Itchy face

Options
catman
catman Member Posts: 17
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Has anyone out there experienced itching before reaccurance? I have been NED for almost 3 years, had stage 3 colon cancer with 13 positive nodes. Back in 2006 shortly after I finished chemo, I got hives around my belt line. Went to an allergist and he told me that sometimes when a disease tries to return, people will get hives. Scared the crap out of me. I told this to my primary and he never heard of it but when I told my oncol he wasn't surprised. Needless to say, my cancer did not come back but now I am itching around by jaw and under my chin for no reason. No redness or bumps, just itching. I am a little concerned this might be a sign of the cancer coming back. Anyone experience this. Dont be afraid to tell me the truth.
Thanks

Comments

• Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options
    Truthfully......
    I think your allergist needs to get a job at Penneys cause I don't think that is anywhere near true. I think that you need to quit worrying about a re occurence , now that will give you hives and the more ya scratch the more hives you'll have. Nerves give you hives, allergies gives you hives, you made the statement that the itching started right after your chemo was completed. That tells me that you may have had a certain reaction to body changes as the chemo dissipated in your body or certain other meds wore off, or the nervousness we all get when the treatment regimen is over and you find your self alone for the first time in a year without the aid of an Oncologist or Onc nurse as a backup and catcher of all aches and pains. That certainly may cause hives through nerves but a return of the beast, nope, no way. I think if you trust your treatments to do what they should have done then the hives will go away when the worrying does......God Bless ya
  • CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Allergies
    Yep... I agree with Buzz on this one :) Reocurrance of cancer does not give you hives. Allergies give you hives. Nerves give you hives. Stress gives you hives. Nerves and stress together can give you a complete body itch!

As you mentioned, you got hives after you finished your chemo. Keep in mind, chemo is a toxin and systemic. We take so many different meds to fight the side affects of this toxin we put into us and even after we've finished chemo, it continues working for weeks after we finished. Not only that... chemo is "accumulative" so by the time you've done your last chemo session, there's a lot of chemo/toxin build up in your body... is it any wonder our bodies react to that?? Some people react with rashes, some with hives, others with headaches. In my case, the chemo really aggravated my arthritis, plus it did some pretty good nerve damage in my feet. No one has said, "Oh, aggravated arthritis, especially nerve damage in the feet, is a sign of the cancer coming back." Just as saying hives are a sign of returning cancer.

So take a deeeeeep breath and do your body a big favour. Try and eliminate stress and nerves in your life and pick up a good anti-itch cream... and you'll be fine :)

Hugggggs,

Cheryl
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options
    Itchy
    I would think that you being itchy is a sign of the weather more than anything. I'm no expert by any means but this year, no matter what state you are in, has been an extremely harsh winter with much dryness.

Never heard of the itches being a sign of cancer. Hope you feel better soon.

Kim
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options

Allergies
    Yep... I agree with Buzz on this one :) Reocurrance of cancer does not give you hives. Allergies give you hives. Nerves give you hives. Stress gives you hives. Nerves and stress together can give you a complete body itch!

As you mentioned, you got hives after you finished your chemo. Keep in mind, chemo is a toxin and systemic. We take so many different meds to fight the side affects of this toxin we put into us and even after we've finished chemo, it continues working for weeks after we finished. Not only that... chemo is "accumulative" so by the time you've done your last chemo session, there's a lot of chemo/toxin build up in your body... is it any wonder our bodies react to that?? Some people react with rashes, some with hives, others with headaches. In my case, the chemo really aggravated my arthritis, plus it did some pretty good nerve damage in my feet. No one has said, "Oh, aggravated arthritis, especially nerve damage in the feet, is a sign of the cancer coming back." Just as saying hives are a sign of returning cancer.

So take a deeeeeep breath and do your body a big favour. Try and eliminate stress and nerves in your life and pick up a good anti-itch cream... and you'll be fine :)

Hugggggs,

Cheryl

1 more thing........
    My wife gives me hives also.....and shes not a re occurring disease....( maybe just a fungus).nope kiddin really just kiddin!!! trying to lighten it up a little in here...sincerely, step back, deep breath, and live man live !!!
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Options
    Hives
    I've had hives and it's always been a change in detergent or something like that. Never disease related. The allergist sounds off base to me. Stick to your Onc
    -phil
  • tiny one
    tiny one Member Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Itching
    I would be more abt to think it would be the weather, maybe more sensitive skin, dryer skin. Do you have a new pet? Sometimes your skin reacts to them. Are you using any new cleaning products. Nerves will do things to you to. Are you doing any new products on your hair or having color done? God bless.
  • impactzone
    impactzone Member Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    tiny one said:

Itching
    I would be more abt to think it would be the weather, maybe more sensitive skin, dryer skin. Do you have a new pet? Sometimes your skin reacts to them. Are you using any new cleaning products. Nerves will do things to you to. Are you doing any new products on your hair or having color done? God bless.

Never had that issue but I
    Never had that issue but I agree with others that "scanxiety" is more likely a cause.
    Good Luck
    Chip
  • catman
    catman Member Posts: 17
    Options
    Thank You
    Thank you to everyone who responded. It is nice to hear no one has experienced this. I am ususally not a very stressed person so when this stuff pops up, it makes me wonder. I have a friend who had colon cancer, was NED for 3 years and then it reoccured in his lung. So, eventhough I feel great and I am living life to the fullest, reoccurance is still in the back of my mind. Once I get past the 5 year mark I will forget all about this. Thanks again and good luck to all of you. Buzzard - A couple beers a day will take care of that fungus of yours. :)
  • tiny one
    tiny one Member Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    catman said:

Thank You
    Thank you to everyone who responded. It is nice to hear no one has experienced this. I am ususally not a very stressed person so when this stuff pops up, it makes me wonder. I have a friend who had colon cancer, was NED for 3 years and then it reoccured in his lung. So, eventhough I feel great and I am living life to the fullest, reoccurance is still in the back of my mind. Once I get past the 5 year mark I will forget all about this. Thanks again and good luck to all of you. Buzzard - A couple beers a day will take care of that fungus of yours. :)

back of our minds
    I get very very emotional and scared when my scans come up. It's always in the back of my mind too. It's hard for a survivor not to fear this. God bless we're all here for you and we've all been in your shoes. Sending prayers and hugs to you. Might have to do the beer medicinal thing also. Hey Buzzard set up the bar for us, we'll all join ya.