eyebrow regrowth

RebeccaT
RebeccaT Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi, everyone. Thanks so much to all of you for your posts. i haven't posted before but have gotten lots of information and support from you already.

Here's my question - do eyebrows grow back after chemo, and how quickly? My partner Patty had nice think brows that she loved, and now is about 5 weeks post-chemo and they're not growing back. in fact, they have fallen out more since the last chemo. So the question is, what is your experience? will they return if we're patient?

thanks all,
Rebecca
«1

Comments

  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Eyebrows
    Hey mine did the same, fell out even more after chemo, I had no eyelashes or eyebrows, then about 3 weeks later it all came back, eyelashes are now lovely and thick and long, the brows have been a little slower but at least I don't have to pluck them as often. Hope this helps. J xxxxxxxxxx
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143
    tasha_111 said:

    Eyebrows
    Hey mine did the same, fell out even more after chemo, I had no eyelashes or eyebrows, then about 3 weeks later it all came back, eyelashes are now lovely and thick and long, the brows have been a little slower but at least I don't have to pluck them as often. Hope this helps. J xxxxxxxxxx

    Brows and lashes
    Encouraging to hear, Julia. My lashes are fast falling out, too.
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    mimivac said:

    Brows and lashes
    Encouraging to hear, Julia. My lashes are fast falling out, too.

    Facial Hair
    Awwwww. Mimi, I know how you feel, they do grow back mighty quick though, and you'll soon be looking a feeling great again! Big Hug Jxxxxxxxxx
  • Derbygirl
    Derbygirl Member Posts: 198
    Yes, brows and lashes will
    Yes, brows and lashes will regrow. Mine started thinning AFTER chemo. Eyelashes were completely gone 8 weeks post chemo; eyebrows were thin. Within 4 to 6 weeks both were back to normal. I hope you have as much luck!
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Derbygirl said:

    Yes, brows and lashes will
    Yes, brows and lashes will regrow. Mine started thinning AFTER chemo. Eyelashes were completely gone 8 weeks post chemo; eyebrows were thin. Within 4 to 6 weeks both were back to normal. I hope you have as much luck!

    still there
    i was hoping that mine wouldn't go since i still have them and am half-way through chemo. is it common to lose them after tx? or do some keep them?
    jackie
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    rjjj said:

    still there
    i was hoping that mine wouldn't go since i still have them and am half-way through chemo. is it common to lose them after tx? or do some keep them?
    jackie

    Mine started thinning out
    Mine started thinning out towards the end of my treatments. My eyebrows were fine but I hardly had any eyelashes left. They did grow back quickly after my last chemo. It took about 6 weeks. HUgs, Lili
  • Joycelouise
    Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
    My eyebrows and lashes hung
    My eyebrows and lashes hung in there till the taxotere and then they thinned dramatically, with just a few hairs to guide my eyebrow pencil and only two lashes that just didn't look good with mascara (like a pin cushion with only two pins in it!) Anyway, yes, they came back. At first, the lashes came in better (!) than before, but then lessened to my pre BC regular set. But, every morning now (its been a year) when I put on mascara, I am grateful. Back when they first started growing in I tryed to put mascara on and ended up moving in closer and closer to get to them till I "stabbed" myself in the eye with the wand. I got a mascara from L'Oreal that had a little tiny wand. My brows are at about normal. I did learn a lot of make up skills from the days when I had to make my blank eyes try to look like something, and now I am a much better make up artist. I went to Nordstrom's and got a make-up job, which I had always sworn I would never do (you know, sit in that chair while all the shoppers pass by). But I loved it, and learned a lot. Oh, I also spent alot....but it was worth it. Maybe you can go together. Another kind of fun thing is actually telling the salesgirl that I had chemo and letting her fuss. Sometimes it is comforting to have an absolute stranger give us some understanding.
    love, Joyce
  • Joycelouise
    Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
    My eyebrows and lashes hung
    My eyebrows and lashes hung in there till the taxotere and then they thinned dramatically, with just a few hairs to guide my eyebrow pencil and only two lashes that just didn't look good with mascara (like a pin cushion with only two pins in it!) Anyway, yes, they came back. At first, the lashes came in better (!) than before, but then lessened to my pre BC regular set. But, every morning now (its been a year) when I put on mascara, I am grateful. Back when they first started growing in I tryed to put mascara on and ended up moving in closer and closer to get to them till I "stabbed" myself in the eye with the wand. I got a mascara from L'Oreal that had a little tiny wand. My brows are at about normal. I did learn a lot of make up skills from the days when I had to make my blank eyes try to look like something, and now I am a much better make up artist. I went to Nordstrom's and got a make-up job, which I had always sworn I would never do (you know, sit in that chair while all the shoppers pass by). But I loved it, and learned a lot. Oh, I also spent alot....but it was worth it. Maybe you can go together. Another kind of fun thing is actually telling the salesgirl that I had chemo and letting her fuss. Sometimes it is comforting to have an absolute stranger give us some understanding.
    love, Joyce
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Hi Rebecca
    Hi Rebecca,

    My eyebrows and eye lashes didn't fall out completely until after I had finished my last chemo.
    It's now about 9 weeks later and they are both coming back in. In fact, my eyebrows are coming in thicker...not sure if that's a good thing! LOL!!

    CR
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member

    My eyebrows and lashes hung
    My eyebrows and lashes hung in there till the taxotere and then they thinned dramatically, with just a few hairs to guide my eyebrow pencil and only two lashes that just didn't look good with mascara (like a pin cushion with only two pins in it!) Anyway, yes, they came back. At first, the lashes came in better (!) than before, but then lessened to my pre BC regular set. But, every morning now (its been a year) when I put on mascara, I am grateful. Back when they first started growing in I tryed to put mascara on and ended up moving in closer and closer to get to them till I "stabbed" myself in the eye with the wand. I got a mascara from L'Oreal that had a little tiny wand. My brows are at about normal. I did learn a lot of make up skills from the days when I had to make my blank eyes try to look like something, and now I am a much better make up artist. I went to Nordstrom's and got a make-up job, which I had always sworn I would never do (you know, sit in that chair while all the shoppers pass by). But I loved it, and learned a lot. Oh, I also spent alot....but it was worth it. Maybe you can go together. Another kind of fun thing is actually telling the salesgirl that I had chemo and letting her fuss. Sometimes it is comforting to have an absolute stranger give us some understanding.
    love, Joyce

    Crushed
    Like Jackie, I still have eyebrows after 3 treatments, and I thought this meant that they would stay... I am wailing now. I have the unsteadiest hand--the spectre of drawing my own eyebrows is scary. Joe teases me about avoiding unibrow. Oh well, maybe the anti-anxiety med will help there, too.

    Great question, Rebecca, and thanks everyone for responding. At least now I know and have time to work on my drawing skills! Thanks, Joyce, for the make-up visit suggestion. It sounds like a really good idea and fun, too.
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143
    Moopy23 said:

    Crushed
    Like Jackie, I still have eyebrows after 3 treatments, and I thought this meant that they would stay... I am wailing now. I have the unsteadiest hand--the spectre of drawing my own eyebrows is scary. Joe teases me about avoiding unibrow. Oh well, maybe the anti-anxiety med will help there, too.

    Great question, Rebecca, and thanks everyone for responding. At least now I know and have time to work on my drawing skills! Thanks, Joyce, for the make-up visit suggestion. It sounds like a really good idea and fun, too.

    Brows and lashes
    Well, Moopy, they may still stay. Mine are thinning for sure, but still hanging on. I always cursed the hairness that I inherited, but it might actually come in handy here. You know what I hate? The thought of symptoms AFTER chemo ends. Jeez. Can't we just be done with it and all its evil side effects after treatment? I know that losing eyebrows and lashes are certainly not the worst that can happen with chemo, but all these little reminders has me steamed.

    Mimi
  • Derbygirl
    Derbygirl Member Posts: 198
    I can relate to some of
    I can relate to some of Joyce's story especially the pin-cushion look. Unfortunately, loss of eyebrows and eyelashes is one of those daily reminders (just like loss of hair on our heads) of what we're going through. The good news is that brows and lashes regrew fast. Wish the hair on my head would grow as fast! In the meantime I depended on the Clinique Rep to lead the way. She suggested using two colors of eyebrow pencils (lighter nd darker than my natural) and draw upward strokes. No straight pencil lines, please! For the eyelashes I used pencil eyeliner close to the lash line to give a fuller appearance. I tried false eyelashes, but at one point didn't have lashes to adhere to (that's kind of important!). Also there are hair salons that offer false lashes that last up to 4 weeks but they are costly. This is one more bump in the road that you will survive. Good luck.
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    mimivac said:

    Brows and lashes
    Well, Moopy, they may still stay. Mine are thinning for sure, but still hanging on. I always cursed the hairness that I inherited, but it might actually come in handy here. You know what I hate? The thought of symptoms AFTER chemo ends. Jeez. Can't we just be done with it and all its evil side effects after treatment? I know that losing eyebrows and lashes are certainly not the worst that can happen with chemo, but all these little reminders has me steamed.

    Mimi

    Hairness and After
    Now that you mention it, I have always had more than my share of hair,too-very thick and growing everywhere, needing waxing regularly. My hair stylist always said I had enough hair on my head for two people. So, maybe our hairness will work for us this time. Thanks for giving me hope(you are very good at that, Mimi). Either way, thanks to my sisters here, I will be ready.

    It IS frustrating that side effects happen even after we are done with treatments. Reminders we do not want. Is there a day that you suddenly realize you haven't had side effects in awhile and you know it's over? When does that happen?
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    mimivac said:

    Brows and lashes
    Well, Moopy, they may still stay. Mine are thinning for sure, but still hanging on. I always cursed the hairness that I inherited, but it might actually come in handy here. You know what I hate? The thought of symptoms AFTER chemo ends. Jeez. Can't we just be done with it and all its evil side effects after treatment? I know that losing eyebrows and lashes are certainly not the worst that can happen with chemo, but all these little reminders has me steamed.

    Mimi

    moderator please delete this one
    oops... double-posted this... That'll teach me to type with a whining Beagle/Dachshund mix at my feet!

    Sorry!
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Moopy23 said:

    Hairness and After
    Now that you mention it, I have always had more than my share of hair,too-very thick and growing everywhere, needing waxing regularly. My hair stylist always said I had enough hair on my head for two people. So, maybe our hairness will work for us this time. Thanks for giving me hope(you are very good at that, Mimi). Either way, thanks to my sisters here, I will be ready.

    It IS frustrating that side effects happen even after we are done with treatments. Reminders we do not want. Is there a day that you suddenly realize you haven't had side effects in awhile and you know it's over? When does that happen?

    I am a hairy one also
    Thats why i thought it might not happen. i know this is wishful thinking. My how things change..i was always plucking and waxing and also getting rid of those stupid chin hairs. now i'm trying to hang on to them (not the chin hairs!) I have also fooled myself into thinking my hair is growing back. since there are little stubbles growing back. I like to press on them they feel like bubble wrap. is this common?

    It will be a happy day when side effects are gone Moopy..but also i know we will always have the dreadful proof of our CA after all we are all missing a breast. I dream of reconstruction and being whole again, and know that i have to learn that this is now part of who i am and IT SUCKS. I guess i have to find the positives in all of this such as becoming a better more compassionate person, not taking life and loved ones for granted, and a enhanced relationship with God and my spirituality. It is still overwhelming and depressing but i am hoping i will get to a place of acceptance.

    I think losing eyebrows and lashes will also be traumatic for me. since i've always considered my eyes to be one of my best features as i'm sure most of us have. I am just so thankful i have all of you to express my concerns with. It makes it not so scary and depressing........Thank you sisters!
    God Bless
    Jackie
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143
    rjjj said:

    I am a hairy one also
    Thats why i thought it might not happen. i know this is wishful thinking. My how things change..i was always plucking and waxing and also getting rid of those stupid chin hairs. now i'm trying to hang on to them (not the chin hairs!) I have also fooled myself into thinking my hair is growing back. since there are little stubbles growing back. I like to press on them they feel like bubble wrap. is this common?

    It will be a happy day when side effects are gone Moopy..but also i know we will always have the dreadful proof of our CA after all we are all missing a breast. I dream of reconstruction and being whole again, and know that i have to learn that this is now part of who i am and IT SUCKS. I guess i have to find the positives in all of this such as becoming a better more compassionate person, not taking life and loved ones for granted, and a enhanced relationship with God and my spirituality. It is still overwhelming and depressing but i am hoping i will get to a place of acceptance.

    I think losing eyebrows and lashes will also be traumatic for me. since i've always considered my eyes to be one of my best features as i'm sure most of us have. I am just so thankful i have all of you to express my concerns with. It makes it not so scary and depressing........Thank you sisters!
    God Bless
    Jackie

    Chin hairs!
    I just had a funny image of you trying to groom and cultivate chin hairs, Jackie! I had my share pre-chemo, too, and definitely do not want to see them cropping up again. With my luck, I will grow all chin and upper lip hairs and no head hairs. I have the stubble on my head, too. I have also fooled myself into thinking that my hair is growing back. I absolutely cannot wait to have hair again. I'm dreaming of growing long, luxurious hair like the women in shampoo commercials.

    I love commiserating with you wonderful women. You're right, Jackie, it makes it less scary and depressing to know that you are not alone. We can even laugh on occasion.
  • CrystalW
    CrystalW Member Posts: 31
    Brows and lashes
    I think everyone has different experiences with this. My lashes were long and think (never had to where mascara and was the envy of all my friends) but when they grew back, not so long and definately not thick. That bummed me out. My brows , on the other hand, prior to chemo where thick and bushey (had to pluck all the time, particularly to avoid the unabrow look)they came back fairly scarce, which I can't complain about. I haven't had to pluck them in 7 years. The hair on my legs doesn't seem to grow as quickly either and it is sparce as well. So like I said I think everyone has different experiences, it just all depends. Be patient and see what she gets...Crystal
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Hi, My eyebrows and lashes
    Hi, My eyebrows and lashes did grow back but kind of slowly. The brows more slowly and never did come back as thick as they were.
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    CrystalW said:

    Brows and lashes
    I think everyone has different experiences with this. My lashes were long and think (never had to where mascara and was the envy of all my friends) but when they grew back, not so long and definately not thick. That bummed me out. My brows , on the other hand, prior to chemo where thick and bushey (had to pluck all the time, particularly to avoid the unabrow look)they came back fairly scarce, which I can't complain about. I haven't had to pluck them in 7 years. The hair on my legs doesn't seem to grow as quickly either and it is sparce as well. So like I said I think everyone has different experiences, it just all depends. Be patient and see what she gets...Crystal

    My leg hair too is much
    My leg hair too is much sparser than before the treatment---which is good because I used to shave in the morning and have a 5 oclock shadow later!
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Eil4186 said:

    Hi, My eyebrows and lashes
    Hi, My eyebrows and lashes did grow back but kind of slowly. The brows more slowly and never did come back as thick as they were.

    Hairy Legs
    My hairy legs are growing back at an alarming rate, I look like a Clydesdale horse! I'm not shaving though, they are my winter insulation LOL