Options
2»

Comments

• mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Lisak said:

I've gained and it seems
    I've gained and it seems like everytime i weigh i keep gaining 2 pounds and each week I'm gaining another 2 pounds. I ask my doctor and she said it was not the cancer... I was scared that maybe a mass is back and it was big. I am at least 40 pound larger then when I started chemo.

WEIGHT GAIN
    Well, as you can see most of us gain during chemo. Different reasons - the steroids, etc. But I believe another major reason is what your body is going through. Let's face it, you are putting major chemicals into your body and it puts you through an enormous amount of stress. That puts a load on your adrenal glands, etc., which increases your cortisol levels too. Anyway, technical part aside, it's not about eating. In fact, we tend to eat less while we're on chemo which slows our metabolism down anyway.

Here I am, nearly 3 years after my recurrance and I still can't get rid of this weight. I found out last year that my thyroid is virtually non-existent. I've had CT scans with TRIPLE contrast for the last 9 years, at least every 3-6 months. So apparently, my thyroid is not working. I do take Armour Thyroid, but it's such a tiny amount. I'm hoping it will be increased soon. I eat a very, very healthy diet, exercise too. It seems I have to work so much harder than most people, including the fact that I'm 54 and that's just common as you get older. Anyway, I am so grateful I am not fighting this horrible disease, but I know that getting rid of this fat is a huge part of being healthy. So, I continue trying. I just can't afford to keep buying different clothes every week!

Hope you find something that works for you.

Luv, hugs, prayers,
    Monika
  • Dreamdove
    Dreamdove Member Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    mopar said:

WEIGHT GAIN
    Well, as you can see most of us gain during chemo. Different reasons - the steroids, etc. But I believe another major reason is what your body is going through. Let's face it, you are putting major chemicals into your body and it puts you through an enormous amount of stress. That puts a load on your adrenal glands, etc., which increases your cortisol levels too. Anyway, technical part aside, it's not about eating. In fact, we tend to eat less while we're on chemo which slows our metabolism down anyway.

Here I am, nearly 3 years after my recurrance and I still can't get rid of this weight. I found out last year that my thyroid is virtually non-existent. I've had CT scans with TRIPLE contrast for the last 9 years, at least every 3-6 months. So apparently, my thyroid is not working. I do take Armour Thyroid, but it's such a tiny amount. I'm hoping it will be increased soon. I eat a very, very healthy diet, exercise too. It seems I have to work so much harder than most people, including the fact that I'm 54 and that's just common as you get older. Anyway, I am so grateful I am not fighting this horrible disease, but I know that getting rid of this fat is a huge part of being healthy. So, I continue trying. I just can't afford to keep buying different clothes every week!

Hope you find something that works for you.

Luv, hugs, prayers,
    Monika

My Tips
    My tips: 1. Never eat in the evening. Dinner should be your last meal though you can chew gum or have some herbal tea. 2. Avoid anything containing high fruitose corn syrup, hygrogenated oil or artificial sweetners. 3. Get some form of exercise nearly every day, even if just stepping up and down on a stool. I prefer walking when the weather is good. 4. Count out your portions; don't eat out of a bag or a box. If the serving size says 2 cookies, pull them out and that's what you eat. 5. Watch highly salted foods--you don't need that much. I use sea salt for cooking. 6. Have all your meals, including breakfast--it doesn't have to be big but something healthy preferably. 7. Don't worry about the calories in fruits and vegetables. 8. Don't eat much ice cream, cakes, bars, brownies, donuts--very small portions for these snacks. 9. Don't eat more than you can burn off. 10. You don't need special diet foods; never put yourself on a diet. You will just sabotage yourself. 11. Alot of chemical flavorings in foods cause food cravings--look at labels, msg and all that stuff. Note: These are things that work for me. I never had a weight problem but went thru menopause and packed on a few, which I really hated. I finally did something about it by making lifestyle changes. Then I had chemo and had to lose a few as well. Everybody can lose weight. Look at "Biggest Loser." They all lose weight no matter their body type or genetics. With a rare exception, most older women have to watch what they eat, even the thin ones. You should never feel full after you eat. That's too much food; you'll never burn it off. You should just be somewhat satisfied and comfortable after a meal.
  • froggy1
    froggy1 Member Posts: 205
    Options
    Dreamdove said:

My Tips
    My tips: 1. Never eat in the evening. Dinner should be your last meal though you can chew gum or have some herbal tea. 2. Avoid anything containing high fruitose corn syrup, hygrogenated oil or artificial sweetners. 3. Get some form of exercise nearly every day, even if just stepping up and down on a stool. I prefer walking when the weather is good. 4. Count out your portions; don't eat out of a bag or a box. If the serving size says 2 cookies, pull them out and that's what you eat. 5. Watch highly salted foods--you don't need that much. I use sea salt for cooking. 6. Have all your meals, including breakfast--it doesn't have to be big but something healthy preferably. 7. Don't worry about the calories in fruits and vegetables. 8. Don't eat much ice cream, cakes, bars, brownies, donuts--very small portions for these snacks. 9. Don't eat more than you can burn off. 10. You don't need special diet foods; never put yourself on a diet. You will just sabotage yourself. 11. Alot of chemical flavorings in foods cause food cravings--look at labels, msg and all that stuff. Note: These are things that work for me. I never had a weight problem but went thru menopause and packed on a few, which I really hated. I finally did something about it by making lifestyle changes. Then I had chemo and had to lose a few as well. Everybody can lose weight. Look at "Biggest Loser." They all lose weight no matter their body type or genetics. With a rare exception, most older women have to watch what they eat, even the thin ones. You should never feel full after you eat. That's too much food; you'll never burn it off. You should just be somewhat satisfied and comfortable after a meal.

weight gain
    I have had weight issues all my life and decided when I got THE diagnosis that I wasn't gonna worry about it, SO I tell them to record my weight but don't tell me! I have no idea now what I weigh! I know I did lose after the surgery and the first round of chemo. My clothes got bigger and things that I bought hoping to get into someday fit, it was fun for a little bit!The carbo/taxo really made me sick and I was not able to eat. It seems that all the ladies in my doctor's practice are thin from the chemo. I think I'm the fattest one and I'm probably somewhere in the size 10-12 range.
    I'm starting to like food again, especially the "bad" stuff so I'm gonna try to watch it.
    I have no hair, but nice wigs and people tell me how great I look- how twisted! I get I don't have the chemo-weathered look yet.
    Ginny
  • rasunshine
    rasunshine Member Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    froggy1 said:

weight gain
    I have had weight issues all my life and decided when I got THE diagnosis that I wasn't gonna worry about it, SO I tell them to record my weight but don't tell me! I have no idea now what I weigh! I know I did lose after the surgery and the first round of chemo. My clothes got bigger and things that I bought hoping to get into someday fit, it was fun for a little bit!The carbo/taxo really made me sick and I was not able to eat. It seems that all the ladies in my doctor's practice are thin from the chemo. I think I'm the fattest one and I'm probably somewhere in the size 10-12 range.
    I'm starting to like food again, especially the "bad" stuff so I'm gonna try to watch it.
    I have no hair, but nice wigs and people tell me how great I look- how twisted! I get I don't have the chemo-weathered look yet.
    Ginny

Chemo weathered look??????
    Hey Froggy, if people tell you, you look great , say Thanks, this my Look of Love..No matter if we have Mr.C,or are in remission, we are ladies of COURAGE..Look at yourself in the mirror, and admire the child that God made..Love yourself,, He does, unconditionally..I am not my size 5 but I am ALIVE and that is all that counts..I want my goal of age 105 and I am going to get there..and so will you..Believe and never stop trying...
    Instead of wigs, I used scarves that I found at www.headcovers.com. One for every outfit. Tied them to the side, band up with a bungee and do a really beautiful bow..my scarves were my hair. AND these are big enough that you can really get creative. Carry yourself with self confidence and make a statement with your appearance.."I may have cancer, but I am alive and I love it, and I love you for loving me."

May God hold you in the palm of His hand.
    and always remember...Let the sun shine in.

RASUNSHINE
  • 1trublonde
    1trublonde Member Posts: 18
    Options
    Wieght!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yuk!!!!!
    Yep, I now weigh the same as I did when I had the tumor in me... the only time my ankles,wrists and butt looked thin was about the first 6 weeks after surgery....then the steroids did their job!!!!!!!!!!!!! And probably all the treats I gave myself permission to eat too :-)
  • groundeffect
    groundeffect Member Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I'm a Weight Watchers
    I'm a Weight Watchers Lifetime Member, and I went back to classes just after I finished chemo, with my doctor's approval. I lost 25#, then gained it back, held my post-surgery weight for about two years (while going to WW), then dropped out of WW (again). I've gained weight again, and am trying to lose. I don't think the tamoxifen has helped any, either.

We've all had surgery, and it's little wonder most of us have gained. I've seen friends with recurrent OVCA who have lost weight at an alarming rate, and have been told a little extra can work to your advantage because of the tendancy to lose so much.

Currently I'm getting a lot more exercise and eating more moderately because of the work I'm doing, so I'm going to try to keep it up!
  • Dreamdove
    Dreamdove Member Posts: 175 Member
    Options

I'm a Weight Watchers
    I'm a Weight Watchers Lifetime Member, and I went back to classes just after I finished chemo, with my doctor's approval. I lost 25#, then gained it back, held my post-surgery weight for about two years (while going to WW), then dropped out of WW (again). I've gained weight again, and am trying to lose. I don't think the tamoxifen has helped any, either.

We've all had surgery, and it's little wonder most of us have gained. I've seen friends with recurrent OVCA who have lost weight at an alarming rate, and have been told a little extra can work to your advantage because of the tendancy to lose so much.

Currently I'm getting a lot more exercise and eating more moderately because of the work I'm doing, so I'm going to try to keep it up!

Have to keep that in mind
    I have to keep in mind that it's not such a bad thing to be a few extra pounds while in remission (just a few) because after my surgery 2 years ago I lost 10 lbs. and boy did I look skinny! There was a very wide space between my thighs, I lost whatever little boobs I had, no pants would fit. I hadn't been 106 lbs. in many years. I had been going thru menopause just before my diagnosis and put on a few, but only enough to go up one size in jeans. So that was very rapidly lost during the "starvation diet" at the hospital 6 days. No food for 2 whole days and then after surgery just liquids for 4 days. Eating buttered toast was heaven on the last day of my hospitalization. I ordered 4 slices but could only eat 2. My eyes were bigger than my stomach, apparently. So when I obscess about 1 or 2 lbs. occasionally gained I should keep that in mind. Because if, and I say if, my cancer returns maybe I will be prepared for rapid weight loss if things go bad for me.