Adriamycin and Heart Damage

Options
2»

Comments

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    Options

Adriamycim use in large doses causes heart damage.

My wife was given large doses of Adriamycin back in 1993 and did survive but with long term side effects. Not knowing why she had shortness of breath, coughing and weakness for most of the 20 years she survived. She did get cured of breast cancer on the positive side but other drugs and treatment were known to do the same. Her quality of life was poor while still being extended. Knowing all this I'm conflicted with this. I did get to be with my loving wife for a long time but with greatly reduced ability to enjoy each day. I'm sorry more options were not presented and explored before such a damaging treatment was used. She had a full mastectomy with limp node removals. Not a word was ever said about heart damage when the treatment was presented and used. Now after it was too late we were told 3 weeks ago and she lost her battle 05/28/2015 after only 3 weeks of knowing she was loosing her battle. I'm happy I had her for so long but angrey we were not fully informed.

Sorry for Your Loss

Very sorry for your loss.  Know you are angry and totally understand .... Grief is a process of Anger, Sadness, Sorrow, and so many other things....we send you our Prayers for Peace and hope you will find a measure of it over the coming days.

• Lyricw9
    Lyricw9 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    pat26a said:

adriamycin toxicity
    Just want to make others aware of this. My mom finished treatment 2 months ago (NHL). The other night she was taken to er in congestive heart failure. While in er they did 2 ekgs and an echo. BOTH ekgs were normal, but the echo showed significant weakness of the heart. Please don't assume that normal ekgs mean that everything is ok. If you are symtomatic, request further testing. Also, her echo from before treatment was normal, pretty much proving the heart damage was caused by adriamycin used in chemotherapy. Wish you brave survivors all the best.

Have heart failure because of Adriamycin

This just happened to me after being treated for breast cancer 9 years ago and given Adriamycin as one of my chemo drugs the cancer that I thought was gone has matastisized to my bones. Now to cap it off I had to go to the ER because of swollen ankles and shortness of breath. They didn’t really find anything in the hospital except one blood test that Indicated I might have the beginnings of heart failure but they didn’t reccommend I follow up with a cardiologist. Thank God a woman who is the Director of a cancer org. Here refferred me to a great cardiologist who gave me a test called a Muga Scan. He had the machine. Some places don’t but you need that test. He said I had heart failure courtesy of the Adriamycin I took 9 years ago.  He gave mea beta blocker to slow down my heart but has left me incredibly fatigued. Can’t even walk across a parking lot without getting short of breath.  Tomorrow I haveanother appointment to talk about other options that might help me feel less fatigued. It’s definitely a bummer that the chemo did this. I highly recommend your mother get a really good cardiologist and a Muga Scan. Good luck. Let me know how it goes. I send prayers your way. 

• BadCatz
    BadCatz Member Posts: 5 Member
    edited February 2021 #24
    Options
    Heart Damage
    • I am experiencing heart damage.  I was in chemo for five months. 25 radiations.  So it is hard to say what did it.  Six years out of treatment.  However I may be having a reoccurence.  Awaiting biopies and hoping for good results.   They also say Taxol will cause heart damage.  The bottom chambers of my heart are not functioning fully.  Had an echo, getting a stress test and the angiogram then they will decide on surgery...or not.
  • BadCatz
    BadCatz Member Posts: 5 Member
    edited February 2021 #25
    Options

Adriamycim use in large doses causes heart damage.

My wife was given large doses of Adriamycin back in 1993 and did survive but with long term side effects. Not knowing why she had shortness of breath, coughing and weakness for most of the 20 years she survived. She did get cured of breast cancer on the positive side but other drugs and treatment were known to do the same. Her quality of life was poor while still being extended. Knowing all this I'm conflicted with this. I did get to be with my loving wife for a long time but with greatly reduced ability to enjoy each day. I'm sorry more options were not presented and explored before such a damaging treatment was used. She had a full mastectomy with limp node removals. Not a word was ever said about heart damage when the treatment was presented and used. Now after it was too late we were told 3 weeks ago and she lost her battle 05/28/2015 after only 3 weeks of knowing she was loosing her battle. I'm happy I had her for so long but angrey we were not fully informed.

Sorry for your loss

I do think decisions have to be made quickly when dx'ed.  We do what we think is best not thinking of long term damage.  There have been many issues reported after treatments that go unanswered.  It is a rough road to travel.  I am so sorry for you loss.  I look at it as I have gotten six years I would not of had if I had chosen not to do chemo/radiation.  No much choice in the matter, that is for sure.

• CMC123
    CMC123 Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2021 #26
    Options
    Yes

I have had mitral valve prolapse my whole life. It was never a problem. I had taxotere and adriamycin in 2014 without anyone checking on or saying anything about my heart. After chemo. I was plced on an AI. Then in 2018 or 2019 I went on vacation and found that I couldn't walk up a hill without struggling for breath. According to my new cardiologist I was just fine fine fine fine every time I saw him, until all of a sudden a few months ago, he claimed I may need open-heart surgery. I'm getting a second opinion, but my feeling is that not only did chemo damage my heart, but the aromatase inhibitor that I have been on for seven years has also damaged my heart. I've been on it seven years and I have come to the conclusion that that's enough time because most women die of cardiac problems not breast cancer. Fingers crossed, but what a shame that these are our choices.