gas and then......oooppss

Options
johnnybegood
johnnybegood Member Posts: 1,117 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
well,i hate discussing this but here goes,i had my iliostomy reversal 4 weeks ago since then had followup visit with surgen.i told him i was having several bm a day which were small in quantity.he told me to get fibercon and have 25 mg of fiber a day to bulk my stool up. the only fibercon i can find is in pill form with way to many mg and it says it is a bulk forming laxative.i dont need a laxative!!! i have been taking benefiber for 2 days and is not helping. when i pass gas during the day i find myself running to the bathroom for fear of an accident. at night i am having to wear a pad because when i relax and fall asleep the darn stuff is not bulked up and just seeps out on its own,maybe i havent given the benefiber enough time,the fibercon gave me excrutiating gas pains.does anyone else have this bulking problem or have any sugesstions.thanks....and God bless....johnnybegood

Comments

• Denise1966
    Denise1966 Member Posts: 90
    Options
    fiber
    After my reversal, I started taking Citrucel once a day for the "bulking up" and I've stuck with it ever since (my reversal was in August), it doesn't give me the gassy feeling like metamucil and benefiber did. I know everyone's different, but you have to try everything and see what works for you. When I have my bad days I take some immodium to slow everything down and give myself a good nights sleep. It takes awhile, but it'll get better.
    Hugs,
    Denise
  • johnnybegood
    Options

fiber
    After my reversal, I started taking Citrucel once a day for the "bulking up" and I've stuck with it ever since (my reversal was in August), it doesn't give me the gassy feeling like metamucil and benefiber did. I know everyone's different, but you have to try everything and see what works for you. When I have my bad days I take some immodium to slow everything down and give myself a good nights sleep. It takes awhile, but it'll get better.
    Hugs,
    Denise

thanks
    Denise thanks for the input. i kinda figured it is a trial and error thing what works for one may not work for another feel so helpless until my plumbing starts working.hope you have a good day God bless....johnnybegood
  • thanks
    Denise thanks for the input. i kinda figured it is a trial and error thing what works for one may not work for another feel so helpless until my plumbing starts working.hope you have a good day God bless....johnnybegood

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • PamPam2
    PamPam2 Member Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    bulk
    Hi Jonnie
    I use the ground flax seed. It is very good for your bowels and is natural. You can put it on your food, 1 tablespoon a day, bake with it, I just put mine in some water and drink/chew it, it tastes good. They have it at wall mart in the food section. I get mine from natural food store, it is on the internet too and can order it there. omega brand. I have been using it since I was put back together 3 years ago.
    Pam
  • johnnybegood
    Options
    PamPam2 said:

bulk
    Hi Jonnie
    I use the ground flax seed. It is very good for your bowels and is natural. You can put it on your food, 1 tablespoon a day, bake with it, I just put mine in some water and drink/chew it, it tastes good. They have it at wall mart in the food section. I get mine from natural food store, it is on the internet too and can order it there. omega brand. I have been using it since I was put back together 3 years ago.
    Pam

good
    thanks nanab and pam love bananas and would like to try flax seed,sometimes i feel like we are all pilled to death, i would like to try changing my habits with more natural things.it sure cant hurt.i guess that is all part of our new normal God bless.....johnnybegood
  • irene77
    irene77 Member Posts: 28
    Options

good
    thanks nanab and pam love bananas and would like to try flax seed,sometimes i feel like we are all pilled to death, i would like to try changing my habits with more natural things.it sure cant hurt.i guess that is all part of our new normal God bless.....johnnybegood

same problem
    Hi Johnny
    have the same problem was up since 3am this morning took 2 imodium did not work also took another one next time, seems to be working now I do not want to eat. Will go back on the brat diet, that always solves the problem. Bananas, toast,and rice. I am also sick of taking all these pills.
    Praying things will get better
    Irene
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    Options
    irene77 said:

same problem
    Hi Johnny
    have the same problem was up since 3am this morning took 2 imodium did not work also took another one next time, seems to be working now I do not want to eat. Will go back on the brat diet, that always solves the problem. Bananas, toast,and rice. I am also sick of taking all these pills.
    Praying things will get better
    Irene

I think....
    ...most of these pills are causing our BM problems, along with the chemo, I hate taking all these pills as well. But for the constipation, the Miralax in a drink and 2 ex-lax did cause me to go better, and when I had diarrhea, it seemed the Immodium stuffed me up for a couple days! this is literally a pain in the butt, in more ways then one.
  • johnnybegood
    Options
    Shayenne said:

I think....
    ...most of these pills are causing our BM problems, along with the chemo, I hate taking all these pills as well. But for the constipation, the Miralax in a drink and 2 ex-lax did cause me to go better, and when I had diarrhea, it seemed the Immodium stuffed me up for a couple days! this is literally a pain in the butt, in more ways then one.

im not alone
    at least im not the only one having the same problems will try all of your sugestions,its hard trying to get used to this new normal.God bless.......johnnybegood