Surgery, or not?

Options
Annabelle41415
Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I just called my surgeon's office today to find out when I was to go in to the ostomy nurse to talk about the appliances and to get marked and they have no record of my surgery - I am so bummed. He only is at the hospital one day a week and the nurse told me that he already has two very complicated surgeries scheduled for the day he told me. I heard after 8 weeks after radiation the cancer starts growing back. He leaves after the 26th to go on Easter vacation. I hope something works out here - it's too late to go to another surgeon now. Kim

Comments

• CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Kim....
    That is absolutely horrible and so disheartening! When did this surgeon tell you your surgery date... and had there been a date arranged for you for a pre-admission appt. with the hospital? Does the surgeon book his surgery dates with patients and tell them himself... or does he have a clerk who does that for him?

I would call your oncologist first thing in the morning and tell him/her how depressed you are about this and now you are scared because you have just been sluffed off as if this wasn't important (even if it means putting the guilt trip on all the doctors).

I really and truly don't think you have to worry about the cancer growing back 8 weeks after radiation. First of all, this kind of cancer is extremely slow growing, so the chances of it just showing up again while you are waiting for a surgery date would be extremely rare... unless it's already there and never did leave. Even then, it would not grow in leaps and bounds.

But do call your oncologist first thing in the morning. Was it your oncologist who recommended this surgeon? If so, I'd tell him/her that because of this, you now are not comfortable about this surgeon doing the surgery... you have lost confidence in him and insist on having another surgeon, one who is good and can do your surgery asap!

Hugggggs! Hang in there!

Cheryl
  • lmliess
    lmliess Member Posts: 329
    Options
    Surgeon
    Maybe you should look for a new surgeon? I would be very upset too. As if this all isn't stressful enough. That is very strange that they don't have you scheduled. To me that is very careless on their part and it sounds like they were not sympathetic to your situation. I would call your onc in the morning and explain how awful this is.
    Hang in there!
  • Annabelle41415
    Options

Kim....
    That is absolutely horrible and so disheartening! When did this surgeon tell you your surgery date... and had there been a date arranged for you for a pre-admission appt. with the hospital? Does the surgeon book his surgery dates with patients and tell them himself... or does he have a clerk who does that for him?

I would call your oncologist first thing in the morning and tell him/her how depressed you are about this and now you are scared because you have just been sluffed off as if this wasn't important (even if it means putting the guilt trip on all the doctors).

I really and truly don't think you have to worry about the cancer growing back 8 weeks after radiation. First of all, this kind of cancer is extremely slow growing, so the chances of it just showing up again while you are waiting for a surgery date would be extremely rare... unless it's already there and never did leave. Even then, it would not grow in leaps and bounds.

But do call your oncologist first thing in the morning. Was it your oncologist who recommended this surgeon? If so, I'd tell him/her that because of this, you now are not comfortable about this surgeon doing the surgery... you have lost confidence in him and insist on having another surgeon, one who is good and can do your surgery asap!

Hugggggs! Hang in there!

Cheryl

Surgery
    My radiation oncologist gave me his name and I switched surgeons to go to this one. Surgeon told me I would have a scope on the 20th and surgery on the 26th and then he would be off for the holiday. I like this surgeon very much and don't want to change now, but I am so frustrated. I'm think wow what if I didn't call today, I think I just would have been forgotten. I'm just depressed right now as I want just to get past all this. And now I don't want him to "fit" me in on the 26th because now I know I'll be third in line after two major surgeries. Doesn't make me feel very confident. I will have to wait until tomorrow to find out what they are going to do.

Kim
  • Annabelle41415
    Options
    lmliess said:

Surgeon
    Maybe you should look for a new surgeon? I would be very upset too. As if this all isn't stressful enough. That is very strange that they don't have you scheduled. To me that is very careless on their part and it sounds like they were not sympathetic to your situation. I would call your onc in the morning and explain how awful this is.
    Hang in there!

Surgeon
    Actually I would call my radiation oncologist. My chemo doctor didn't recommend him, my radiation doctor did and I will call. Now I've got a major headache.

Kim
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options

Surgeon
    Actually I would call my radiation oncologist. My chemo doctor didn't recommend him, my radiation doctor did and I will call. Now I've got a major headache.

Kim

That's just wrong
    That's just not right. I'm so sorry this happened to you. I'll be praying a wonderful solution will show itself.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • Kathleen808
    Kathleen808 Member Posts: 2,342 Member
    Options

Surgeon

Kim

so sorry
    Hi Kim,
    I am so sorry that the office has made this mistake. Are you in an area where there might be another excellent surgeon? The most important thing is for you to feel comfortable with the surgeon and timetable. I feel for you and your frustration.
    Praying for you that this will be worked out to your satisfaction.
    Aloha,
    Kathleen
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options
    Wow- what a maddening and
    Wow- what a maddening and frustrating experience! Let us know again when you call your radiation oncologist what he/she recommends you doing & who they recommend you call for the surgery. Depending upon if you're given another referral for a surgeon or not, I think I'd deinitely start seeking another surgeon out on my own. Or else, find out when the very next opening for one is with that current surgeon. Hopefully, he isn't the one who messed up. When I first saw my liver surgeon, he actually took his blackberry out and scheduled my surgery date/time himself- then the nurse followed up a couple of days later to confirm it, etc. I guess as frustrating as it is, it isn't going to help you to get angry- that will just fill you with negative vibes and all the stress that goes along with it- you just don't need that. But calmly and methodically go about pursuing a date with the surgeon if it's not too far off or seek out another surgeon (only one who comes with recommendations from someone else- check out their ratings on the web too).

Best wishes & God's blessings,
    Lisa
  • Annabelle41415
    Options
    Nurse has called
    Nurse has called and said that she spoke to the doctor and he is aware of my surgery he just hasn't got the paperwork to her yet. He is an excellent doctor, but come on. I went to see him on the 17th of February. She told me yesterday that he already has two major surgeries schedule for that day. I just don't want to be a "fit in" and be at the end of the day when he is too darned tired to care, but the nurse said it wasn't unusual for him to schedule this many in one day. At least I'm on the schedule for March 26th. Thank you for all your responses.

Hugs!
    Kim
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    Options
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

OK.....
    ...if he comes and picks me up on his broomstick, I may believe this...