in my prayers because we are now a family because of this terrible illness but we will conquer it.

Comments

• Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Hi, sorry you have to endure
    Hi, sorry you have to endure this. You sais your tumor had sarcoma features. Ive never heard of breast cancer w/this chracteristic. You did not mention hormone receptor or her2 status.
  • tina32
    Eil4186 said:

Hi, sorry you have to endure
    Hi, sorry you have to endure this. You sais your tumor had sarcoma features. Ive never heard of breast cancer w/this chracteristic. You did not mention hormone receptor or her2 status.

status!!
    Yes it has sarcoma features which is what makes it a rare type. This is the type of cancer mostly seen in the extremities from what I understand of it. As far as my receptor status was estrogen neg and progesterone positive and neg for Her-2. It is hard to find any information about this cancer everything is based on experiments or followups but nothing to help really understand it completely. I can read some of that stuff easily but then it gets tricky.
  • EveningStar2
    EveningStar2 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Different Type

I can't help with information on your type of cancer but I just wanted to say to hang in there, I have had 9 radiation treatments, no chemo but you never know what is around the corner as we all know. It could be something good! We're in this together.

Maureen
  • tina32

Different Type

I can't help with information on your type of cancer but I just wanted to say to hang in there, I have had 9 radiation treatments, no chemo but you never know what is around the corner as we all know. It could be something good! We're in this together.

Maureen

Thank you!!
    I really appreciate that and I want you to do continue to do the same. I have a total of 30 treatments with 15 more to go. I am not looking forward to more chemo though hair has grown back to cover my head but can't get excited because it may come right back out once this new tx starts. I also hate the side effects of peripheral neuropathy that may accompany it. I am really getting tired of this and know I must stay positive for myself as well as my children. I am so scared for my 9 year old daughter as I am the only one that I know of dx and a young age and hope this doesn't happen to her.
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Tina, so sorry you are going
    Tina, so sorry you are going through this I was also diagnosed with IDC but didn't have sarcoma features. They did tell me my type of tumor had a 50% chance of recurrence, so I also had a radical mastectomy. Went through 8 rounds of CAF and I hope and pray that it doesn't recur. There isn't much that I can add but know you will be in my prayers. I have not heard of your type of cancer, but there have been many advancements in cancer treatment especially breast. Are you anywhere near a university hospital or any of the major cancer centers? They may be able to give you more information. You can also google the Mayo Clinic, they have a lot of info on all types of cancers on their web page. Keep us posted. Hugs, Lili
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Young cancer
    Hi Tina,

I am also a young woman with breast cancer (age 34). I have IDC, stage 2a with no lymph node involvement. I am also ER negative. I don't know anything about sarcoma features of breast cancer. Can your doctor give you some material to read about this particular type of breast cancer? Or at least explain it to you in detail? Often, the unknown is scarier. You have things going for you: no lymph node involvement is great, and you are PR positive, which opens up more possibilities for treatment.

Tina, have you been on sites for younger women with breast cancer? There is a wealth of information out there and many women our age who are dealing with the particular issues of young cancer.

Mimi
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    (((((HUGS))))))))
    I did not have your cancer type, nor am I your age, but I certainly want to send healing thoughts and Kindred Spirit hugs in general to you.

Hugs,
    Claudia