Mouth sores

Options
catman
catman Member Posts: 17
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Anyone have a good remedy for mouth sores? My Dad is on chemo for lung cancer and his new chemo meds are giving him mouth sores, diarrhea and red itchy bumps. Thanks

Comments

• PamPam2
    PamPam2 Member Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    magic mouthwash
    Ask your cancer doctor for magic mouthwash, it is a prescription and it is magic. It works almost immediately.
    Pam
  • kimby
    kimby Member Posts: 797
    Options
    mouth sores
    The best thing for mouth sores is prevention. Sucking on ice chips during infusion will prevent them from developing.

Kimby
  • pamalama
    pamalama Member Posts: 27
    Options
    mouth sores
    Again the magic mouthwash also boitene tooth paste and try to stay away from highly seasoned and acidic food and liquids. My father in law had head and neck cancer and he had absolutely a terrible time with mouth sores because of the radiation took a toll on his salivary glands. Best of luck.
  • danny64
    danny64 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Sore Mouth
    Try gargle with salt water every few hours, especially before bed & morning.
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options
    PamPam2 said:

magic mouthwash
    Ask your cancer doctor for magic mouthwash, it is a prescription and it is magic. It works almost immediately.
    Pam

Magic Mouthwash
    Everyone swears by it ............
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    Options
    danny64 said:

Sore Mouth
    Try gargle with salt water every few hours, especially before bed & morning.

I actually...
    Got a mouth sore for the first time, all the way in the back of my tooth, which is making my throat feel really sore as well, I been using that Biotene mouthwash and toothpaste, so hopefully, it will help, along with salt water rinses.
  • daydreamer110761
    daydreamer110761 Member Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    kimby said:

mouth sores
    The best thing for mouth sores is prevention. Sucking on ice chips during infusion will prevent them from developing.

Kimby

ice - lol
    once they stick the iv in with the oxi ice is the furthest thing from my mind!

My pharmacist/friend suggested a mixture of maalox and liquid benadryl. the maalox coats and soothes, and the benadryl has the antihystamine, just swishing in the mouth should help. also i was told about gargleing with warm salt water (but i don't like drinking the ocean can't do it). Only got one once, and used super orajel, it helped. Haven't bought the magic mouthwash - heard it was a bit pricey, not sure on that tho.
  • kimby
    kimby Member Posts: 797
    Options

ice - lol
    once they stick the iv in with the oxi ice is the furthest thing from my mind!

My pharmacist/friend suggested a mixture of maalox and liquid benadryl. the maalox coats and soothes, and the benadryl has the antihystamine, just swishing in the mouth should help. also i was told about gargleing with warm salt water (but i don't like drinking the ocean can't do it). Only got one once, and used super orajel, it helped. Haven't bought the magic mouthwash - heard it was a bit pricey, not sure on that tho.

Ice
    You are so right! I totally forgot about the oxiliplaton. That could be a real issue, huh? Not everyone is on oxi, but most start there I think. Sorry for sending you down a painful path!

Kimby
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    mouth sores
    the biotene mouthwash, but also rinsing with hydrogen peroxide really helps to prevent them as well; use a half and half with water if he can't stand it full strength. There is also a prescription paste that is designed to be placed right on the sore and really helps; my dentist prescribed it for me just in case. Triamcinolone Acetonide Dental Paste USP, 0.1%. Is he getting anything for the itchy rash? Sounds like the Erbitux rash that a lot of people here talk about (I haven't had Erbitux) and they say an antibiotic is a MUST! Talk to your father's onc about that as well! Good luck and your father sure is lucky to have you caring for him!
    mary
  • confused1
    confused1 Member Posts: 50
    Options
    Mouth Sores
    I get the mouth sores also. What I use is a precription and it is called Nystatin and all you do is swish it inside your mouth. It takes a few day's to work depending on how bad the sores are. I hope all is going well with u.
    Take Care Colleen Wilkie
  • krystiesq
    krystiesq Member Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    canker patch
    My mom swears by these and she has the magic mouth wash. This creates a gel like coating and lasts for eight hours, keeps the salt out and allows it to heal.

http://www.walgreens.com/search/search_results.jsp?term=canker+patch

FOr some reason I feel compelled to say that I am not endorsing the canker patch or walgreens, I just know how difficult it can be to find over the counter relief. These really work for my mom.